Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Conversion Buying Help Wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
I have owned a few 914-4's. I think I know most of the basics to find a good one.
What do I need to know about 6 conversions to buy a good one for street use?

I have lots of 911 parts on my 4 cyl. race car, but I don't know that much about 6 cyl. motors.
What are the +'s and -'s of a 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2.
I know there are some good ones out there, but I have heard many negs about 2.7's.

What upgrades (trans, brakes, cooling, etc) are necessary/recommended and what are optional?
How much do I need to spend to get a nice one?
What do I need to look for? What are some of the warning signs to avoid?

I know that a original 914-6 chassis is probably the best choice.
Are any other years better suited than others?

I have driven a few stock 914-6's but I think I can find a better fun/dollar ratio with a conversion.

Your advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Anybody got one for sale???
scotty
Bring $$$ Check out the listing for the 3.6 conversion in the Downloads Section of this board. You might also try this link for info from some other 'hack' bbs wink.gif

I think any six will give good fun for the dollar... 2.7 works for me. Try to get one with a known history, a recent documented rebuild, or from a good runner. OR, you could buy parts and build the motor of your dreams (bring more $$$) Others here have mo' bettah opinions and aren't being yelled at to tun off the computer

Me? I'm saving for tranny parts (1-2 shift says "Krunch!") and a Rennshift! biggrin.gif
vortrex
there's a yellow 914-6 conversion for sale in the recycler (LA area) for $11.5k.
Scott Carlberg
Re: the engine choices...

pick up the current issue of Excellence magazine, the Market Analysis
is on 74-89 911's. He discusses the different engines, though not
the 2.4 (before '74)

Good luck
J P Stein
Buy Bruce Anderson's 9eleben handbook.....read it from cover to cover.....twice. Then go find a good converted car.....73 or 74 is a good year.

Hotrodded original 6s are way overvalued, IMO, and no better than any other 914.....worst in many respects.

There are more variables than bandwidth on this BBS. biggrin.gif When you see a car that is well done, you'll know it.

If you have the urge to spend money like a drunken sailor, do the conversion yourself.
scotty
^^^^
Others here have mo' bettah opinions
See? laugh.gif
914gem
Rich Johnson at A914GUY@aol.com would be a great guy to talk to. He builds 6 conversion kits and cars. Having sold almost 400 kits and built a bunch a cars he has what seams to be an endless knowledge on the subject.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 22 2003, 11:33 PM)
If you have the urge to spend money like a drunken sailor, do the conversion yourself.

NO THANKS! That's why I am trying to buy somebody elses blood, sweat and tears. (for pennies on the dollar)
Great info. so far from you guys. smilie_flagge6.gif THANKS!

I think I have decided that I "need" a 3.0, or larger.
I know the right car is out there. I just have to find it.
Keep your eyes and ears open, and let me know if you find any good candidates.
Steve
If you want a 3.0 or larger motor go with a 3.2 like I did.
The 3.2 makes a great daily driver with no hassles.
The 3.0 is harder to get in the engine compartment unless you go with webers.
The 3.2 with the stock DME is really easy to wire into the stock harness.
It's also much easier to fit it into the engine compartment.
The 3.0 injection hits the engine lid release.
With the 3.2 I went to Home Depot and bought a section of 4" plastic pipe and just moved the aircleaner over.
I could of used an aftermarket cone filter but I wanted it to be waterproof.
I'm also going to remove the heater blower. It's definetly not needed and it would make it easier to get to the valves.
The Euro 3.2 cost me $5500.00 from a wrecking yard.
I used Rich Johnsons motor mount so I could run factory heat exchangers.
According to the manual it puts out 231 HP stock.
I'm running 914-6 heat exchangers and a Bursch muffler.
It runs great and you don't have to tinker with it like you do with webers.
If you have unlimited cash a 3.6 993 motor goes for around $10K. But you have to extensivily modify the 914-6 engine tin and its a bitch to get to the bottom set of plugs under the motor.
I think the 3.2 is the best bang for the buck for a 914.

Steve
scotty
cool.gif Slick, Steve! cool.gif

Dang, you've got heat, too!
Steve
Thanks Sotty!!
It used to have 2.7 in it with Webers and headers.
I froze my ass off in San Jose in the winter time.
I think any six engine over 200hp is priceless in a 914.
I had a lot of fun with my 2.7 and the webers sounded awesome.
Believe it or not there was a guy in San Jose that gave me these heat exchangers for free because they were not concours for his show car.
I just jet hotted coated them and through them on.
I think when I had my webers they weren't jetted right.
Sometimes I would sit at a stop sign and think I can get across a busy intersection and then the stupid thing would stall in the middle of the intersection.
I finally got the webers setup right and then the 2.7 started pulling head studs.
I did put 100k abusive miles on the 2.7 and it was a used engine when I bought it.
The 3.2 motor was less money than overhauling the 2.7 and I wanted a motor that wouldn't take time away from the family.
But I miss the sound of those webers!!

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.