Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Oil Tank Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris_seven
We have a 194/6 with an oil tank that makes a dreadful noise when either cold or hot and I wondered if this was a generic problem or maybe a poor quality tank.
mepstein
They shouldn't make dreadful noises. Something is wrong.
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2016, 10:35 AM) *

They shouldn't make dreadful noises. Something is wrong.

The two I have owned with stock tanks made no noises
gms
QUOTE(chris_seven @ Aug 25 2016, 09:24 AM) *

We have a 194/6 with an oil tank that makes a dreadful noise when either cold or hot and I wondered if this was a generic problem or maybe a poor quality tank.

Is it being pressurizing by piston blow-by?
Mark Henry
Let's see a pic of how it's vented.
Also what brand is it? Factory, vellios, patrick, DWD?

Is it a boiling noise? if it is the return tube, that loops to the top inside the tank may have somehow broke off.
The return scavenge oil has a fair bit air in it, the return tube loops to the top where the oil drops through a screen designed to separate the air from the oil.
QUOTE(chris_seven @ Aug 25 2016, 07:24 AM) *

You will hear gurgling noise at times, so define " dreadful " noise.

I've never heard of a factory tank having items in it come apart in the tank - but then, I don't operate a shop.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 25 2016, 09:34 AM) *
Let's see a pic of how it's vented.

agree.gif

First time i started up my 3.6L i had accidentally left the vent plugged.

The results could certainly be described as "dreadful noise".
shades.gif
iamchappy
Mine gurgles when it first starts up.I have a 930 oil pump so it scavenges from the case at a higher volume.
porschetub
The 911 guys say the wrong type of filter can do this,don't know from personal experience however.
6freak
did it just start? what did you do? ... mine make none that i can hear
smile.gif
Cairo94507
My two previous Sixes (original) never made a peep from the oil tank. My current one, the two times I heard the engine start, run and drive, never said a word either. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.