Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather Basketweave
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
In case you didn't know, I work in Design and have access to many resources.

I've just been speaking to a guy who can make a custom run of imprinted leather to match the original pattern of the 914.
His off the cuff estimate is $25-35 sq. ft. depending on the quantity i wanted to order. Thats without tax and shipping.
So I asked him to knock up a sample piece.

It would be available in half hide (27sq. ft) pieces, which i think would cover an interior, maybe someone else knows the exact amount needed for an interior?

Doorpanels, dash and seat cushions require how much?

Just guaging interest here so let me know how it sounds. Should there be the interest I could make it happen.
With luck, the sample will get here in time for me to bring it along to the WCC for anyone to see who might be keen.

Who needs leather though, right?

736conver
Thats pretty cheap. Id be interested in seeing some pics of it when its done.
Root_Werks
dry.gif I just re-did my int in basket vinyl. dry.gif So I would, but wouldn't be interested. Leather would be cool, but not just after spending $$$ re-doing it all in vinyl. wink.gif I would think there would be some interest here. The price seems more than fair. smile.gif
brer
I just re-did my int in basket vinyl.

How much material did you use?
horizontally-opposed
I would be interested, depending on how much is needed. Can anyone break down the needs for:

Door panels:
Dash strip:
Seat centers:

In truth, I would probably only buy enough for the seat centers, but this is a GREAT idea, because your back won't get as sweaty in hot weather... vinyl don't let your back breathe, IMHO.

pete
TheCabinetmaker
about 6 sq ft per door panel= 12 ft X $35.00=$420.00 just for the doors. That ain't cheap bubba! Why not use "Fine Corinthian Leather"?
Grimstead
I too would be interested. I would also like to know what the going rate for the same thing in vinyl would be to compare apples to apples (some point soon, I will be redoing my whole int.).
Thanks

mueba.gif rocking nana.gif mueba.gif
pjf
Interested too! I'll be doing an interior after my bodywork and would love to do it in leather. Please keep me in mind.
william harris
Interior is next and I gotta do either vinyl or leather. So, I'm interested to see what you can offer. biggrin.gif
brer
hopefully the sample will be finished and show up before the weekend and i'll bring it along to the WCC.

b.
marcelina
Hey!

How about posting a photo ( close up ) along side the original basket weave, just for comparison.
redshift
Careful! Can you not already get it cheaper from World Wide Upholstery?

They have most materials, most petterns, most anything. Kinda.

M
914 novice
QUOTE (brer @ Apr 14 2005, 02:13 PM)
I just re-did my int in basket vinyl.

How much material did you use?

I believe that Dr. Evil does interiors and would be able to get you figures as well as reupholster your interiors for you if you supplied this leather.
Paul
brer
if someone has a better source let me know!

I have no clue how good/bad this material will be yet. I sent him a sample and he said no problem.
We will see how it looks when it gets here. And I'll be sure to post it when i get it.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

brer

brer
I just recieved the sample, and while it is a nice pattern and kind of resembles the original material, it would not pass for consours original.

I will see what else i can come up with.

If you would like to see this one, and some other samples of of leathers then let me know and i will post scans of them. They could be very nice alternatives, albeit not inexpensive or totally original. Small orders might be difficult as well.

Probably the best thing to do would be to try and source an excellent original looking pattern and have all interested parties order their materials at the same time for volume pricing.

No promises, but i'll keep asking around as i am interested in finding some for my own car.

brer
william harris
clap.gif Post some pictures. clap.gif
brer
here's a couple i have here in the office
brer
some more, the brown on on the white paper is the sample i got, they could do it in black too.
Not very close in my opinion
brer
I love this one for a custom race car. Its hand woven leather strips and waxed cord. Comes in browns and green/black and black/red too.

Its $450.00 yd. though. screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.