Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for tow hook, I have no stock one.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Looking for a tow hook but do not want to buy one OEM at the expensive prices they run. I want one in this style that I can fold down. Just no idea what the thread is to get the correct one. My Porsche 996 had a different thread than my BMW. Any suggestions?

Here is the style and one I want to throw in the trunk....they seem cheap to buy but I know the threads are different by year and car.

carcus
I have seen the straps but want something strong like this and I can fold it down or just unscrew it and put it in the trunk when needed. Any links to a sponsor or someone who sells one similar would be appreciated. I just want one that will fit the OEM threads. Not interested in Porsche OEM ones that cost way too much. Color is not a big deal to me...just something that looks like it, cheap, strong and will work. If there is an OEM one that is under $40 that I can get, let me know. I get the OEM one looks like the pic I have attached, but want something that works and affordable.

Thanks all.
Cuda911
Bruce Stone has some of the OEM ones. I think he charged me $10 or so for one.
carcus
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 24 2016, 01:57 AM) *

Thanks much. Does anyone know what the stock thread is for the OEM tow hook?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(carcus @ Aug 26 2016, 02:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 24 2016, 01:57 AM) *

Thanks much. Does anyone know what the stock thread is for the OEM tow hook?

10 x 1.5
dflesburg
don't waste your money on a stock one.

the reason there aren't that many around is due to several things including... being 40+ years old they fatigue and get dropped on the floor, developing hairline cracks, then when you try to use them, they fail....

if you really think you might use these buy a new one. if its just for show, don't let anyone ever use it.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 26 2016, 08:46 AM) *

... being 40+ years old they fatigue and get dropped on the floor, developing hairline cracks, ...

av-943.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 26 2016, 08:55 AM) *

... being 40+ years old they fatigue and get dropped on the floor, developing hairline cracks, ...

av-943.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Fatigue will only result after very many load cycles
Mark Henry
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 26 2016, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 26 2016, 08:55 AM) *

av-943.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Fatigue will only result after very many load cycles

And bent back and forth, back and forth....

Really except for a dead on straight pull, the hook is pretty useless.
Stock or aftermarket, 10mm, it's going to bend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.