Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front windshield removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
My car goes to paint next week, still has the original window and metal trim. I don't want to damage it. And I've heard about the clips being easily broken as well-

dangrouche
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 21 2016, 07:48 PM) *

My car goes to paint next week, still has the original window and metal trim. I don't want to damage it. And I've heard about the clips being easily broken as well-

what is your priority? Want it painted perfectly beneath the trim?
remove the glass for re-installation?

here is my thread on installation of new glass

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235156

The plastic clips must be cut off to remove the trim unbent.

The glass must be absent in order to install the new clips.

If the glass is not removed, the only alternative is for the painter to do his best to paint at the trim where it meets the chassis.
Guberif
Hussey @ AA puts out a good windshield removal / install step by step brochure
DRPHIL914
I looked over the other threads on this - it seems if we cut thoseplastic clips I should be able to remove the windshield with out bending the trim. I was very specific about this with my paint/body shop. I guess the worst is if the trim gets bent I can install the rubber seal from 914 rubber .
I'd like to keep it original as I can. That's why im not painting the front or rear trunks- they are still in original color and in good shape.

anyway - most agree- cut clips, take metal trim off safely, remove windshield then replace with new clips.

porschetub
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 25 2016, 06:34 AM) *

I looked over the other threads on this - it seems if we cut thoseplastic clips I should be able to remove the windshield with out bending the trim. I was very specific about this with my paint/body shop. I guess the worst is if the trim gets bent I can install the rubber seal from 914 rubber .
I'd like to keep it original as I can. That's why im not painting the front or rear trunks- they are still in original color and in good shape.

anyway - most agree- cut clips, take metal trim off safely, remove windshield then replace with new clips.

Phil I wish you luck with this and have been following your resto with interest.
My car is critically (in my estimation) an 8 out of 10,my windscreen trim is not even close,the OP had a new screen fitted and the glass monkey tore out the trim like he had new stuff to replace it with...
The trim wasn't fitted when I got the car but atleast I had a quality screen refitted sad.gif ,the trim was bent so much the anodizing had cracks in it,3 hrs later it fitted just ok and no better,I have to suck that up cause it is to costly for me to import better trim.
Take it slowly and hopefully someone hasn't glued it in,it is very soft and easily bent.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 21 2016, 09:48 PM) *

As others have stated, cut the clips and remove the trim and windshield. The trim often covers rust. Water does get behind the trim. IIRC the windshield install kit is about 40 to 50 bucks. Installing the windshield is not all that difficult and well worth the effort.
jd74914
agree.gif

After pulling the trim removing the windshield is pretty easy usually if you carefully saw through the butyl with a piano wire. You just have to make sure no one puts too much tension on the glass. Its pretty scary (after the fact), but I've now seen 2 cars where the butyl had dried up and the only thing holding the windshield in was the trim.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 25 2016, 09:04 AM) *

agree.gif

After pulling the trim removing the windshield is pretty easy usually if you carefully saw through the butyl with a piano wire. You just have to make sure no one puts too much tension on the glass. Its pretty scary (after the fact), but I've now seen 2 cars where the butyl had dried up and the only thing holding the windshield in was the trim.

Ed said he remembers seeing "Made in W. Germany" on your windshield, Phil.
That means there's a good chance the original butyl is dried out as Jim noted.
If so, you should have an easy time getting the old glass out without damage.

Use 5/16" butyl tape to reinstall, not 1/4".
jhora
The one word for windshield removal is:

pa·tience
ˈpāSHəns
noun
the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

Go slow take your time and watch the corners.....
914fahrer
Here is a picture from the original tool ,to open the clips .

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
thanks for that picture and the information, - to avoid a bad thing happening at the paint shop I am going to pull the trim myself with a friend, it the trim comes out and the butly is dry, I will have to remove it before taking the car over to the shop sunday night. if its tight I will let them remove it? or should I ? because if they break it I will be pissed but it is a shop that is always working on old cars so this is probably not anyting new to them-

Chris - yes it says West Germany and may very well be original so I do want to save it - but just in case I have been in contact with Richard at prosource glass and he can have a Sekurit windshield to me in a week for under $500 if needed - they have the clear and the green with the shade band across the top- so we have a choice.

where can I buy the installation kit with the butyl and clips.?

VWTortuga336
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 25 2016, 08:04 AM) *

I've now seen 2 cars where the butyl had dried up and the only thing holding the windshield in was the trim.

Mine was the same way. There was NO resistance when I lifted the windshield after removing the trim. Mine had a stress crack form on the lower driver's side corner a few days after removal as well.
green914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 25 2016, 06:04 AM) *

agree.gif

Good tech tips on windshield removal. I used a guitar string this morning, and it cut through the butyl like butter. Windshield is out, and one step closer to the media blast.
Thanks guys, smilie_pokal.gif
Jerry
draganc
I "removed" my trip, w/o any damage, actually by accident at the car wash.

I used a pressure washer to wash my car and got the wand too close in between the windshield and the trim. The was jet lifted the trim off w/o any damage. I was able too just peel it off.

Just a FYI
dangrouche
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 25 2016, 09:15 AM) *

thanks for that picture and the information, - to avoid a bad thing happening at the paint shop I am going to pull the trim myself with a friend, it the trim comes out and the butly is dry, I will have to remove it before taking the car over to the shop sunday night. if its tight I will let them remove it? or should I ? because if they break it I will be pissed but it is a shop that is always working on old cars so this is probably not anyting new to them-

Chris - yes it says West Germany and may very well be original so I do want to save it - but just in case I have been in contact with Richard at prosource glass and he can have a Sekurit windshield to me in a week for under $500 if needed - they have the clear and the green with the shade band across the top- so we have a choice.

where can I buy the installation kit with the butyl and clips.?

clips and the spacers can be bought from 914rubber.com and butyl can be bought at Amazon, or any auto body supply. Do not buy urethane.
McMark
Count on it breaking. sad.gif

And if it doesn't, do a happy dance.
DRPHIL914
Thanks for the tips- this might wait until after the Okteenerfest- there are a few more mechanics to sort thru and its adding up- so I may have to table the paint and all that goes with that until later-
gandalf_025
Got the original windshield out of my car last year.. Car has 56,000 miles maybe.
Got it out and had it sitting on some blankets.
Wife said.. You should put that somewhere safe so it doesn't get broken.
I took it up to my storage area and the wind grabbed the storm door and hit the windshield, cracking it.
Now I need a new windshield when I get to that point in the reassembly...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.