Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any aviation guys out there
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
Here is my new clock/track timer. It's out of a Soviet mig fully mechanical no wiring needed beer.gif
Click to view attachment
JustinMeier
All you need now is an air speed indicator wink.gif
Tom_T
Dah, Aviatorski alzo! biggrin.gif

I think I've probably seen those in some MIGs on static display at various SoCal Airshows a couple of times since the `60's - well no Migs til the `80's - but don't recall picking one out as such specifically, on their panels.

Which model & era MIG is it out of?

Very cool! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 26 2016, 03:19 PM) *

All you need now is an air speed indicator wink.gif

Frankly, I think he needs the Attitude Indicator first - judging by his pic above! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
porsche-tom
I should install a pitot tube beer3.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Aug 26 2016, 04:00 PM) *

I should install a pitot tube beer3.gif

And one of those vintage aircraft air driven generators for the other instruments! biggrin.gif

Tom, do you know which MIG it came out of?? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
messix
he needs an artificial horizon.... he might be able to fly level then
porsche-tom
I couldn't say for sure it was made in the late 60s I'm sure there are quite a few models it could have been used with
shoguneagle
Funny you mentioned an Altimeter! I have one I carry in the Porsche. Do you have an aircraft compass? Got one of those too. Broke my air speed indicator in a vertical climb, spin, and stall at 25,000 feet in the 914! OH! Was that the nightmare the other night?L)L!!

Seriously, I do have a WWII compompass installed in the the 914 and have a Altimeter in the Glove Box. Now I NEED THE CLOCK/TIMER!

Love Aviation stuff

Steve hurt
A&P FAA Licensed
Steve
Elleeut fly's. I think he has a sopwith camel or was that snoopy?
Elliot Cannon
Last year I saw a 747 clock on ebay. It came from N502UP. I thought it looked familiar so I checked back in my log book and I had flown that very airplane. Like a dummy I didn't buy it. sad.gif I've seen the MIG clocks sometimes on ebay as well.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Last year I saw a 747 clock on ebay. It came from N502UP. I thought it looked familiar so I checked back in my log book and I had flown that very airplane. Like a dummy I didn't buy it. sad.gif I've seen the MIG clocks sometimes on ebay as well.

UPS eh?

Must have been nice flying cargo instead of passengers. A package can't complain when you drop on to the runway wink.gif
wndsnd
I like that, looks good!
My 914
That's sharp! Its functional and goes very well with the other instruments in the dash.
Z356
I love these old military clocks.

Click to view attachment

I have several in my collection including a Swiss-made Jaeger LeCoultre Chronograph:

Click to view attachment

It was built for the Russian military in the 1930's
(who would have thought they could afford it?)
& you see them in eBay every once in a while:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This chronograph, in it's original Swiss version, is
sometimes found in elegant & expensive touring cars
in the 1930's, like John Mozart's 1937 Alfa Romeo's
8C 2900B Touring Spyder (a Pebble Concours winner):

Click to view attachment

And also some post-war rally cars!

The OP's piece looks terrific & seems to be a Russian-made
(Wostok) version of a Swiss Jaeger LeCoultre 'Chronoflite'.
It was used in the Mig 15 (Korean War era) & beyond.
You can see an early version on this Mig 15 cockpit:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It is more common & affordable to purchase that the earlier Swiss made Jaegers:

Click to view attachment

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale, AZ
but currently in NJ

bye1.gif

JustinMeier
QUOTE(Z356 @ Aug 27 2016, 10:47 AM) *

I love ....

Hi neighbor!
kkid
How did you get a black widow in your shift knob? Asking because I want one with a grasshopper. Sorry, it's off the topic.
EdwardBlume
I've been collecting WWII bomber gauges for my project....
Tom_T
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 26 2016, 04:36 PM) *

he needs an artificial horizon.... he might be able to fly level then

I thought I already said that!? shades.gif

"An attitude indicator (AI), also known as gyro horizon or artificial horizon or attitude director indicator (ADI, when it has a Flight Director), is an instrument used in an aircraft to inform the pilot of the orientation of the aircraft relative to Earth's horizon"

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(kkid @ Aug 27 2016, 01:28 PM) *

How did you get a black widow in your shift knob? Asking because I want one with a grasshopper. Sorry, it's off the topic.

They used to sell those cast resin knobs with Black Widows, etc. for VWs etc. back in the 1960's & 70's & were sorta common on Meyers Manxs & Dune Buggies too.

You could probably custom mold one with a Grasshopper for yours, & then use a strong adhesive to mount it to a proper metal mounting collar from another old used 914 shift knob at reasonable cost.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
porsche-tom
The spider is real a red back spider a guy in Australia collects them and makes shift knobs . Customredback.com .he might take requests
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 27 2016, 01:38 PM) *

Rob - that would be cool to mount something from a B-24 in your Dad's car! smile.gif

You could probably modify an old 914 ashtray with a VDO 2 Gauge Mount over where the dash buffer piece goes onto the ashtray for an easily put back to stock mount for 1-2 gauges from the B24 like your Dad flew.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Vysoc
Love it very cool!!!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
mb911
Very cool.. I remember a 66 912 my dad once had that came with a altimeter .. It was factory installed.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2016, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 27 2016, 01:38 PM) *

Rob - that would be cool to mount something from a B-24 in your Dad's car! smile.gif

You could probably modify an old 914 ashtray with a VDO 2 Gauge Mount over where the dash buffer piece goes onto the ashtray for an easily put back to stock mount for 1-2 gauges from the B24 like your Dad flew.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Exactly. It would be great to find a yoke as well.. idea.gif
oakdalecurtis
A little off the path, but Stoli Russian Vodka used to campaign a pair of MIG jets painted in Stoli Red for advertising. When we saw the two Stoli MIGS at the Reno Air Races years ago, the two jets looked sharp from a distance. But if you got up close and looked down along the fuselage, their metal body panels looked like they were hammered out individually on an anvil with a sledge hammer. (Maybe they were). The MIG body panels were so bumpy from one to the next that it made our USA jets look like they were machined out of a single billet of steel. I think Ivan's strategy has always been quantity over quality. But I guess the bumps helped the airflow over the MIGS, as they flew beautifully!
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 27 2016, 03:46 PM) *

Very cool.. I remember a 66 912 my dad once had that came with a altimeter .. It was factory installed.

That probably came in handy to re-jet the carbs if you lived or went to high altitude mountain areas often!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 27 2016, 03:51 PM) *

A little off the path, but Stoli Russian Vodka used to campaign a pair of MIG jets painted in Stoli Red for advertising. When we saw the two Stoli MIGS at the Reno Air Races years ago, the two jets looked sharp from a distance. But if you got up close and looked down along the fuselage, their metal body panels looked like they were hammered out individually on an anvil with a sledge hammer. (Maybe they were). The MIG body panels were so bumpy from one to the next that it made our USA jets look like they were machined out of a single billet of steel. I think Ivan's strategy has always been quantity over quality. But I guess the bumps helped the airflow over the MIGS, as they flew beautifully!
Click to view attachment

Actually Curtis, from what an old Korean War F-86 pilot I knew had said (now deceased), it was that lesser build quality wrinkled skin that gave our slicker aerodynamically F-86 Sabre Jets an edge over those MIG-15s - as well as the use of the full unit stabilators (replaced the earlier fixed horizontal stabilizers with elevators) on the later F-86s resolving the dive & high speed maneuverability problem.

Yes, they were more crudely semi-hand made aircraft, at lower cost than any of ours of that era.

I think that the actor Michael Dorn who played Worf on Startrek TNG has/had a later MIG (17 or a trainer IIRC) which he flew, & was at some of the Miramar NAS/MCAS air shows with it back in the 90's.

Cool Pic! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2016, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 27 2016, 03:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Actually Curtis, from what an old Korean War F-86 pilot I knew had said (now deceased), it was that lesser build quality wrinkled skin that gave our slicker aerodynamically F-86 Sabre Jets an edge over those MIG-15s - as well as the use of the full unit stabilators (replaced the earlier fixed horizontal stabilizers with elevators) on the later F-86s resolving the dive & high speed maneuverability problem.

Yes, they were more crudely semi-hand made aircraft, at lower cost than any of ours of that era.

I think that the actor Michael Dorn who played Worf on Startrek TNG has/had a later MIG (17 or a trainer IIRC) which he flew, & was at some of the Miramar NAS/MCAS air shows with it back in the 90's.

Cool Pic! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom, I agree, but the wrinkled skin might act like dimples on a golf ball, but not compared to our slick hardware. I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 26 2016, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

UPS eh?

Must have been nice flying cargo instead of passengers. A package can't complain when you drop on to the runway wink.gif

Uuuumm. Drop WHAT on the runway?? laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
An interesting thing about the MIG. You can see a broad white stripe painted on the instrument panel. If the airplane went into a spin, you were to place the control stick over that stripe. And hope for the best. laugh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 28 2016, 08:13 PM) *

I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.

Well not for the Russians, Chinese & other "Red" countries - they probably still have warehouses full of parts over there, & they were made "rough & ready" to be maintained & repaired on dirt strips with minimal facilities.

Kinda like the AK47 of the air - not so pretty but works most of the time & cheap/easy to repair - compared to our higher tech & tighter tolerances stuff.

Geez, their "lesser allies" were still flying them at the time of the break-up! huh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 29 2016, 12:50 PM) *

I think you could buy used Russian MIGs for very cheap, the cost was to maintain and fly them.

Well not for the Russians, Chinese & other "Red" countries - they probably still have warehouses full of parts over there, & they were made "rough & ready" to be maintained & repaired on dirt strips with minimal facilities.

Kinda like the AK47 of the air - not so pretty but works most of the time & cheap/easy to repair - compared to our higher tech & tighter tolerances stuff.

Geez, their "lesser allies" were still flying them at the time of the break-up! huh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hey Tom, isn't part of Ivan's strategy always been quantity over quality, whether it's men or machines?
Tom_T
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 29 2016, 12:56 PM) *

Hey Tom, isn't part of Ivan's strategy always been quantity over quality, whether it's men or machines?

agree.gif

Masses of T34s stopped Hitler's Blitzkrieg on the Steppes - & before that, they just threw millions of people at them!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dave_Darling
... the wrinkled skin might act like dimples on a golf ball...

Those only work when the ball is spinning. If the MiG is spinning, it has other things to worry about...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.