Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bought a Saab
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
Bought a 2001 9-5 witha V-6 31,000 miles. I love the car so far but I don't know anything about Saabs. Opinions, pro or con from other owners?
flatout
Hi, I have had Saabs as daily drivers, love them. Never any of the newer ones. Two 900 turbo's , mid 80 cars. I think you will be happy with it. Would love to have one now. Good luck with it...............
CptTripps
I'm on #12 right now...All I've ever drove. My first one saved my life, small price to pay on my part.

In order...

1985 - 900 turbo
1986 - 9000 turbo
1987 - 9000 turbo
1988 - 9000 turbo
1988 - 900 SPG
1993 - 9000 CSE
1996 - 900 se
1999 - 9-5 se
1987 - 900 turbo Convertable (wife)
1995 - 900 s convertable (wife)
2003 - 9-3 Arc
2005 - 9-2x (wife)

My 9-5s engine blew up because the screen that passes the filter got all clogged up over time. Make SURE you change the oil every 3K.

http://www.saabcentral.com is a GREAT forum...much like this one. Yo'll feel right at home there.

Edit: Hey...cool....my 914th post...and it was about a Saab. laugh.gif
mack914
Had two 900 nand a 9000 turbo that my son currently drives. Built like tanks. Safe for the kid.
Type 4
Your V6 is a GM Holden rebaged as a Saab.
I have owned Saabs since when Dick Grossman ran the Saab club.
SGB
Wish I still had my '86 900S 16-valve. Great cars!
soloracer
My parents used to own an orange Saab 99 GL and they loved that car. My mom finally rolled it and destroyed the car. She did three end over end rotations in the ditch. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt and amazingly came out with only a sprained neck. The car landed on it's wheels and was still running. My dad actually drove the car home afterwards. It looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to it. They sold the car to a friend of ours and he rebuilt it and drove it for another 15 years before it finally died. Dad now has an 84 900 Turbo. This car is much more finicky than the 99 and has some of the usual rust problems (fenders) that these cars have. For my dad the death of Saab was when GM bought them and made the cars the same as everything else out there (styling, etc.) Now they just rebadge a Subaru as a Saab. Definately not the same heritage.

I'm actually looking for a Saab Sonnett - preferably in yellow. You don't see many of them and I think it would be a neat car to have.
nickg
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Apr 14 2005, 07:31 AM)
Your V6 is a GM Holden rebaged as a Saab.
I have owned Saabs since when Dick Grossman ran the Saab club.

uhhh, wrong. holden does not make any front drive chassis. the saab is on an epsilon or omega platform.....what you meant was it was on an opel chassis i think.
Type 4
Yes I meant that it is a GM platform.

Sonnetts.
I have had 3 of them.

had a 72 with a 1700 V4 fitted with an Ashcroft pipe, Weber 32 Carb.
185-60 on the front 135-15 on the rear.
She would out run any car in the canyons.

dinomium
I met my wife because I drove an 85 turbo sedan. She drove a 99 at the time. I was on Orcas Island (for work, not for fun) having a burger at the Lower Tavern and she came in and asked "who is driving the 900? YOur Fog lights on" with out looking up I replied "that would be me" and kept eatin my burger (the best in the San Juans!). She came over and asked me if I was going to turn them off or just let the battery go flat. To which I anwsered "not gonna be here that long"
Ended up talking for about 4 hours, and I did go turn off the lights.

Yeah SAABS rule!
79 99
85 Turbo sedan
88 Sedan
83 900 Turbo
flyloki
I've had a '95 9000 CS for about 5 years. It has been a very good car.

Course it hadn't gotten too many GM parts at that point. wink.gif
TROJANMAN
had a 99 9-3 SE
just passed it down to my brother. great car with lots of torque. took me a while to get used to the turbo boost. for the first week, i spun the tires coming out of first.
i would have bought a 9-5, but i couldn't find one with a stick.
sixnotfour
This is just a bunch of Saab Stories laugh.gif laugh.gif

Get it laugh.gif OK, Im Sorry unsure.gif

My neighbor had a Sonnet, It was on jackstands for years. Just like my 914
CptTripps
QUOTE (mack914 @ Apr 14 2005, 10:26 AM)
Had two 900 nand a 9000 turbo that my son currently drives. Built like tanks. Safe for the kid.

That's why it was my first car. My Dad and I got the 85 900 Turbo when I was 17 and worked on it a lot...he gave it to me for graduation. That car saved my ass more than once. If we aren't all flying around in jet-packs by then, my kid's first car will be a Saab...old 900 if I can.
I've had several 93's, my daily is a 2001 93 se, I love it, I picked it up as a certified car, meaning it's got the 6 year 100k bumper to bumper coverage.

-They are very sturdy cars, the V6 in yours is, I think a bit of a rare bird, I seem to remember that they only made them for a few years, but I havent heard of any problems with them.

I have always been told the one weak area on the 93 and 95's is that they tend to wear out the front end, IE-wheel bearings, half shafts, etc..

-But I put 80k on my first one and never had a problem, and have 50k on this one and it's very tight.

-BTW: the comment on the oil change every 3k, I'm not sure about that, you do need to use synthetic, and the 93 anyway is the easiest car to change oil and filter on that I've ever seen, you don't even need to lift it, I use mobil 1, and go 5k or so between changes, and even that's generous because the synthetic is good for longer than that.

-I wonder about your V-6 however, since it's not a turbo, maybe the maintence schedule and recomm. oils are different? saab says that the 4 cylinders can go 7-10k miles between oil changes-partially because you must use synthetic, I wonder if the V6 makes a difference in the recommendation... anyway, I'm sure that 5k is safe if you use synthetic.

-Interestingly, the dealers are telling you that the new cars only need an oil change every 15k! I know this because my brother in law just bought one and they went over it, wow! that seems like a crazzy long time!

-Adam
robby750
Mine is a turbo, and it hauls ass! Or, I should say my wife's car is a turbo. She picked it out. The manual recommends oil change every 10,000 But the dealer service manager says every 5,000 and the use a Mobil 1 synthetic blend. I just found out that the service manager and parts manager are old friends that I have known for over 20 years and I get an employee discount!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.