Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting ready to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stanthedog
Going to buy a welder to start the resto on my son's 75 2.0.
Will have plenty of questions along this path. First Q is how do I paint or seal the inside of the hellhole after welding a repair panel in. Welder I'm looking at is the millermatic 211.
76-914
Eastwood sells a spray converter w/ long plastic tube. Just need a 1/4" hole to insert it.
stanthedog
Now, I'm trying to decide on the type of welder. I have little to no welding experience.
Trying to decide between a millermatic 211 mig welder or a miller maxstar 150 tig welder. both are small, lightweight units that run on 115/220v. and are rated very highly. Thoughts.
76-914
2 different platforms. One is MIG and the other is stick or TIG. I'd love to have a TIG set up but in reality there isn't too much I can't weld up with my MIG. If your doing panel repair or Aluminum you will want TIG. One of our members is a welding instructor and will be of more help when he chimes in. beerchug.gif
mb911
211 is big for sheet metal I tend to like the smaller Hobart or Miller 140s much cheaper and easy to work with on sheet metal.. I teach welding so take my info with a grain of salt.
stanthedog
I was originally looking at the miller 141, but thought the 211 would be better because it's 110/240v so I can do thicker metal if need be. I like the autoset being new to welding.
zambezi
How thick of metal will you be doing if "need be". I have a 140 and can do 1/4 inch thick no problem. Being 110 is nice too if I need to go portable to someone elses house. I also have a TIG welder for precision welding or aluminum. For general rust repairs on car, the MIG is the goto welder.
stanthedog
If I wanted to make a roll cage, or a trailer, or rail. Reviews i've read on both say with a 141 your kinda stuck with the smaller welder. 211 will go as low as the 141 but will go up to 250 amps for heavier stuff. I think I'm just trying to talk myself into buying the more expensive unit. Because if it cost more it must be better, right. Besides, my wife said I should get the 211. If your wife tell's you to buy the more expensive toy, which one would you buy.
TheCabinetmaker
I would buy the one that best suits my needs. Regardless of price.
stanthedog
Bought the miller 211 yesterday. working on wiring now. Didn't think my garage would handle a 110 welder, all the outlets(two) are 2 prong, plus lights, fridge etc.
Got a 10-3 ga 75ft cord from dryer outlet to garage. Will try to post pics of hellhole and other rust damage I find.
madmax914
I have a Millermatic 110v welder and love it and have gotten my monies worth out of it. I'm now considering the ESAB Rebel, it can go 110v or 230v. It will do MIG, TIG and stick welding. It has a setting called smart MIG where you enter in the base metal thickness and it sets the amperage for you, you just control the wire speed. If you're just learning to weld it makes it much easier.

My 2 cents.
stanthedog
The miller211 has autoset, I set material thickness and wire diameter and it does the rest(roughly,close ballpark).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.