Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front valance removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi guys,

I'm going to be repairing / repainting the front valance on my '73 and have seen conflicting posts about whether you need to remove the bumper to get the valance off.

I removed the screws in the wheel wells and two screws in the frunk near the headlights which seemed to loosen the valance till it almost comes off. But it seems to be hung up in the center in the area around the license plate...and I don't see any other screws in the frunk. If it's attached to the front bumper, I don't see where.

I'd rather not remove the bumper if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help!

TheCabinetmaker
The fastener for the center is under the shelf below the latch. Iirc.
iankarr
Hmmm. No screw there. I wonder if the PO somehow screwed the valance to the bumper. Or maybe I just need to be a little more forceful with it once the two screws in the frunk and the two in the wheel wells are out.
TheCabinetmaker
Is this a stock valance? If not, there may be a screw behind the bumper.
Larmo63
I thought there were 4 screws along the front and the two 8mm nuts and bolts at either end?
iankarr
it's a stock metal valance. but I only see 2 screws in the trunk. And 2 at the ends.
napasteve
FYI removing bumpers is pretty easy. Evidence: I did it.
iankarr
Ha! Thanks. I know it's only 4 bolts, but...my luck the bolts would get stuck halfway out...or in.

Of course, I may not have a choice wink.gif
iankarr
Ok. Mission accomplished. For the record...you do not need to remove the bumper to take off the front valance. There are 6 total screws...

2 (one on each side) which attach the upper edge of the valance to the bottom edge of the fender

2 (one on each side) philips-head screws in the wheel well below the bumper bolts

2 phillips-head screws in the front trunk, just below where the false floor sits, and about 6 inches in from each headlight bucket.

Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.