Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost of Rebuilding 6 cyl. Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
What is a average cost of rebuilding stock weber carbs for a six cyl?

The prices seem to range from to 250.00 ea. to the moon.

Thanks

Gene
mepstein
Depends what is getting "rebuilt". $250 gets things clean and some new gaskets but not a rebuild.
xsurfer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2016, 08:05 AM) *

Depends what is getting "rebuilt". $250 gets things clean and some new gaskets but not a rebuild.

Good point! I'm looking for properly cleaned. No machine work.

Thanks

Gene
gereed75
Performance Oriented is the place!!
Mark Henry
Cost of rebuild depends the condition of the shafts and bushings, plus how much you can do yourself. If you see carbon tracing beginning at the shafts and butterflies the shafts and bushings need service.

Performance Orientated is the carb rebuild guru, even if you can't afford their service I recommend you read their entire tech section before you start.
http://www.performanceoriented.com/

If your shafts are good, these are some of the basic parts costs

Rebuild gasket set $100
New venturies set $100, likely needed if going beyond stock engine.
F3 emulsion tubes $60, upgrade
Plus jets
Good pressure regulator $100

Also get a couple extra sets of Idle Mixture Adjusting Screw O-rings, they need to be replaced every couple of years.

http://youroil.net/weber_carb_parts.html
xsurfer
Thanks!

Great source for parts reasonable prices.

Gene
toolguy
As previously indicated, cost depend on level of rebuild. . which to me
mean complete disassemble, remove all the galley plugs to insure passages
are clear of obstructions / corrosion. Throttle shafts in 40 year old Webbers
may often need bushings which is $$$ more. . parts can be estimated but labor and machine work wont be known until you get them apart. and how good they are to start with. . It would not be out of the ordinary for them to cost close to $2000 for a professional level rebuild.

Just swapping gaskets and jets is another matter. . cheaper of course, but may not fix the root case of 40 year old carburetor issues.

And when I do them, I hot run them on a test motor. . That way I know there are no issues, and have the balance and jetting close to start with. . Makes life much simpler once they are back on their motor. . Wonder what a 'Pro Shop' would charge for this. .
'73-914kid
Henry Schmidt at Supertec is now rebuilding them properly as well. He doesn't have the backlog that Paul Abbott has either, so the'll get done quicker.
ConeDodger
I agree with the idea that it depends on the level of rebuild. McMark at Original Customs will take your carbs apart, clean them meticulously and put them back together for you. That will cost you $X. Or, and he prefers this because restoration is in his nature, he will take them apart, soda blast the bodies, plate or replace the parts and meticulously put them back together. That will cost you $X+. You get what you pay for...
larryM
if you DIY - be aware that all eBay gasket kits are not the same

some have ALL the required items & o-rings & pump diaphragms , others don't

i get all my weber parts from Mike Pierce at Pierce Manifolds - he also will rebuild 'em

fwiw i paid $125 each for Mike's COMPLETE 40IDA kits, at his physical store in Gilroy

- i have 4 new kits on shelf - no longer running webers - (make an offer - anybody)

Mark Henry
I know the ones I listed are for the pair of carbs and included the accelerator pump diaphragms, needle valves, O-rings and washers.
IIRC the only thing it didn't include was the carb top to air cleaner gasket.
They are the east coast PMO distributor.
db9146
When I checked with one of the rebuilders in the back of Excellence last year for a set of original Weber -6 carbs, I was quoted a price of about $2800 for a mechanical rebuild that did not include in cosmetic freshening. To get the carbs looking nice as well, that was going to be closer to $3600, IIRC.

Pretty steep....
wndsnd
Mine were rebuilt in 2014 for $1400, and tested to run. These were done in CT by a well known Weber guy that mostly works on Webers for Cobras. Thankfully they were set up for a hot 2.7.

They were plug and play, idle well, and run strong and hard.

Mine also did not include a cosmetic rebuild.

Jiminglese.com

Great guy to talk with.
rgalla9146
Pierce manifolds did my 6 Weber bodies in July of '09
Delivered to them empty and clean.
They replaced shafts, and all necessary associated hardware.
They also provided two full kits, one set of mains, an air correction jet and an idle jet.
$450 labor, $ 894 total.
Assembled and set them up myself.
Happy with their work.
Mark Henry
My carbs had (have) good shafts and were in very good condition so I did them myself in pinesol and used the parts that I posted above.

Below is how I cleaned them

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...109676&st=0
porschetub
I did my Zeniths and it was a great project,found the spindles and bushes were ok thank god,I cleaned the bodies in petrol then sent them to my engine machinist and he hot tanked them for a short time only.
I found the following;
1 x broken air bleed screw ,PO had glued the top piece in!!!!
1 x blocked pump jet nozzle
6 x pump diaphrams split /perished
1 x throat not closing
1 x missing idle jet (engine not run for a long time)
1 x corroded soft accelerator diaphram spring.
After cleaning the carb bodies came up nice with no ill effect to the alloy after tanking,next job was to remove the broken air bleed which was firmly stuck in there.
Got the screw remains out which if not successful would have resulted in the LH side carb being nothing more that scrap.
The parts I ordered came from Italy and these kits have all you need plus ,other parts were additional in the order.
As Mark Henry has shown in his thread it is fairly easy to do a rebuild if you don't need to factor in the cost of rebushing the spindles and cad plating all the bits that bolt on the outside which collectively is a fair chunk of the rebuild cost.

Catorse
With bushing issues, mine were $2100......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.