Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 verses 2.0 performance oreinted rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I have started to research rebuild options for a project that I want to take on later this year. I currently have a fairly clean bone stock fuel injected 1.8 engine with 50,00 miles.

I want to build an engine that puts out around 120-30 hp and has good middle to top end power. I mostly do AX and an occasional track run. I'm not terribly concerned about classifications etc. I just want an engine that keeps me out of the way of faster cars during track days and can put me into the running for top ten times in autocrosses

It seems to be that most think I should buy a 2.0 engine and build a 2056. Are there options with my 1.8 case and heads? What are disadvantages of using a 1.8 and increasing displacement?

Trekkor
Rich Bontempi knows how to make a 1.8 perform. Call him.
Jake Raby
There is nothing magic with the 2.0 engine. The heads are the best performers as is, but the 1.8 heads can be made to work very well, especially with a plug relocation to the 2.0 position. The 1.8 heads are much stronger in the chambers than the 2 liters.

1.8 base heads comprise the majority of my engine combos. You can build a solid 1911cc engine from the base of a 1.8 and have a stronger rod journal and crank at the same time.

It's all in the combo.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2005, 09:15 PM)
There is nothing magic with the 2.0 engine. The heads are the best performers as is, but the 1.8 heads can be made to work very well, especially with a plug relocation to the 2.0 position. The 1.8 heads are much stronger in the chambers than the 2 liters.

1.8 base heads comprise the majority of my engine combos. You can build a solid 1911cc engine from the base of a 1.8 and have a stronger rod journal and crank at the same time.

It's all in the combo.

So a 1911cc with a cam etc could be a good option compared to dumping my current 1.8 engine and buying a 2.0 if I'm not caught up in classing? What type of reliable hp could I expect using the stock fuel injection on a 1911cc combo with a hot cam? Is 1911cc the biggest I can safely go starting with a 1.8 and using stock fuel injection?

Seems to me that this may be most economical route for me since I know my current engine is fairly sound.

ChrisFoley
IMO, the stock FI is a poor choice if you want 130hp performance from a 1.8-1.9L.
On the other hand, it isn't too hard to find 140hp from a carbed 1832 (94x66), as I did with my current back-up race engine.
The engine is very reliable and I don't need to rev it past 6500rpm.
Best of all, except for some of the head work I built it myself. smile.gif
Since you aren't restricted by rules the way I am you could use 96mm pistons and slightly oversize ss valves. With some good head work, 11:1 compression, a nice cam like the Web 86a, hd single valve springs, Weber 44IDFs with 34-36mm venturis, and a proper exhaust system, you would have at least 140hp.
It would be very driveable with power coming on around 4500 and good to 6500rpm.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Apr 14 2005, 05:06 AM)
IMO, the stock FI is a poor choice if you want 130hp performance from a 1.8-1.9L.
On the other hand, it isn't too hard to find 140hp from a carbed 1832 (94x66), as I did with my current back-up race engine.
The engine is very reliable and I don't need to rev it past 6500rpm.
Best of all, except for some of the head work I built it myself. smile.gif
Since you aren't restricted by rules the way I am you could use 96mm pistons and slightly oversize ss valves. With some good head work, 11:1 compression, a nice cam like the Web 86a, hd single valve springs, Weber 44IDFs with 34-36mm venturis, and a proper exhaust system, you would have at least 140hp.
It would be very driveable with power coming on around 4500 and good to 6500rpm.

I'm not wedded to the idea of keeping FI. So it sounds like I could accompish my goal of around 130 hp or even more by doing a 1911 with carbs. Where is a good source for webbers these days? I figure I should pick up a set since I hear remaining supply may be thin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.