Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations for sway bar grease?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
I installed sway bars front & rear recently, and now I'm getting squeaking from the front (after about 100 miles of driving). I believe the problem is the grease I used is no longer properly lubricating the bushings on the through-body bar. Can anyone please recommend a good grease to use for these bushings?

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Is this a stock sway bar?
Krieger
I use Swepco 101 on just about everything I grease on the car.
BillC
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 22 2016, 11:24 AM) *

Is this a stock sway bar?

Yes, stock sway bar with new stock rubber bushings.
TheCabinetmaker
Petroleum products are bad for rubber. I've never greased a sway bar bushing. At the very most, some glycerine if they are hard to go in
Ian Stott
No grease on my stock system, no squeaks.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Catorse
If you have ever seen actual sway bar grease, you will know why you want to use it. It's dense, kind of like melted brown sugar and really hard to get off your hands. Not like normal grease at all.

Look up Energy Sway bar grease.
turnaround89
If you're dead set on greasing the sway bar, just make sure the grease is rated GC-LB and don't buy your grease from Wal-Mart EVER!

Bulldog9
I have had a tub of synthetic caliper grease that I use on just about anything. Doesn't wash out, or dry out, doesn't attack the rubber. Is great stuff.
zach914v8
Here at work we use dielectric grease on anything rubber. Dielectric will not deteriorate the rubber. O-rings bushing ect. Petroleum based products are really bad for rubber.
NeunEinVier
Never heard of anyone lubing rubber sway bar bushings. Polyurethane yes (they squeak like crazy once the silicone grease is gone), but not rubber.
6freak
remove it smile.gif
76-914
Wrong size bushings? FWIW, Dow just changed the name and appearance of their siliconized grease. It was in a large green tube and called #111, IIRC. It's now called Moly something or other but still labeled #111.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.