Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Mid Engine car in the stable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
Well, after much discussing, looking, more discussing, more looking, saving money, more discussing, more looking, I finally picked up a Cayman S (2007 with 62k miles).
I know understand the heaps of praise the car mags have for this car. VERY nice and a good addition to the 993 and 914! (Now to use my excess energy to worry and consider next steps related IMS bearing)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is my 914 (the orange one) at a recent autocross.
Click to view attachment

One of my 993 at VIR under heavy braking! With the rise of 993 values, It looks like the Cayman will take the 993s place at the track.
Click to view attachment
Dion
Nice lookin' Cayman. I like that blue. Lots of luck with it.
iankarr
Congrats!

My daily driver is a 2009 Cayman. 90k miles and just as fun as when it was new. Interesting also to see how the 914 really feels related, right?

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Beautiful car!!!

I have a 2007 Cayman also. Love it. Still feels like a brand new car when driving it.
Krieger
Don't you need to disassemble the engine to change out the IMS on that year?
Cupomeat
Nice looking Caymans! Yes, there is more than just a family resemblance to the 914!! As for the IMS, I am very interested in details as I was not aware that the 2007 had anything specific to disassembling the entire motor for it, but am learning more each day.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 22 2016, 12:55 AM) *

Don't you need to disassemble the engine to change out the IMS on that year?

Yes, it is correct that the 987 engines require full disassembly for the IMS replacement.
SO, that means I run the engine until it dies...
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 21 2016, 08:15 PM) *

I finally picked up a Cayman S

Welcome to the Club. welcome.png
jrblackbox
Great looking car and color! Best of luck!!
BillC
Great car! cheer.gif

I'm on my third Cayman, and never had a serious problem with any of them (each new one was an upgrade from the previous). They're all a helluva lot of fun to drive on track, and don't require significant mods until you really start going fast.
Amphicar770
Sweet car. It is a shame that Porsche never stepped up and took responsibility for the IMS engineering defect. I read elsewhere that the IMS is called "the revenge of the 99%".
anthony
The Cayman is my next Porsche! I'm getting tired of 40 year sports cars. :-)

I think you can install one of those Direct Oil Feed bearing covers on a 2007. It puts an oil line directly into the IMS bearing keeping it lubricated with fresh oil all the time.

(Note: I have no direct experience with this product. I just heard about it when I was research some stuff and came across this video on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUq2DFpeKw
Cupomeat
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 23 2016, 04:48 PM) *

The Cayman is my next Porsche! I'm getting tired of 40 year sports cars. :-)

I think you can install one of those Direct Oil Feed bearing covers on a 2007. It puts an oil line directly into the IMS bearing keeping it lubricated with fresh oil all the time.

(Note: I have no direct experience with this product. I just heard about it when I was research some stuff and came across this video on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUq2DFpeKw

Interesting, but I think I had to do a full disassembly on the motor to put the feed line in properly so I am back to a full tear down anyway.

I did some looking for used Cayman S motors and they are about $12k, without any papers of condition and just a simple warrantee.

SO, I guess it is time to just drive it and worry later.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 22 2016, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 21 2016, 08:15 PM) *

I finally picked up a Cayman S

Welcome to the Club. welcome.png

THat is a beautiful car! NICE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.