Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Cam for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

Wondering if any of the dash cams out there would work for an autox? Also what one does to cover not only the front, but the rear?

mepstein
Doesn't everyone just use gopros these days.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2016, 09:54 AM) *

Doesn't everyone just use gopros these days.

Pretty much. It's what I would buy if I was doing this.
Andyrew
Dash cams are great but you get 1 minute clips stiched together. You could loose 1/2 a second of film.

For the price a Gopro is what I would go with.

I have a dash cam in my daily and like it. I would just shop around on Amazon in your price range and features. Grab something on Prime with lots of positive comments.

Last one I bought was right at $100 camera started failing after a year of direct sun exposure (parked outside). Still records but is funky sometimes.

It is nice if you hard wire it in, you basically dont have to worry about turning the recording on or off.
SirAndy
I'm very happy with the gopro. I'm using their rollbar mount and it's been working great.
smile.gif
pvollma
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 22 2016, 11:24 AM) *

Wondering if any of the dash cams out there would work for an autox? Also what one does to cover not only the front, but the rear?

I got mine from The Dashcam Store. Mine only records the front, but has a nice wide angle and includes a GPS option and an application that shows the Google map route dynamically as it replays on your computer.
I also got their installation kit so that it is hard-wired into the fuse block (I have the upgraded JWest fuse block - I don't think they have a kit for the old ceramic fuses). You also have the option of one large file or smaller files - I have mine set for 5 minute intervals. That way, if you're looking for a specific segment of your trip, you can zero in on that five minute segment if you know about when you were driving there.
wobbletop
I use a A118C dashcam in the Subaru. I use it record track events and autocross too. It records in 5 minute file sizes with 1 second overlap between files (nothing lost). It also has a capacitor instead of a battery, which deals with the in car heat better (will not fail as soon).

The GoPro then becomes a secondary camera for recording other views.

For example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x922baRIPgA

There is a newer version, A119C, that has higher resolution and better low light recording.
Downunderman
This is the duck's guts: https://360fly.com/au/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.