Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Complete, Awesome '80 SC 3.0CIS Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
LeftCoastErik
OK folks, barring any issues this afternoon, I will be going a little bigger in Captain Kaos very shortly.. Therefore my 1980 SC Engine Is For Sale. Its strong, its about as perfect a 3.0CIS motor you will likely ever find. It sounds killer and is dead nuts reliable. I am probably stupid for selling it. Whatever, it has to go. it is COMPLETE. Like, add a high pressure fuel pump to your early car and get after it, COMPLETE.

Asking $10k OBO. Located in Livermore, CA. Prefer a local sale, but I can stick it on a palette, and ship it truck from my shop if necessary.

Here is the history. The car was in storage from 2006-2010. Car was towed to Redbone Garage in Florida (where the car came from) and they performed and inspection, got oil pressure going and basically went through the car. Mileage was 136190.

Found compression at 180-190 all around, leakdown was 2-4% with the exception of #6 which was at 10% and you could hear it through the exhaust. Strainer was pulled, no metal or chunkage was found. Pulled valve covers and found #4 stud broken. Several other studs broke during removal, all were replaced with new steel factory units. Heads were rebuilt, The bellcrank was rebuilt, hoses replaced, outer pulley half replaced, fan hub was repaired, aux air valve replaced, etc. This was a $6900 repair. Documentation provided to the buyer.

Phil Ulrich bought the car and used it sparingly up in Montana and I purchased it in November 2015. It currently shows 143k miles (and with the shorter tires, that is probably higher than it really is).

I was having some idle issues with the car, presumably from vacuum leaks and the clutch was slipping a little so I had Brad and Kurt at BTM Motorwerks in Campbell, CA pull it apart.
They replaced the front crank seal, throttle bushings, flywheel, oil cooler seals, sump gasket, oil pressure sender, thermostat o-ring, injector holders, o-rings, manifold gaskets, filter housing, pop off, oil lines, serviced it, etc. Kurt did a tune on the distributor and CIS and it runs like a scalded dog. Mileage was 140,133; this was January 2016. Repairs were $4900 and that was a cash/old buddy deal. Documentation provided to the buyer.

I also added an MSD box and fresh plug wires. The air filter is a cleanable unit (BMC IIRC). Currently has block off plates installed for heat ($200, installed 7/21/16)

The engine does not leak a drop of oil and I have added 1.5qts since Brad’s service. This includes a run to the RGruppe Treffen in Palm Springs, two track sessions, one autocross and a bunch of spirited driving. It does not smoke.

The engine comes with currently installed OBX 1-5/8 headers, GT racing intermediate pipes and a modified Bischoff Sport Muffler with GT3 outlets. I have a set of early exchangers if you prefer.

The new flywheel comes with the engine, but the clutch I installed does not. All CIS associated parts come with the engine as I am going to a 3.6. This includes the mount.

Assuming no delays, the engine will be available around the second week of September. Until then you can go for a ride in it if you want. I have video on my IG feed (leftcoasterik) or my facebook (erik lind) if you want to hear it running at an autocross last weekend.
matthepcat
I have seen and heard this engine run. Great condition motor and if anyone knows Erik, its been obsessively maintained and upgraded.

Good luck Erik.
LeftCoastErik
Thanks Matt!
LeftCoastErik
I have had a couple of questions about the engine. It is currently installed in the original 911 that it was born with. You can come check it out for about another week. I expect to be yanking it next Sunday, the 4th of Sept. Thanks for looking
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.