Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Hub Spacer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rruffer
I installed a Momo 8002 hub with the horn/directional turn off ring from my OEM steering wheel. Either due to the ring fitment or cast of the hub, turning the wheel creates a rubbing against the column controls. So sometimes the horn would go off or my high beams would flash. I've sorted some of this out with electrical tape or bending contact plates to avoid the inadvertent contact. I think a better solution, though, would be to space the hub out just a little.

My question is whether the hub actually rests against the C'clip on the steering shaft, so I could insert a washer or two to space out the hub, or is the shaft and hub a tapered fit?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you, as always, to the amazing wealth of knowledge on the Board!!
ThunderbirdDrive
I'm experiencing the very same problem since I installed my Momo hub.
I just added a second c-clip and that pushed the hub out slightly and stopped all rubbing when I turn.

Unfortunately the horn still occasionally goes off when I turn.

It's got me scratching my head.

I installed a new horn contact ring as the old one looked a bit gouged out.
Horn still occasionally goes off on its own.

I do have a bit of free play in the steering colum, so I just ordered the 928 steering bushing quick fix sleeve. Let's see if that makes a difference when it arrives.

How's the free play in your steering column, I'm wondering if this is the route cause?
rruffer

I haven't noticed any free play, but there may be some. I'll need to check. I'll try the additional c clip. I fixed the horn issue by adding some electrical tape along over the column contacts. I just left the "springy" part of the contact exposed.
oakdalecurtis
It's been a long time since I installed my Momo steering wheel, but I remember that I had to grind out small areas inside the hub area to clear certain electrical connectors, it wasn't hard to do with a Dremel tool. Also, since the Momo steering wheels are a smaller diameter than stock, they will typically block part of your view of the tach and speedo. I installed and highly recommend an offset wheel spacer from JWest engineering. This offset spacer will raise the steering wheel about 3/4 of an inch and make gauge visibility vastly better. The offset spacer will also create a bigger gap between the steering wheel and the shifter. This allows for more room there for your right leg . Here's the link to the offset spacer:

http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/home/15-steer...ic-adapter.html

Here are pictures of before and after installation of the offset spacer. This is your view of the dash so you can see for yourself. Even though the steering wheel is no longer exactly concentric with the steering column, in normal driving you cannot tell.
Stock:
Click to view attachment
With offset spacer installed:
Click to view attachment
larryM
QUOTE(rruffer @ Aug 20 2016, 05:06 AM) *

I think a better solution, though, would be to space the hub out just a little.

SMART Racing products 911 momo hub spacer is what you need

it also solves the amusing problem of flipping on the wipers during autocross

it does not appear in their store anymore, so it might take some searchin on ebay for a similar piece

or maybe one of us will go into production?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.