Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Support the Black List.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 Ranch
It is illegal to remove, replace or otherwise reproduce vin numbers on a car in the state of Califorina.

I spent a year in self exille from here because some dick here sounded me for it. Told me to go back to my own board. (Club NARP) Not my board, never was. They just used my logo.

The only reason someone would not support The Black List is they are building one or they already bought one and don't want to admit that they didn't figure it out until it was too late.

I support The Black List just for the reason that I don't want tho find one in a friends hands.

The Black List was T H O M A S 's idea. One of his best. We need to track these cars and keep our members well informed.

I have seen a 4 with 3 different numbers on it. WTF are they thinking.
Im sorry Rant over.

Joe Sharp
Team NARP
Tom_T
Hey Joe,

I think it's a good idea to track the Franken-cars for the reasons you stated - it can't hurt to have it as a nailed thread in the Garage either - since that's where most folks read anyway.

However, in addition to having the illegal VIN change actual CA-DMV code sections put in here &/or on the list (if a different topic) - & those for other states where applicable.....

I think we should also have the DMV code section where it says what is legal to do in a rebuild by a licensed dealer/shop, because IIRC there is a legal route from them to properly do a rebuild & IIRC they have to then register it as a "Rebuilt Title" or something.

It's been a long time since I looked those up, but if you have them handy, perhaps you could post them here, so that everybody knows what's in-bounds & out-of-bounds on this important matter.

I can't do anything on it today, as it's our anniversary & I type as my wife gets ready, & because I value my cajones intact! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
I already add a comment to all confirmed VIN swaps in the VIN database, something along the lines of "possible VIN swap".

In case of the latest discussion, if you search the database by VIN:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...yVIN=9141430205

You'll see that the first entry, done by me in 2009, starts with:
"Rusted, cut up, will probably resurface as a VIN swap."

In case of 9141430205, we currently have 3 entries, one of which clearly states that the car was cut up and the VIN plates sold.

There are several others that i have marked as such over the years ...
shades.gif

PS: We can have multiple entries per VIN and members can only delete VIN entries they added, so no one (besides another admin) can delete any entries that do not belong to them.
Adding multiple entries can create a VIN history of sorts.
Whitney Mic
This is a great idea.

I like the VIN database, haven't used it as I should.

I hope there is a way one could put info about a VIN for a vehicle they have looked at but don't own when there is misinformation in an ad.

Say if the buyer is misrepresenting the details on the car and I see that something is wrong with the car compared to the listing, I want to assume it is an error, or that the seller has been duped.

I don't want to call out that seller, because I don't know. I can update the VIN database with notice of possible misrepresentation. Then if the seller does not correct the listing, potential buyers will see there is a credibility issue.

I don't know how the forum could stop malicious false posts about a VIN if someone is feuding with a seller though.

$0.02, plus change...

-- Whit
SirAndy
QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Aug 24 2016, 11:55 AM) *
I don't know how the forum could stop malicious false posts about a VIN if someone is feuding with a seller though.

Always a possibility ...

However, currently any VIN entry you add to the database is tied to your user account.
It would be easy to tell who is just posting garbage because they are in a pissing match with someone else.

The only way to get that entry unlinked from your account is to ask me to do that for you.
shades.gif
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 24 2016, 12:01 PM) *

The only way to get that entry unlinked from your account is to ask me to do that for you.
shades.gif

That works. I have to update my information and add the # from the car I crashed icon8.gif and the one I hope to buy.

It turns out there is a very nice looking car about 50 miles from me. More stock than the one I was looking at on the East Coast. I even know the seller, so I think I may even be driving this weekend piratenanner.gif

(the one I'm scoping now has door mirrors on both sides already, so I won't get to put on the Suzuki wing mirrors I saw at Amazon...)

av-943.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif

-- Whit
Mark Henry
I think it's a good idea, maybe even list salvage titles.

There was a member in the early days with a real 6 that turned out to be a half a 6 and the other half a 4. A poorly joined half.

There was also a certain person selling a /6 VIN on evilbay...(Cough-cough...eh-eh...) stromberg.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 02:02 PM) *
There was a member in the early days with a real 6 that turned out to be a half a 6 and the other half a 4. A poorly joined half.

He's still here.

The car was sold to him as a unmolested original /6 ...
sad.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 10:02 PM) *

There was also a certain person selling a /6 VIN on evilbay...(Cough-cough...eh-eh...) stromberg.gif

This one 9141430080? I added it to the DB then just asked Andy to remove it from my ownership I recall. Super easy

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=17722
914 Ranch
Thanks Andy, I should have known it was already handled….

Joe Sharp
Team NARP
Ferg
Hiya Joe drunk.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Aug 24 2016, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 10:02 PM) *

This one 9141430080? I added it to the DB then just asked Andy to remove it from my ownership I recall. Super easy

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=17722

No...closer to home, read what I put in brackets, real fast, like a Canadian.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 24 2016, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2016, 02:02 PM) *

He's still here.

The car was sold to him as a unmolested original /6 ...
sad.gif

Yes I know he was open about it, good guy that got ripped off, he wouldn't sell it misrepresented.
Tom_T
While Andy has marked known problem VINs in the data base - it couldn't hurt to also do Joe's suggestion as well as, but as a nailed thread where only the known problem 914s are listed - so the entire VIN data base doesn't need to be searched, where you typically get extraneous hits which aren't necessarily problem VINs.

Maybe Joe could be the Admin for the list & do the policing for any malicious listed ones which really are not a problem, as the concern noted above stated? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
76-914
If you guys start a Black list I'm screwed. I was planning on selling Kugel as an original 6. I was just going to file down those Subaru letters. lol-2.gif av-943.gif rolleyes.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2016, 01:33 PM) *

If you guys start a Black list I'm screwed. I was planning on selling Kugel as an original 6. I was just going to file down those Subaru letters. lol-2.gif av-943.gif rolleyes.gif

"its got a REALLY big oil cooler..."
mepstein
George Hussey's suggestion for my vin switched car. (Vin switched befor I purchased it).

bretth
Don't forget 9140431716 which was on Pelican last year selling in Virginia. One member went to look at it and confirmed it's a 6 in the front 1/3rd and a 4 from the front wheels back.

Brett
SirAndy
QUOTE(bretth @ Aug 25 2016, 06:22 PM) *
Don't forget 9140431716 which was on Pelican last year selling in Virginia. One member went to look at it and confirmed it's a 6 in the front 1/3rd and a 4 from the front wheels back.

Are you sure that VIN is correct? There no reference to it on Pelican ...
idea.gif
bretth
It was about a year ago. I actually still have the page bookmarked but when i bring it up it says the page no longer exists. I will have to look for the thread on the world where it was being discussed then. At the time i was trying to find a 6 to restore for myself and took notes on that car and a few others when it came for sale. I believe a shop in DC area with a bad rep was the one selling it.

Brett
mepstein
QUOTE(bretth @ Aug 26 2016, 12:01 AM) *

It was about a year ago. I actually still have the page bookmarked but when i bring it up it says the page no longer exists. I will have to look for the thread on the world where it was being discussed then. At the time i was trying to find a 6 to restore for myself and took notes on that car and a few others when it came for sale. I believe a shop in DC area with a bad rep was the one selling it.

Brett

Are you talking about the tub that DC auto had for sale for $10k. I think it was blue. Someone took their ad and lhijacked it onto Craigslist, tried to pretend it was theirs and the ad was intentionally sketchy to omit the spliced tub.
bretth
I never saw it on Criagslist but it was on Pelican for several months. It was a tub It was mostly light blue with gray primer being sold for $20,000 originally and then lowered to 16.5k. After a while it disappeared from Pelican. Having trouble finding the thread from 914world where a member went to see it and seller was trying to pass off as a legit six. I recorded the VIN out of curiosity in case it showed up elsewhere in the future.

This is the info from the bookmark I had:
1970 Porsche 914-6 not a conversion real car project - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Trying to sell this car that is for sale from a Freind who is in North Carolina it is a real 914-6 with a 914-6 engine that's not matching how ever...

Edit I believe the car may have been on the Samba too at that time.

Brett
mepstein
QUOTE(bretth @ Aug 26 2016, 09:27 AM) *

I never saw it on Criagslist but it was on Pelican for several months. It was a tub It was mostly light blue with gray primer being sold for $20,000 originally and then lowered to 16.5k. After a while it disappeared from Pelican. Having trouble finding the thread from 914world where a member went to see it and seller was trying to pass off as a legit six. I recorded the VIN out of curiosity in case it showed up elsewhere in the future.

This is the info from the bookmark I had:
1970 Porsche 914-6 not a conversion real car project - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Trying to sell this car that is for sale from a Freind who is in North Carolina it is a real 914-6 with a 914-6 engine that's not matching how ever...

Edit I believe the car may have been on the Samba too at that time.

Brett

Yes, the guy who was trying to sell it had no relation to the actual owner/seller. I know Rob at DC Auto very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.