Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
jtg
SOLD ......................
snakemain
Have seen this car (and driven it around the block). Can confirm it is extremely well thought out and executed. Lots of attention to detail.

E
BigFour1973
Out of curiousity. can you leave it in first gear and come to a stop with out disengaging the clutch? whats it like shifting on an electric motor?
colingreene
probably leave it in something higher than 4th gear. more like 4/5th
snakemain
From what I recall, that's exactly right. You could stop in gear without the clutch, and pretty much start back up in any gear. Depress the clutch, pick a gear, drop the clutch, then whenever you felt like, hit the throttle. Definitely a learning curve. Like a golf cart with a 5 speed.
jtg
Hey, thanks for the post! It's been a great daily driver for the last 5 years. It should make someone happy to get it!

Jim

QUOTE(snakemain @ Aug 23 2016, 10:16 AM) *

Have seen this car (and driven it around the block). Can confirm it is extremely well thought out and executed. Lots of attention to detail.

E

jtg
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been traveling and not checking the forum.

Yes, you can leave it in gear and stop. The electric motor just stops also. I always just start out in 2nd, 1st gear has to much torque. Even in 2nd the wheels might spin if you get on the accelerator to hard. It even has enough torque to start out in 5th if you want. I often just leave it in 3rd and drive around town like an automatic. Normal highway driving requires you to shift normally since the motor is freewheeling between shifts.

I'll try to answer more questions if you have them.

Jim

QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Aug 23 2016, 03:13 PM) *

Out of curiousity. can you leave it in first gear and come to a stop with out disengaging the clutch? whats it like shifting on an electric motor?
jtg
QUOTE(snakemain @ Aug 23 2016, 06:58 PM) *

From what I recall, that's exactly right. You could stop in gear without the clutch, and pretty much start back up in any gear. Depress the clutch, pick a gear, drop the clutch, then whenever you felt like, hit the throttle. Definitely a learning curve. Like a golf cart with a 5 speed.

Ok, a reallly fast golf cart!
RenoRoger
[quote name='jtg' date='Aug 30 2016, 11:35 AM' post='2392085']
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been traveling and not checking the forum.

Yes, you can leave it in gear and stop. The electric motor just stops also. I always just start out in 2nd, 1st gear has to much torque. Even in 2nd the wheels might spin if you get on the accelerator to hard. It even has enough torque to start out in 5th if you want. I often just leave it in 3rd and drive around town like an automatic. Normal highway driving requires you to shift normally since the motor is freewheeling between shifts.

I'll try to answer more questions if you have them.

Jim

Again, very curious. What's the driving range? How much do the batteries weigh? Based on your dash gauge, you have lithium batteries, is that correct? What's their expected service life and how much does it cost to replace them?

Thank you, RenoRoger
jtg
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Aug 30 2016, 04:33 PM) *

Again, very curious. What's the driving range? How much do the batteries weigh? Based on your dash gauge, you have lithium batteries, is that correct? What's their expected service life and how much does it cost to replace them?

Thank you, RenoRoger

Driving range is over 100 miles, 120 on average. I've driven over 160 miles on one charge but that's driving like a grandfather (I am). Normal fun 914 driving gives you over 100 miles, more that enough for around town for a day or two.

Battery weight is about 650 lbs. That puts the car just 300 lbs over the normal curb weight. You don't notice it with the extra torque of the Electric Motor.

The battery manufacturer stated the battery life is over 3000 cycles. 3000 times 100 is 300,000 miles. Do you plan on putting over 300,000 miles on the car? (joke) Seriously, I'm sure there will be a single cell or two that will go bad over the next 10 years but that is no big deal. Just jumper over it (a ten minute job) and you are good to go. Range decreases just a little. Replace the cell or add more to increase range. If battery technology changes a lot the whole battery pack can be easily replaced. I spent $9,000 on this pack. All lithium.

Jim
jtg
Click to view attachment
snakemain
It has windshield defrost, too! Very neat solution.
jtg
Cabin heat and windshield defrost is provided by dual hair dryers runing at 160 volts. Instant heat! No more waiting for an air cooled engine to "warm up"!!

QUOTE(snakemain @ Sep 4 2016, 08:21 PM) *

It has windshield defrost, too! Very neat solution.

jtg
Craigslist ad: http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5740869503.html
Slick914
Hello, nice car.

What is the condition and quality of the paint job? What sort of blemishes are present after 18,000 miles?

Also concerned about the "all rust treated with POR-15 then painted" comment. Where is this rust at?
jtg
Hey Phil,

Excellent questions. The paint job was done about 6-7 years ago by the previous owner. I had the Targa top repainted due to some obvious scratches from handling. I would say the condition is good to excellent. Not perfect though. Some very minor imperfections from 17,000 miles as our "daily driver".

During the restoration there was some rust areas on the drivers floor and under where the original battery was. All was sanded down and primed with Por-15. No rust now! The entire insides, engine compartment, and both trunks were then painted with black enamel. I was striving for longevity and I feel this body should last another 45 years.

It's a great, fun car. I'm loosing my garage here in FL and don't want to park it all the time outside so need to sell it. Like all 914's it turns heads every time we drive it!

Jim

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Oct 4 2016, 10:49 PM) *

Hello, nice car.

What is the condition and quality of the paint job? What sort of blemishes are present after 18,000 miles?

Also concerned about the "all rust treated with POR-15 then painted" comment. Where is this rust at?

DRPHIL914
looks very well done!
I wish I could have 2 914's, this would be at the top of my list.
I bought mine 7 years ago, with the intention of my son and I doing this conversion as he was an engineering student at USC here in SC, but I got the car running and decided I should not modifiy an unmodified 2 liter appearance group car, so we set out to begin restoring it. But I did a lot of research on parts and at that time the battery conversion was a big deal, trying to get enough reserve to get up close to 150 miles on a charge. Thunder sky LIPO batteries were coming over but still so expensive. it seems a lot has happened in the past 7 years regarding this. Anyway, you have a very nicely done car. if this were a year or 2 down the road id be in the position to make a move here, either way just wanted to comment on the quality of the work and fit and finish looks very professional. !
-good luck with the sale! BTW there is a guy in Charleston SC that has done some VW and a couple of Porsche hybrid conversions using gas/electric generators , using gasoline and or/dual fuel option propane to run the generator to increase range, very similar to the BMW I3 range extender or the Chevy Volt- only he was doing this 10 years ago plus already.
a generator in the front trunk is what he mounted and it was ablt to recharge the batteries and produce enough electricity to add several hundred miles on just a few gallons of gas or propane.
so anyway a bump for a car that I believe is a super value
icon_bump.gif
jtg
Nice comments! Thanks Phil

Jim

[font=Century Gothic]
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 5 2016, 09:30 PM) *

looks very well done!
I wish I could have 2 914's, this would be at the top of my list.
I bought mine 7 years ago, with the intention of my son and I doing this conversion as he was an engineering student at USC here in SC, but I got the car running and decided I should not modifiy an unmodified 2 liter appearance group car, so we set out to begin restoring it. But I did a lot of research on parts and at that time the battery conversion was a big deal, trying to get enough reserve to get up close to 150 miles on a charge. Thunder sky LIPO batteries were coming over but still so expensive. it seems a lot has happened in the past 7 years regarding this. Anyway, you have a very nicely done car. if this were a year or 2 down the road id be in the position to make a move here, either way just wanted to comment on the quality of the work and fit and finish looks very professional. !
-good luck with the sale! BTW there is a guy in Charleston SC that has done some VW and a couple of Porsche hybrid conversions using gas/electric generators , using gasoline and or/dual fuel option propane to run the generator to increase range, very similar to the BMW I3 range extender or the Chevy Volt- only he was doing this 10 years ago plus already.
a generator in the front trunk is what he mounted and it was ablt to recharge the batteries and produce enough electricity to add several hundred miles on just a few gallons of gas or propane.
so anyway a bump for a car that I believe is a super value
icon_bump.gif

jtg
Click to view attachment

New seats, carpet, dash, etc.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.