Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My "G" Light Is On
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
C'mon guys, everything is new. All of a sudden my "G" (Alternator) light will not go out. No matter what I do. Any ideas?
TheCabinetmaker
Belt tension ok?
Bleyseng
Hey, its better than the oil light being on...

you musta not connected sumthin right

recheck all the wiring to and from the Alt and the belt. rolleyes.gif
Rhodes71/914
New alternator?
Was it tested!
Allan
New Bosch alternater, tested by the best in town. It was good until today. Belt is new (I mean, brand new). All was well untill now. headbang.gif I was ready for the WCC and now it is iffy........
Mueller
QUOTE (Headrage @ Apr 14 2005, 07:54 PM)
New Bosch alternater, tested by the best in town. It was good until today. Belt is new (I mean, brand new). All was well untill now. headbang.gif I was ready for the WCC and now it is iffy........

have you checked to make sure the belt is still on there??

Joe Bob
Have ya put a volt meter on the battery posts? Make sure the battery is FULLY charged....

12.5v at rest
13.0 at idle
13.5-14.0 max at 2500 rpms

Alts do take a dump....they also have regulator probs....see what the meter says and get back to us...
Joe Bob
ALSO....the ground strap at the trans to body under the rear trunk can do some real funky things when not tight or has dirty contacts....
Allan
My gounds are good. Give me the weird stuff.

I gotta go to bed now sad.gif Forgive me. pray.gif
Aaron Cox
voltage regulator new?
grantsfo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 14 2005, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Apr 14 2005, 07:54 PM)
New Bosch alternater, tested by the best in town.  It was good until today.  Belt is new (I mean, brand new). All was well untill now. headbang.gif   I was ready for the WCC and now it is iffy........

have you checked to make sure the belt is still on there??

I'm with Mueller I have had new belts jump off or slip on past teeners.
Joe Bob
I got from SB to Riverside and back w/o a alt working....found out I had a bad dash stooopid bulb and needed a diode on the D+ circuit.....
Joe Bob
A scotch and sofa made me feel better afterwards...
914fire
nice avatar Z...... smilie_pokal.gif
MattR
disconnect the bulb? confused24.gif

lol2.gif
Allan
I'm going to have a scotch and sit on the sofa for awhile thank you very much..

sad.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 14 2005, 07:25 PM)
disconnect the bulb? confused24.gif

lol2.gif

The bulb is part of the circuit you weenie....no bulb no charge

MattR
jump the circuit. get creative ZOIS
Allan
I will check back tomorrow. sad.gif
Joe Bob
Fix it RIGHT .....beeeyotch.....
MattR
oh yeah, well you could do that dry.gif
Aaron Cox
congrats, you have hit your 914's G spot biggrin.gif
skline
I cant believe all you guys, it may not be any of those things. Check fuse number 8, in fact, check all your fuses, I will bet you a drink at the WCC it is a fuse. If it is, you buy me a drink. If it is not a fuse, I will buy you a drink. By the way, I drink Propel!!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 14 2005, 08:43 PM)
I cant believe all you guys, it may not be any of those things. Check fuse number 8, in fact, check all your fuses, I will bet you a drink at the WCC it is a fuse. If it is, you buy me a drink. If it is not a fuse, I will buy you a drink. By the way, I drink Propel!!!

you didnt know that till slits told you..... biggrin.gif
skline
But I remembered, that is the key. And you should have too since you know he is the one who told me. I would say you owe me a drink too. Make it Kiwi Strawberry please!! biggrin.gif
SGB
voltage regulator is an easy replacement , a likely culprit, and not expensive. Give that a try. I've had brand new VRs that were DOA, and caused me to R&R my alt TWICE!
skline
I replaced mine too when the light came on and when I did it came back on about 10 minutes later. That is when Slits told me about fuse 8, it was loose and not making a good connection. Once that was resolved, I have not had the problem since.
Aaron Cox
ironically....

my G light went on nice and bright on my 30 min drive home in the dark...
wonder how long i can go with headlights smile.gif

time to dig in tomorrow
skline
Mine is on constantly in the Chalon. I need to dissconnect it since it doesnt go to anything anymore. Or should it work with the V8 conversion? Andyrew? MrIhop? anyone thats done a V8 conversion that knows?
Reiche
Headrage: Check out this thread on Pelican. If you put on a rebuilt alternator, this could be your problem.
Aaron Cox
things for me to check in da morning...

1) voltage reg
2) #8 fuse
3) did something unplug?
4) do i still have a belt on?
5) is my alternator really dead?
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 14 2005, 09:59 PM)

1) voltage reg
2) #8 fuse
3) did something unplug?

hmmm...

you need a VOM to check stuff? I gots a spare.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 14 2005, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 14 2005, 09:59 PM)

1) voltage reg
2) #8 fuse
3) did something unplug?

hmmm...

you need a VOM to check stuff? I gots a spare.

Dads an EE....i got lots of test equip here...thx for the offer cool.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Mr, Z I have to ask this, does the heat generated by the stroke on your jugs cause distortion?
Elliot_Cannon
When you trouble-shoot electrical problems. Always, always check the easiest things first. What's the easiest thing to check? Scott said something about a fuze? Check that first. Then check the voltage on the battery. First with the engine off, then with the engine running. If the voltage isn't higher with the engine running, you gots gen. or regulator problems. I changed my generator awhile back because I was convinced that it was the problem. Guess what? It was the f**cking fuze!!!! It's an indicator fuze. It's really easy to change. Check the easiest things first.
Cheers, Elliot
Allan
Well, I had my mechanic test the alternator. Putting out 14 volts or so, light is still out but now my freaking battery is dying. WTF NOW?
Joe Bob
Do a load test on the battery...
Allan
Crap, here it goes again. Checked the fuses, tightened all the grounds, belt is good. Light comes on, dims and goes out. Voltage while running 12.6. Restart car, light goes out voltage 14.2. Back and forth, back and forth. WTF?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Apr 18 2005, 12:12 PM)
Crap, here it goes again. Checked the fuses, tightened all the grounds, belt is good. Light comes on, dims and goes out. Voltage while running 12.6. Restart car, light goes out voltage 14.2. Back and forth, back and forth. WTF?

same deal here

visible but dim at idle.... disapears by 1700 rpm dry.gif
Allan
Anybody have a couple extra working alternators they could bring to the WCC just in case? sad.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Checked the connections at the relay board/ wiring harness to starter/alternator?

Have you guys been working on each others cars? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Have you checked to see if there is a break in the wire from the alternator D+ post to the bulb?

You might want to try and hang a temporary wire to see if that corrects it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.