Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 4cyl mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am bound by contract to not build 911 based mufflers but I can build 4cyl mufflers..so the question is if I could build a stainless muffler for the 1.7 1.8 and 2.0 market what would be the criteria you folks would be using to select a muffler? Cost I am sure is big but it can't be the only factor and to be honest I am not talking about making 3 or even 400 dollar mufflers but probably 5 or 6 dollar stainless TIG welded mufflers..

Give me your thoughts please and let me know sweet spot for pricing that will help me determine if it is a worth while venture.
rhodyguy
What would they look like? Mufflers to compliment existing piping i.e. Bursch style? Or more OEM 73-74 2.0? What does 5 or 6 dollars mean? I think owners will always be interested in more options
Mike Bellis
I don't think any of these CSOB's will buy a $600 muffler for a 914-4.
rhodyguy
Thank you Mike.
dangrouche
Dansk makes the one you are looking to build; and its already at the $600 pricepoint. Likely not a project you would lose money, unless you could sell it for a shipped price of $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-73...%3D162156386251
914werke
I am still perplexed why a repop Banana cost 6-$700? 3-$400, ok but 6-7?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 23 2016, 11:14 PM) *

I don't think any of these CSOB's will buy a $600 muffler for a 914-4.

mb911
Your looking at low volume and high cost of quality materials. It would look like the banana muffler very similar in shape to what Mark has posted.. 600 would probably be the target..

On a side note after years of competing with Dansk I can tell you I can build a better product hands down.
falcor75
If theres a market för the $1400-1500 Scart silencers there is surely a market för one at half the cost. The trick is getting it to sound "Money!" smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLaZc6cqnM

bretth
Ditto on the Scart mufflers. I will pay for that sound eventually. But before I do I want to know if I would lose much power on a stock motor switching to a lower back pressure/open(assumed) exhaust. Maybe more manufactures need to make video/audio clips of their product to be sure but he Scart is the most amazing muffler I have heard.

Brett
PanelBilly
What's the difference between a /6 and a /4 muffler?
Mark Henry
Make a muffler that makes a four sound like a six and you'll make a fortune. biggrin.gif
mepstein
I purchased Ben's prototype 4 exhaust years ago, sold it since I decided to go 6, then bought another 4. Wish I still had it. Zach/VR has it now. Worth it just for the looks and light weight. Cool sound would be a bonus.

PS - at least I have one of his R exhausts for my 6 biggrin.gif
injunmort
i have seen the dansk for $275-325 range. to upgrade to stainless, tangerine has a very nice offering with some optionality. so i would say there is a very low to no volume market for this.
mepstein
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 24 2016, 11:12 AM) *

i have seen the dansk for $275-325 range. to upgrade to stainless, tangerine has a very nice offering with some optionality. so i would say there is a very low to no volume market for this.

Funny, I sat around with a group of 914 owners last weekend who said the opposite.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 11:04 AM) *

Make a muffler that makes a four sound like a six and you'll make a fortune. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't buy one. Making a car sound like something it is not, reminds me of when as kids we would put playing cards in the spokes of our bicycle wheels (I know that's dating me). We could pretend we were riding Harleys, but we weren't fooling anybody.

Ansbacher - Happy owner of a -4
Cal
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 24 2016, 08:27 AM) *

If theres a market för the $1400-1500 Scart silencers there is surely a market för one at half the cost. The trick is getting it to sound "Money!" smile.gif

I agree.....there's a market for a less expensive exhaust that matches the sound and original look of the Scart unit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtS9bhUGxU

rhodyguy
Please share the link for the Dansk @ 275-325 in the conus.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 24 2016, 11:10 AM) *

I purchased Ben's prototype 4 exhaust years ago, sold it since I decided to go 6, then bought another 4. Wish I still had it. Zach/VR has it now. Worth it just for the looks and light weight. Cool sound would be a bonus.

PS - at least I have one of his R exhausts for my 6 biggrin.gif

Yep.
I picked it up for Matt but its overkill for his car. Its probably perfect for mine.

I wonder if there is a performance difference between this muffler and the triad I currently have on my 2056 with SSI exchangers.

Zach
Cal
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 24 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Please share the link for the Dansk @ 275-325 in the conus.

Yes, please share......the best price I've found was from AA for $560.00 for a 2.0L.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Dansk-E...-R17091406.html

ChrisFoley

I really need to update my webpage.
In addition to the 2 liter units shown in the screenshot above, I build these mufflers for 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers.
smile.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
injunmort
how about eBay... dansk 4 cylinder mufflers for $277-299.
rhodyguy
2.0 version specific. NEW! Offerings o-plenty but not in the price range you're suggesting. About twice a much.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 24 2016, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 11:04 AM) *

I wouldn't buy one. Making a car sound like something it is not, reminds me of when as kids we would put playing cards in the spokes of our bicycle wheels (I know that's dating me). We could pretend we were riding Harleys, but we weren't fooling anybody.

Ansbacher - Happy owner of a -4

Humour...I guess some just don't get it rolleyes.gif

bye1.gif
injunmort
the 1.7/1.8 will fit fine, change the hangar. for the price difference. unless building a show quality le, i don't see the difference, especially when your custom built or the dansk 2.0l specific will not succeed at originality. you originally asked an opinion, i gave you mine and what it was based on, you disagree, great, build your mufflers. thats what makes markets.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 24 2016, 01:44 PM) *

the 1.7/1.8 will fit fine, change the hangar.

The mufflers are not interchangeable. A 1.7/1.8 muffler will only fit on 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers.
The differences go beyond flange height.
Cracker
av-943.gif lol-2.gif slap.gif

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 23 2016, 11:18 PM) *

Thank you Mike.

injunmort
i stand corrected, both my 1.7's and 2.0l must be running 1.7l heat exchangers. but according to fitment chart, it says it fits 2.0l h4. regardless, both standard and high end custom stainless is already being supplied, so for the cost i still don't see the need.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 24 2016, 02:36 PM) *

so for the cost i still don't see the need.

agree.gif
There's no need for another 914-4 muffler vendor. The market is too small.
I have enough trouble selling Tangerine EVO IV mufflers as it is.
rhodyguy
Muffler application is ENTIRELY dependent on version of heat exchangers. NOT displacement. One needs to know the BIG picture before purchasing. HE to muffler gaskets differ as well. The BIG picture....
injunmort
didn't think this was a fitment thread, i thought it was to gauge the interest of producing a muffler?
injunmort
mepstein, rhodyguy? no pithy response to demand over a weekend campfire of how we need this? i guess racerchris took care of you opinions. i like the independent thought, though.
rhodyguy
You mean pithy like you with your uniformed crack about how cheap 914-4 mufflers are? Uh, eBay? Believe me, one of the FIRST hard lessons that I learned about a 914 was exchangers, mufflers and their relationship to engine size. See, you found out the easy way. Lucky you. Btw I think you have 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers.

You're up Mark.

injunmort
fire away, and apparently they are, 2.0l specific maybe not so much, but you didn't specify, 1.7/1.8l are as cheap as i said. think for a minute before you fire back. as an aside, eBay is not making the mufflers, according to the ad, danks is. take it up with them. as you know 914/4 covers three different displacements. as pointed out earlier, 2.0l flanges are different than 1.7/1.8l but still work in the right combo. werd
rhodyguy
Read post #2 again. Twice if you need to. I was pretty specific. FOCUS! Appearently Cal shared my curiosity as well. now you know the dif between 1.7/1.8(early) and 2.0(mid production) mufflers. Or do you?
injunmort
no.I STILL DONT, but still learning, you think #2 specifies? my bad if it does.
mb911
Kind of sounds like not much demand for this. I will still entertain making them but not on my front burner.. The 6 heat exchangers are front burner.
Porschef
Chris' EVO IV is on my wish list. An improvement (in my ears) over the first generation; pretty quiet till you get on it, then it opens up and sounds terrific.

beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 24 2016, 06:04 PM) *

Chris' EVO IV is on my wish list. An improvement (in my ears) over the first generation; pretty quiet till you get on it, then it opens up and sounds terrific.

beerchug.gif

agree.gif Made my list too .
matthepcat
Wow. Didn't know a type IV could sound that good. Probably worth the $1500.

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 24 2016, 05:27 AM) *

moorepower
I am planing on a Scart super sound. I have not heard anything close to the quality of sound.
sb914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 24 2016, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 24 2016, 02:36 PM) *

so for the cost i still don't see the need.

agree.gif
There's no need for another 914-4 muffler vendor. The market is too small.
I have enough trouble selling Tangerine EVO IV mufflers as it is.

Is there a sound bite of the EVO IV muff?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 25 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Is there a sound bite of the EVO IV muff?

Look here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNW3NN3cpVfGy9O9wl08rZw
Courtesy of Mike Blizzard smile.gif
dcheek
As an owner of a '76 2 liter, as far as I know there are zero options for a stock muffler replacement. I've welded mine several times. There will come a point in time where I will have nothing to weld to.

Would the EVO IV work on a '76?

Dave
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 25 2016, 04:54 PM) *

As an owner of a '76 2 liter, as far as I know there are zero options for a stock muffler replacement. I've welded mine several times. There will come a point in time where I will have nothing to weld to.

Would the EVO IV work on a '76?

Dave

I don't have a product that bolts to the '76 heat exchangers.
You will need a set of heat exchangers from the earlier models, either 1.7/1.8, or 2.0.
Your engine will like the change. smile.gif
maf914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 25 2016, 12:54 PM) *

Dave

I have a 76 as well. At one time, many years ago, I tried a Monza with the stock heat exchangers and found it to be just too loud for my taste. At that time I went back to the stock system. I changed to 74 style stainless steel heat exchangers sometime later which was a good move.

Bursch makes a system for the 75-76 heat exchangers. Some people don't like Bursch systems, but I used one for years and found it to be okay.

http://burschexhaust.com/4cylinder.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.