Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Happy Wednesday everyone. So I have a little bit of a dumb question regarding replacing my fuel lines with SS lines. I purchased lines from Pelican. When I spoke with the salesperson he informed me that he would be including everything I needed in the kit. My question is, I received two sizes and types of hose along with the SS lines; which of these goes where? I have braided hose and regular hose. I appreciate any information you can provide. Again, I apologize if this is a dumb question.
mepstein
Pics?
sjhenry1075
I can provide pics once I get home.
Andyrew
Your tank should have two size lines as does your fuel pump. The larger line is your feed, your narrower line is your return. The grommets for the fuel line are also sized. So it should only go one way.
sjhenry1075
Excellent, thank you!
sjhenry1075
Andyrew you are correct. I checked last night and there is a very small size difference between the two stainless lines. Thank you for your input! I apologize for the stupid question, I'm still learning 914's.
mepstein
Don't be embarrassed to ask questions or make mistakes. This is a great community to get help. I've learned a ton and the group has (mostly) put up with me.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 26 2016, 08:06 AM) *

Don't be embarrassed to ask questions or make mistakes. This is a great community to get help. I've learned a ton and the group has (mostly) put up with me.

agree.gif Same here.
sjhenry1075
Thank you both. I do have to admit that everyone has been very helpful; I just like to warn people in advance of my lack of knowledge.

So Last night I wanted to remove the lines so I could drain the tank. I reached into the access hole and there wasn't much slack on the lines so I gave them a little tug; both lines broke in half in my hand! Thank goodness I'm replacing them, that could have been disastrous!
rhodyguy
While the tank is empty, take a look inside at the tank filter sock with a flashlight. Right now it's a easy chore if it looks like it is sucking flat.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 29 2016, 03:57 PM) *

While the tank is empty, take a look inside at the tank filter sock with a flashlight. Right now it's a easy chore if it looks like it is sucking flat.

What is the general thoughts on the fuel sock these days. As old as these tanks are if they are not sealed or cleaned there can be some crap/sediment. Seems to me the fuel sock, while doing its job, can get clogged and then you are back to a tough fix.

Wouldn't an accessible fuel filter (maybe one in front and one in the engine bay) make more sense?
Spoke
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Aug 29 2016, 08:29 AM) *

I reached into the access hole and there wasn't much slack on the lines...

I looped the hoses so the hoses can be connected with the tank out of the cavity. There's already 15-20 feet of hoses and pipes between the tank and the engine. A couple more feet of hose won't make a difference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 29 2016, 09:21 PM) *

I looped the hoses so the hoses can be connected with the tank out of the cavity. There's already 15-20 feet of hoses and pipes between the tank and the engine. A couple more feet of hose won't make a difference.

While this works it is also not too difficult keeping the hoses short and accessing them through the large hole underneath. Before installing the tank, connect the lines and secure them to the lines coming from the tunnel. Have the hoses exit the hole and install the tank. It is not too hard to connect the hoses to the tank at that time. This saves the risk of a pinched line. But long lines work also......
sjhenry1075
What is the best way to clean the tank at this point? I looked inside and its certainly not clean. I read in a previous post to find someone with small hands to reach inside; I'm not sure my four month old son's hands would fit inside that hole! Any advice on how to clean it out? I was thinking of using Por-15 but have heard some absolute horror stories. Any suggestions?
87m491
Did you remove the expansion tank on top of the main tank? With that removed you have "some" room.

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Aug 30 2016, 04:16 AM) *

What is the best way to clean the tank at this point? I looked inside and its certainly not clean. I read in a previous post to find someone with small hands to reach inside; I'm not sure my four month old son's hands would fit inside that hole! Any advice on how to clean it out? I was thinking of using Por-15 but have heard some absolute horror stories. Any suggestions?

87m491
I think the long hose length is purely to facilitate working behind and under the tank without having to remove the lines at all and therefore drain the tank, after it has been installed....
I like the short hose idea coupled with a few quick disconnect fuel line adapters. These are popular on motorcycles where the tank has to come off for nearly all work and repeatedly draining the tank is a pain..and these could be accessed from the large hole below the tank..
IPB Image

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 29 2016, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 29 2016, 09:21 PM) *

While this works it is also not too difficult keeping the hoses short and accessing them through the large hole underneath. Before installing the tank, connect the lines and secure them to the lines coming from the tunnel. Have the hoses exit the hole and install the tank. It is not too hard to connect the hoses to the tank at that time. This saves the risk of a pinched line. But long lines work also......

BeatNavy
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Aug 30 2016, 08:16 AM) *

You've got options. Google "cleaning fuel tank" and you'll all sorts of creative ways people clean tanks. Usually involves a solvent, old nuts/bolt/nails, and some form of agitation.

You can also take it somewhere to get reconditioned. I think I've seen people say they've had that done for a couple of hundred dollars.

I've done the POR-15 thing twice. As with any POR-15 application, it is all about the prep and following the directions. First time I took my time and it turned out great. Second time I was in a bit of a rush and it didn't come out as well. Probably still usable (it's still sitting under my deck), but I'll assess when I need it.

Before and after:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.