Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel/column conundrum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Guys,

I have my '70 914-6 at the workshop to get some dashboard work done,one job being to correct the angle that the steering column goes into the dash.
We have run into a minor problem in doing this.
I am told that on the early 911s there is a holding plate behind and below the dash with 3 locating bolts which are a 5 minute job to perform any adjustments to the columns position at the dash.
Tim tells me there is a holding plate under the dash on my car which has 4 bolts but has no capacity for adjustment.It appears original and the bolts seem untouched.
As we don't have many original 914-6s down here to compare mine to,can you advise if this is a 914-6 eccentricity or has there possibly been some creative engineering gone on by a PO.

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
falcor75
I think the four bolts holding the column is correct and there's no way to adjust it except decrease the angle using washers and longer bolts.

Edit: I just looked in the spare parts diagrams and it shows a four bolt column on a '70.
rgalla9146
The steering column is not 90 degrees to the face of the dash on any 914.
Just one more endearing 914 quirk
Chris914n6
The VW powered 914s aren't angled that much, but they are off 2" from the center of the seat screwy.gif
There is room to slide it over an inch via sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif but then it won't line up with the gauges.
My 75 is off by 1/4" from the center of the gauges. Bugs me enough that I'm going to file out the holes to slide it over.
SixerJ
Check out post 12 in Andys thread, pictures of the six column, from your picture yours looks spot on

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=82045&st=0

The only thing I think is missing from the picture in the thread is a flat rubber pad (NLA) which covers the whole base of the column clamp. I have a picture somewhere and it is really thin, like 1 to 2mm max so that is not going to help with the up and down adjustment and would be easy to recreate if it's missing. Not sure of its purpose beyond stopping squeaks, cannot see it has any vibration damping being clamped up tight etc

As the guys have said, I dont think you have any adjustments, beyond bolt wiggle room in the plate & if you did that would then throw off the ignition lock centering on the dash frame and potentially where it fits into the column itself

You also should have 2 eyebrows that close the gap between the top and bottom plastic clamshells on the column itself and the dash frame. Without those you will have a gap for sure
SixerJ
All the bits are in this picture, if you look really closely the rubber pad is in a bag peeking out from the column

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=569837

SirAndy
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Aug 23 2016, 03:46 AM) *
It appears original and the bolts seem untouched.

The off-center angle is original to all 914s ...
smile.gif
gulf908
Guys

thanks for the prompt replys
and I thought the 914-6 was a perfect Porsche !
we all have our own eccentricities I guess .....

Cheers
Dennis smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.