Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 hot rod build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marksGTV
I bought a car earlier this year. I'm probably crazy to be taking this on but I've always wanted a 914.

It's fundamentally a solid runner with some nice upgrades such as a 911 suspension.
I've already changed my mind on the direction a couple of times. Was going to build up the Non-original 1.8 motor to a screaming 2.7. My buddy Rich was going to do the build. But now I've located and purchased a really nice 3 liter from a '79 911.

The car will eventually be black. The body has been stripped and have added some nice, subtle flairs to hold some cool AR torque thrust wheels. We had to replace/repair a couple of small rusty areas...nothing too bad. It's now super-solid. I also found a pair of old Scheel 914 bucket seats. They'll need to be redone. Anyway, lots more needs to be accomplished but it's looking pretty good so far.

I really can't wait to drive the darn thing as I've heard nothing but praise about the 914s handling. Hope you enjoy watching the progress. I've enjoyed seeing so many terrific build threads here in the 'World'.
Thanks for looking
MM
marksGTV
Here's some photos
Cracker
Very nice...I'll look forward to seeing it come along.

Trev
marksGTV
Thanks Reverand

Here's some other shots

marksGTV
Going to add as many photos as I can. I just bought a solid alloy 914 MOMO hub. I've become a bit of a MOMO steering wheel nut and have a few nice ones that I use for the 911 that would look great in this car.
marksGTV
This is a really rare, early MOMO: a Montecarlo. The horn button is a recreation.
marksGTV
Had to do some metal work to the rear end
marksGTV
I also really like the look and feel of the early, flat-spoked, first-gen prototipo.
Larmo63
Interesting how your trunk has both jack clamp/receiver set-ups. Looks like a great project.

Oh, and welcome.png
marksGTV
Thanks Lawrence, I'm sure it won't take long for you guys to realize that I have A LOT to learn about the 914. I need to familiarize myself with the area you're talking about.
marksGTV
The seats are in rough shape but I dig the design and they should look cool once they're re-covered...need new Sheel emblems too. There's a place in Germany that has them. I'll try to dig out the link.
marksGTV
Here's what it looked like when I started.
Click to view attachment
marksGTV
Floors are mostly ok...needs cleaning and maybe a bit of scraping :-)
marksGTV
...kind of going backwards here...this is some of the nastiness we found after removing a few things...now all repaired
marksGTV
lots of bondo in the fenders and quarters so we replaced them with new ones all around

marksGTV
Sorry to be going out of sequence here...my photos are unorganized
marksGTV
I don't know but I'd imagine the handling dynamic of a six cylinder compared to a four is quite different. ...can't wait to see for myself.
marksGTV
I have a bit of a vintage Heuer fetish. Heuer was the go to watch manufacterer for motorsports. Most of the top F1 drivers in the '60s and '70s had Heuers around their wrist...but I'm sure you already knew that.

My 911 has a set of dash timers and a Halda Twinmaster. I hope to do the same or similar with the 914.
marksGTV
More Heuer
marksGTV
911 hot rod...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.