Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi Guys, I have just purchased a 72 914 and I am confused about the fuel lines. I was told that the fuel lines run through the center tunnel... but when I was taking the driver side rocker panel cover off this weekend, I noticed two (fuel?) lines running down the side of the car (under the rocker panel cover). In the rocker panel area, it looks like they come out of the front trunk (and tank) and disappear right at the jack plate and tube. They are a combination of plastic tubes and woven fabric lines. (One of them was actually not connecting correctly and needed to be attached better.) Any thoughts?
dlee6204
Those lines are for the charcoal canister that sits on top of the fuel tank and the other end connects to the top of the engine shroud.

Your fuel lines DO go through the center tunnel.
TheCabinetmaker
Not fuel lines. Fuel tank vent lines. They run from the fuel tank vent to the fan shroud on engine. Removes fuel vapor and smell
Ross
If one of the Fuel tank vent lines was not connected... I'm going to guess that would lead to a pretty bad gas smell... which I have right now
JoeD
QUOTE(Ross @ Aug 22 2016, 01:05 PM) *

If one of the Fuel tank vent lines was not connected... I'm going to guess that would lead to a pretty bad gas smell... which I have right now

Perhaps; but unless you know the plastic tunnel lines as well as old cloth-covered fuel lines have been replaced, please don't assume that a gas smell is coming from the vent hoses. My '73 had a bad gas smell when I got it last year, too. I replaced the tunnel lines with SS lines, but it turned out they weren't (yet) leaking. The cloth covered lines from the fuel tank to relocated front fuel pump were literally soaked like sponges with gas. If I squeezed one, gas would run down my hands.

Don't mess around with this- replace the plastic tunnel lines with stainless steel, and replace ALL the old cloth covered lines, front to back.
gandalf_025
Removed these from my car today..

Still quite pliable, looked and felt fine..
not worth the chance though.

Stainless lines are in now and I need to source
the grommets for both ends.

Click to view attachment

JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 22 2016, 05:55 PM) *

Removed these from my car today..

Still quite pliable, looked and felt fine..
not worth the chance though.

Stainless lines are in now and I need to source
the grommets for both ends.

Click to view attachment

914Rubber.com has front and back grommets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.