Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sleeve Boring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Dragon 914
does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have sleeves bored to 96mm from 94mm? Is it better for me to buy a set of new Biral or cast sleeves?

Thanks,
Mueller
Do you mean barrels?

Sleeves go inside barrels or inside engine blocks smile.gif

Where in NorCal? Still a few shops around that do this, have you called anyone yet?

I've used Amaral's Engine Parts & Machine in Fremont with good results. You could also check Bugformance.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 29 2016, 04:12 PM) *

Do you mean barrels?

Where in NorCal? Still a few shops around that do this, have you called anyone yet?

I've used Amaral's Engine Parts & Machine in Fremont with good results. You could also check Bugformance.

Price? I think I paid about $50 per cylinder to have my last block done at a shop in Antioch last year.
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 29 2016, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 29 2016, 04:12 PM) *

Do you mean barrels?

Price? I think I paid about $50 per cylinder to have my last block done at a shop in Antioch last year.

Yup. I'm using my old sleeves and want to get them bored. I also need to send all the parts out to be balanced and to have the flywheel lightened. Where in Antioch did you go and will they do everything?
injunmort
if you have stock cylinders, there aint no sleeves. if you have alloy cylinders, another story. i think aftermarket cylinder/ piston kits are more cost effective than machining stock cylinders and buying pistons/rings. if you have alloy cylinders, try los angeles sleeve and cylinder.
TheCabinetmaker
I pay $30.00 a "cylinder"to have 1mm removed locally.
stugray
Boring:

IPB Image

Not Boring:

IPB Image
Mueller
East Bay Machining, no idea on the balancing in house, he sent out my crankshaft to be fixed and his markup was reasonable.

Very small shop (size of 2 car garage)

I wouldn't expect much help, you need to spell it all out to him.
Good luck and post back if you find someone in the area that can do it all.

Hopefully Mark will chime in, I know he would have had to send parts out.
EdwardBlume
There's a speed shop in Walnut Creek not far from downtown. They have done VW machine work and could likely help you along.

Morgan's Machine and Marine
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 30 2016, 06:47 AM) *

There's a speed shop in Walnut Creek not far from downtown. They have done VW machine work and could likely help you along.

Morgan's Machine and Marine

I think I know where they are. I'll give them a call. I may just buy new cast sleeves as they are only $50 each. I have a set of new stock pistons and cylinders that was damaged when they were shipped to me. All of the cylinders have either cracked or broken fins. I'll check the old ones to see if they are warped and if they aren't, I'll hone them out and keep them for that set.

Anyone know of a place to get JE forged 96mm sets. European Motorwerks in SoCal has them for $800 for the complete set including tax.
matthepcat
smile.gif

QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 29 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Boring:

IPB Image

Not Boring:

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.