Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Maps!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Google Maps

type in someplace, willow springs international raceway for example.

or your home address. then zoom all the way in.

Freaky.

Or Iraq.

Or LAX

Or Burning Man

Or Nurenburgring

Or Stuttgart

Its freaking cooooooooooool.

correction, its only US here.

heres the article

wired article
Lou W
Wow that's cool, Just checked out my house, the pictures are at least 1 year old. I wonder how often theyre updated? smile.gif
MattR
Damn, if you could zoom in ONE more time I bet you could see my 914 on jack stands biggrin.gif

They are pretty recent pictures. My high school is post construction, which means its within the last 2 years.
Lyressa Roberts
aktion035.gif That is TOO cool!!!
Rhodes71/914
Very Cool!
I love maps.
skline
Yeah, they are not that current, I typed in my address and they show the Ikea center still under construction. Its been done for about a year now. It's still pretty cool.
GWN7
some areas you can get closer than others....

Pic of the farm and my private lake...

GWN7
oops....mostly lake in that one

Joseph Mills
Here's my MapQuest from last year.

Check out my yellow teener in the driveway. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
now it would be really cool if you could type in "all 914s parked in driveways" and it searches and gives you maps of all 914s in the US that were parked in driveways that day ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Rand
Another one is terraserver.microsoft.com
SirAndy
i checked all the usual AX venue places, no luck sad.gif

but look what i found at candlestick park ... any 49er fans around here ???
dan10101
Dang,
All our neighbors have pools except us.... blink.gif

No new garage in that picture.

Dan
brickmaster, sheetrocker, framer, electrician, plumber...
FriarJohn
Take a trip:

Google Sightseeing

Image are definitely over a year old. There's no garage at my house.
i love porsche
you can see on the passaic river, all the crew boats! i wouldnt be suprised if this was me in high school

looks like a centipede lol
Qarl
type in Miles Hendrix

skline
Did you guys check out area 51? This is just outside north of Vegas. Can anyone explain what the triangle with the circles is?
URY914
There is a very big nudist resort just North of Tampa. But I couldn't see anyone playing volleyball. mad.gif

New York City is cool.

Paul
Demick
I was looking at this a few weeks ago. Very cool. I love how you can switch back and forth between the maps and satellite images and you get the exact same view - but with the maps you get the street names.

I looked up my work, and noticed that the parking lot was empty - so I figured it must have been taken on a weekend. I guess Andy's pic of Candlestick confirmed that. Would'a been cool if GGR was having an autocross that day.

Here's my house. I didn't even know the dog park that I live next to had trails in the shape of a dog bone until I saw this picture. Ha Ha.

Demick
Demick
Here's our Alameda autocross site. Could almost use this to make course maps!

Demick
brer
Name that plane.
URY914
Big Bad B-2
skline
Hey Demmick, you have the largest yard in your neighborhood. Must be nice. Lots of storage for 914 parts and cars.
CptTripps
When that came out a few weeks ago, that's all we did all day...Cool stuff.
Demick
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 14 2005, 07:55 AM)
Hey Demmick, you have the largest yard in your neighborhood. Must be nice. Lots of storage for 914 parts and cars.

Hey Scott. Yes, I do have the largest lot in the neighborhood. But unfortunately there is no real way to get vehicle access to the back yard - which means no parts cars. Come to think of it, that's probably a good thing!

Demick
slapshot914
Yup! There's my parts car behind the house.

Rand
Could almost use this to make course maps!

terraserver will get WAY closer than Google. I like the way Google works better, but I'm betting terraserver would get close enough to make your course map. If you use the address search method, choose the "Urban areas 2002" if available (or newest option).

Here's the Space Needle:

user posted image
MattR
No joke guys. Here it is!
SirAndy
still no AX in action, but we left a few tracks ... biggrin.gif

Golden Gate Fields:
SirAndy
Candle Stick Park

SirAndy
Marina

note how old that pic is, not just because it's black/white but also the whole area around the entrance to the site looks completely different now ...
i guess it has been used for AX for quite a while!
indydad
The privacy rights people are going nuts over this and homeland defense is not happy. I've heard this may come down. Not probable, but I deal with aerial photography and electronic data distribution in my job and there are forces out there to make everything available and some to restrict alot of stuff. This is a developing technology. Cool though, huh?
Old Dad
INDY
lapuwali
My 914 is also parked in my driveway in the Google sat view. It's been parked around the corner for weeks, so the photo has to be reasonably old. My wife's car isn't next to it, so I'll bet this was taken on a Saturday morning, as it's obviously a weekend from the office lots, yet she's pretty much always at home on the weekend except for Sat. morning. No Type 3 visible, so it's at least four months old.

As for Terraview "getting closer", I think they use aircraft shots, not sat photos, at least for the closest resolution views. The Google photos look to be about 0.5m resolution, given a 914 looks like three colored blobs: hood, black top, trunklid.
lapuwali
QUOTE (indydad @ Apr 14 2005, 10:47 AM)
The privacy rights people are going nuts over this and homeland defense is not happy. I've heard this may come down. Not probable, but I deal with aerial photography and electronic data distribution in my job and there are forces out there to make everything available and some to restrict alot of stuff. This is a developing technology. Cool though, huh?
Old Dad
INDY

It's not just Google, as pointed out previously. Mapquest and Microsoft also have their own versions. Microsoft's version has been out for years, and uses publicly available USGS images. If Homeland Security is worried about this, they'll need to shut down the USGS, or substantially restrict what it publishes. Even that won't stop it, as there are non-US firms providing this stuff, too. SpotImage, in France, has been provided these images for quite some time now, and are hardly subject to US governmental control.
Demick
Too cool!

Andy - that shot at Candlestick showing all of the tracks was taken less than a week after the GGR autocross school - that's why there are so many different overlapping tracks rather than just one as you would expect from an autox course.

gopack
Since we are on the subject, I like Terraserver better. these are 1 meter resolution pictures! Pretty amazing for a satallite photo. Here is a picture of Lambeau Field with my childhood home circled! (had to give the home of ght Packers equal time since some one posted "the Stick".

GO PACK!
roundboy914
Cool, but scary.
Must be Scary Cool then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.