Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 911 question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Sorry to post this here, but many of you own 911,s also.

So my 1984 is charging at 12 Vdc.
How hard is it to remove the alternator whole motor is in the car, 3.2
Is the regulator part of the alternator?
Do I need special tools to get it out?

I will bring it to my favorite place and have them rebuild it.

Rich
injunmort
i helped a friend do his on 1988 2 years ago. removing the alternator was pretty straight forward, no special tools. if i remember correctly, the regulator is part of the alternator.
amfab
If I remember correctly from my 84, the regulator is part of the alternator.
I started to write up how to do this from memory, but:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...emoval-car.html

...is probably a better resource.

Special tools:definitely a magnetic pickup tool for this one
porschetub
HHHHmmmmm,now that looks easy,in a 914????
flyer86d
Yes it has an internal regulator and can be changed without removing the engine. I did the one on my 1983 Targa years back in a shopping center parking lot with the factory tool kit. It probably is a Paris-Rhone alternator if it is the original which is pricey but there is an identical aftermarket replacement at half the price.

You have to unbolt the strap, remove the small bolts that attach the fan housing to the engine shroud, pull the fan and housing out as a unit far enough to unbolt the wires to the alternator and take out the whole lot. Carefully pop off the fan, unbolt the alternator from the housing. As the manual says, installation is simply the reverse of the removal!

Charlie
mepstein
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 21 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Yes it has an internal regulator and can be changed without removing the engine. I did the one on my 1983 Targa years back in a shopping center parking lot with the factory tool kit. It probably is a Paris-Rhone alternator if it is the original which is pricey but there is an identical aftermarket replacement at half the price.

You have to unbolt the strap, remove the small bolts that attach the fan housing to the engine shroud, pull the fan and housing out as a unit far enough to unbolt the wires to the alternator and take out the whole lot. Carefully pop off the fan, unbolt the alternator from the housing. As the manual says, installation is simply the reverse of the removal!

Charlie

agree.gif have it rebuilt $100-120
Check the mag fan housing for cracks. If it's cracked, or the fan is damaged, send it to Ben/ MB911 for repair.
PanelBilly
Be careful with that fan. They are expensive to repair. Also, don't loose the spacer washers on the nut that holds the belt on. By the way if the regulator was external, you'd see it in the engine compartment
larryM

also worth looking at this thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ternatives.html

i had an 89 3.2 alternator that was "frozen" in the housing (FLA salt-air car) - so the shop rebuilt it inside the housing

- i have a spare '88 fan/alt/hsg just in case

Drums66
.......Internal regulator(alternator)
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.