Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Ignition Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The left side of the ignition switch has a threaded hole; what isi it for ?
7TPorsh
Steering lock?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 30 2016, 11:35 AM) *
Steering lock?

No, the steering lock is at the end of the long shaft.
shades.gif

My 911 switch didn't have that hole, what year/car is your switch from?
idea.gif
jcd914
Later 911s 1996 - on (maybe earlier not sure) Porsche added a key lock for car with automatic transmissions. It prevents you from removing the key unless the shifter is in Park. The cable from the shifter screws into the ignition lock at that threaded hole.

Jim

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 30 2016, 12:26 PM) *

Later 911s 1996 - on (maybe earlier not sure) Porsche added a key lock for car with automatic transmissions. It prevents you from removing the key unless the shifter is in Park. The cable from the shifter screws into the ignition lock at that threaded hole.

Jim

Makes sense; when I turn the key to the off position, I can see something move at the back of the hole.
Thanks for the info.

The switch is from the 964 model.....
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 30 2016, 03:34 PM) *

Jim

Makes sense; when I turn the key to the off position, I can see something move at the back of the hole.
Thanks for the info.

The 964 part number is certainly a big clue.
Never touched one that new.
Would probably work in a 6 conversion. Get the switch and plug that go with it.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 30 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Jim

Thanks for the info.

It came complete; right now I'm looking at fitment without doing major changes. I studied Sir Andys thread and would like to install the switch without all the other mods he did
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 30 2016, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 30 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Jim

Thanks for the info.

It came complete; right now I'm looking at fitment without doing major changes. I studied Sir Andys thread and would like to install the switch without all the other mods he did

I don't think that's possible, at least not with out major fab. Our 914 column's are not set up to take a 911 switch. If it was, the whole 914-6 conversion would be much easier.
jim_hoyland
]
I don't think that's possible, at least not with out major fab. Our 914 column's are not set up to take a 911 switch. If it was, the whole 914-6 conversion would be much easier.

You think my best 2nd option is to cut the "arm" off ? NARO did it that way; but I would prefer to not cut it. A non-working lock would
be ok.

And, I contacted the guy you referred me to, Tom Butler, he had the full conversion parts. Still kicking around that path, concerned I could get in over my head.
Eric_Shea
Jeff Hines had a pretty easy solution Jim. Maybe do a search here with "sixnotfour" as the member and +911 +ignition +switch as the search string.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 31 2016, 06:18 PM) *

Jeff Hines had a pretty easy solution Jim. Maybe do a search here with "sixnotfour" as the member and +911 +ignition +switch as the search string.

Thanks; looks very interesting and probably the easiest option so far
theleschyouknow
wow did that search work for you?
I tried on the site and via Google and didn't turn anything up
confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
cjl
Steve
This is all I could find regarding cutting the 911 ignition switch and cuttng off the 914-4 switch.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...43875&st=20
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 31 2016, 11:50 PM) *

This is all I could find regarding cutting the 911 ignition switch and cuttng off the 914-4 switch.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...43875&st=20

That's got some good pics, thanks for posting the link. I'm curious whether the complete switch could be mounted but not have a working steering wheel lock; such that the steering column, and turn signal/wipers switches would not have to be changed ??
Steve
According to the thread Naro914 cut the locking part of the 911 ignition switch off. He also cutoff the 914 switch and welded up the hole. The 75 has a plastic housing. I don't know if that would help or make it harder to close up. I have a 73 metal housing. I could bring it this Saturday to compare the two.
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 30 2016, 09:55 PM) *

]

You think my best 2nd option is to cut the "arm" off ? NARO did it that way; but I would prefer to not cut it. A non-working lock would
be ok.

And, I contacted the guy you referred me to, Tom Butler, he had the full conversion parts. Still kicking around that path, concerned I could get in over my head.

Tom is a good guy. I've bought a good amount of parts from him.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 1 2016, 06:25 AM) *

According to the thread Naro914 cut the locking part of the 911 ignition switch off. He also cutoff the 914 switch and welded up the hole. The 75 has a plastic housing. I don't know if that would help or make it harder to close up. I have a 73 metal housing. I could bring it this Saturday to compare the two.

Great, I'd like to see it; this maybe comeing together.

Thanks all for all the input, it's a big help
John
I fabbed a small sheet metal box when I did my car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I made my steering column from a 1973 911 part and welded wings on it to match my 1974 Chassis then plated it.

Click to view attachment

My steering column locking mechanism as well as all of the switches work as designed.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(John @ Sep 2 2016, 12:24 PM) *

I made my steering column from a 1973 911 part and welded wings on it to match my 1974 Chassis then plated it.

My steering column locking mechanism as well as all of the switches work as designed.

Really nice professional looking job ! smile.gif Does the steering column use the original shaft ? Are the 911 and 914 shafts splined alike ? If different, what mods are required....
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 2 2016, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Sep 2 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Really nice professional looking job ! smile.gif Does the steering column use the original shaft ? Are the 911 and 914 shafts splined alike ? If different, what mods are required....

911 & 914 have the same spline. If you are using a 911 steering shaft it would be best to use a wheel from a 70 or 77, 914. No mods required. The later wheels require a small mod and the fit is ok but not perfect because of a chamfered shaft vs flat.
jim_hoyland
911 & 914 have the same spline. If you are using a 911 steering shaft it would be best to use a wheel from a 70 or 77, 914. No mods required. The later wheels require a small mod and the fit is ok but not perfect because of a chamfered shaft vs flat.

Reason I ask is my car has a Momo adapter, a quick release, and a Prototipo wheel....hmmm
sixnotfour
REDRUM driving.gif 1976 Jim your fog light switch will need to be relocated
stock switch.. zero rewire ..

in about am hour or two
jim_hoyland
SNF: will the connection going to the stock switch reach the left side switch after install ? Or does the connector require lengthening ?

The fog light switch will move to the right side
sixnotfour
Jim it reaches,,no problem

sixnotfour
Jim it reaches,,no problem

Nutter965
Restoration design is now making the dimple for the dash to suit a 911 ignition switch !
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Nutter965 @ Sep 4 2016, 06:10 AM) *

Restoration design is now making the dimple for the dash to suit a 911 ignition switch !

Yup...
sixnotfour
ya But ..... KISS
sixnotfour
blink.gif done.. 4-1/8 holes ,, 1- 13\8 hole
Montreal914
@sixnotfour

Reviving this interesting simpler option thread. smile.gif

1- Was there a specific reason for using a 75-76 column? Was it because the clam shell is plastic? Would a 75-76 plastic clamshell fit a 73-74 column?

2- What was the requirement for using the 73-74 lock assembly and the 75-76 bezel? Look?

3- You machined an aluminum (or steel?) plate that would be mounted on the backside (?) of the dash supporting the assembly? How is the ignition cylinder held to the aluminum (steel?) plate?

4- The angled ignition housing was cut from the aluminum column casting and the clam shell, how was the clamshell rebuilt with its now cylindrical look?

Sorry for all these questions... rolleyes.gif

Thanks!! beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 28 2022, 09:57 AM) *

@sixnotfour

Reviving this interesting simpler option thread. smile.gif

1- Was there a specific reason for using a 75-76 column? Was it because the clam shell is plastic? Would a 75-76 plastic clamshell fit a 73-74 column?

2- What was the requirement for using the 73-74 lock assembly and the 75-76 bezel? Look?

3- You machined an aluminum (or steel?) plate that would be mounted on the backside (?) of the dash supporting the assembly? How is the ignition cylinder held to the aluminum (steel?) plate?

4- The angled ignition housing was cut from the aluminum column casting and the clam shell, how was the clamshell rebuilt with its now cylindrical look?

Sorry for all these questions... :rolleye14 is a 76

Thanks!! beerchug.gif

My 914 is a 76..
earlier columns can be done the same way..
I have a mold for a resin piece and one screw holds it in place.
Epoxied in a filler piece.

jim_hoyland
Mine works great; smile.gif And fog light switch is just to the right of the steering column. The blue button is a Start switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.