Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Engine Height at the front of the motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I need to know what the correct height of a 914-6 motor is at the front of the motor as shown in the picture. I think my motor is too high at the front.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 20 2016, 08:40 AM) *

I need to know what the correct height of a 914-6 motor is at the front of the motor as shown in the picture. I think my motor is too high at the front.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

Stock mount, real 6
Dayton graduate.
wndsnd
Well my car is a conversion, so my answer is not what you are looking for, but it interested me after seeing your post so I measured it.

I have a modified custom mount and we actually played with it in a couple of variations. First I was concerned about shift rod clearance. Secondly I was concerned with sheet metal fitment.

We finally settled on matching the sheet metal to the engine bay gasketing and shelf, which gave me plenty of clearance on the shift rod.

After all was said and done, measuring like you did in your photo, we are basically dead on together...
My measurement matches yours as shown. FWIW... beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 21 2016, 02:37 PM) *

Well my car is a conversion, so my answer is not what you are looking for, but it interested me after seeing your post so I measured it.

I have a modified custom mount and we actually played with it in a couple of variations. First I was concerned about shift rod clearance. Secondly I was concerned with sheet metal fitment.

We finally settled on matching the sheet metal to the engine bay gasketing and shelf, which gave me plenty of clearance on the shift rod.

After all was said and done, measuring like you did in your photo, we are basically dead on together...
My measurement matches yours as shown. FWIW... beerchug.gif

Thanks for reply John I will check mine when the rain stops and hopefully help the OP also,think my height is correct but PO has cocked up my engine carrier mount and the engine is too far rearwards.
Click to view attachment

Measurements @ the gearbox mounts shows around 15mm out ,ticks me off as he said the mount was a exact copy of an original -6 mount he had the use of for a pattern.
gandalf_025
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 20 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

As John mentioned, if the engine tin lines up with the engine shelf and
gasket on the body, it should be fine.

If it is a factory 6 with a factory mount, there isn't much play to be had.

What doesn't fit that makes you think it is too high ??
jkb944t
Mine is a -6 conversion and I made the engine mount myself to match drawings that I generated from a real -6. Unfortunately I misplaced the drawings of the mount and I don't have the measurements anymore.

The concern is that I don't think the front section of the engine tin matches the seal as well as I would like. I thought my engine might be too high at the front.

It sounds like I might be OK but if anyone has more measurements I am open to listening to suggestions on the correct height. Thanks!

Jeff B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 22 2016, 08:05 AM) *

Mine is a -6 conversion and I made the engine mount myself to match drawings that I generated from a real -6. Unfortunately I misplaced the drawings of the mount and I don't have the measurements anymore.

The concern is that I don't think the front section of the engine tin matches the seal as well as I would like. I thought my engine might be too high at the front.

It sounds like I might be OK but if anyone has more measurements I am open to listening to suggestions on the correct height. Thanks!

Jeff B

Hi Jeff
The picture that I posted illustrates that there is less than a 1/4" difference in height
between your engine and my original 6 engine.
Other measurements ?
......... I think you'll be OK.
Rory
6freak
trans mounted proper ??
mb911
Interesting info here. I remember my last conversion the engine did sit exactly how I wanted it.. I am now actually considering putting my stock 914-6 mount in without the engine being installed. Crazy I know but the stock one fits in only 1 way..
mb911
Interesting info here. I remember my last conversion the engine did sit exactly how I wanted it.. I am now actually considering putting my stock 914-6 mount in without the engine being installed. Crazy I know but the stock one fits in only 1 way..
porschetub
I wasn't able to measure mine as the engine lid is in the way sad.gif ,how have others done this...Rory how did you do yours?
wndsnd
I used the lower lip 3.5" measurement
rgalla9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 23 2016, 07:36 PM) *

I wasn't able to measure mine as the engine lid is in the way sad.gif ,how have others done this...Rory how did you do yours?

I removed the engine lid.
It was the only way to duplicate the measurement provided by the OP.
Kind of difficult to keep the tape measure in place and the camera steady at the same time.
I then spent the afternoon getting back to my carburetors after changing
venturies, mains, idles, emulsions and air corrections two weeks before.
Very nice results.
jkb944t
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 23 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Kind of difficult to keep the tape measure in place and the camera steady at the same time.
I then spent the afternoon getting back my carburetors after changing
Very nice results.

It did take a considerable amount of dexterity and several tries to take that picture.

What did your measurement turn out to be?

Jeff B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 24 2016, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 23 2016, 06:56 PM) *

I then spent the afternoon getting back my carburetors after changing
Very nice results.

It did take a considerable amount of dexterity and several tries to take that picture.

What did your measurement turn out to be?

Jeff B

There is a crease in the metal right behind 5 - 5/16" same references as the OP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.