Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith914
Looking for advice/experience with after market fuel injection with twin throttle bodies and fuel rails to replace twin carbs on 2.36 type 1V -- references to existing info will be a big help.
Keith914
Thanks Mark, just what I was looking for.
Mark Henry
MS and SDS is the two main systems most have used here.

Another system that is very cheap is the Gotech MFI from South Africa, but I don't think anyone has tried it here. I asked last spring and it was 6000 South African Rand (system 5000SAR and 1000SAR shipping), that's about $500 USD shipped for the Pro X system. Included the basic wire harness and that was a built system not just a kit.

http://www.gotech.co.za/shop/index.php?mai...1b43b14c7f49883
Randal
I used Link on my 2.4 race engine. Had to dyno to create the map, but otherwise the system was bulletproof.
rhodyguy
So that's 500 JUST for the ECU, yes?

I'm willing to wager that you will have the better part of 3k, in all likelyhood more, in the COMPLETE package after the dust settles. By the time you are done you will have gone from the front to the rear of the fuel system while you're in there. Not for the feint of heart.

What are you currently using for an ignition and will your cam support fuel injection?
McMark
In my opinion, all fuel injection systems should be dyno tuned. Watching someone who has to tools and knows what they're doing is eye-opening.

I'm a HUGE fan of MicroSquirt for 4cyl engines. Mostly because you can run wasted spark without any add-ons.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 22 2016, 12:21 PM) *

So that's 500 JUST for the ECU, yes?

I'm willing to wager that you will have the better part of 3k, in all likelyhood more, in the COMPLETE package after the dust settles. By the time you are done you will have gone from the front to the rear of the fuel system while you're in there. Not for the feint of heart.

What are you currently using for an ignition and will your cam support fuel injection?

Yep all aftermarket FI systems you will still need the TB's, pump, reg, dizzy or crank trigger, wideband O2 meter, etc.

The Gotech does come with a wiring harness and has ignition programmed in. You would have to buy a trigger wheel and sensor.
Once you add the harness it's at least half the price of a probuilt MS and you have to buy things like the crank trigger, etc. as well.
One nice thing is it does have a rich/lean pot like the SDS, so with a wideband you can avoid leaning it out when you are programing.
We just need a guinea pig. biggrin.gif

No way can you do FI cheaper than carbs, except for a 6 as the price of good webers are skyrocketing and then you still need ignition.
If you want to keep costs down with lower HP you can use a good deal of the stock FI intake, pump and regulator. You can also use a stock ignition with all the systems then upgrade later.

Gotech harness, except for shrink tube and no case on the rich/lean pot it looks a lot like my SDS harness. Not sure what the 2nd pot is for.
Doesn't look like it includes a separate injector harness and I'd say you have to make the bulk of your connections/connectors to to actual sensors.
Says it can be configured to run batch or sequential and direct fire, wasted spark or dizzy. The DB9 cable would be for programing.
They also have a FB page search "Gotech MFI".

IPB Image
falcor75
I bought most of my parts except for the ECU from Mario @thedubshop.net.
Trigger wheel, sensors, coils etc. One stop shop for turning a t4 onto the dark path of aftermarket fuel injection.... biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 22 2016, 10:02 AM) *

just watched the first one- interesting to see how inconsistent the firing signal is from stock points vst the electronic, and even better on the 123- I suppose the same variations may be found in the trigger points plate for injector firing too. in the future as it gets harder to find those trigger points plate this may be our only option on d-jet cars for a replacement -
but to answer another post, the 123 is for stock d-jet cars -
Keith914
I have now read enough to convince this "neophyte" that I will spend time and a little money improving my twin Weber carb linkage and add two more fuel filters to each carb. I will look for options to improve the precision of spark timing, -- we spend considerable time finding and setting 34 degrees for #1, then rely on the distributor to time the other three spark plugs -- difficult to see how such a small device in the distributor can give precise timing for all plugs whether magnetic or points.
Nogoodwithusernames
While I have no experience with the type IV as of yet, I did recently finish building a 1745cc T1 motor for my Squareback. I decided to dive in and do an EFI setup, and I must say, I love it. Both for bragging rights as well as for ease of tuning and how well it runs.
Mario at the dub shop if certainly a great resource and I got my whole harness/sensors from him, and had him do some board mods and finish up my ECU.

It did cost me a fair bit more than throwing on a set of carbs, but I can do so much more and tune it to run exactly how I want. I also did mostly new parts but a fair amount of builds have been done quite frugally and work great.

Start reading up over on shoptalk forums and see all the pros and cons, but my $0.02 is go with FI aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.