Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How is the trunk frame attached?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
How is the trunk frame attached to the skin of the rear trunk?

Mine has been repaired, probably because of some rust issues, and the part of the frame to which the rear latch attaches seems to pull away from the skin causing the lid to sit too high.

It looks like the P.O. puts something in there, an adhesive, or foam, or something....I will dig into it more, but I am curious how it is attached from the factory, because I can see no welds.

TIA

-Andrew
Chris914n6
Factory put foam in there.... holds water for the rust nicely.
The outer skin folds over, like door skins.
mbseto
That situation sounds familiar. Mine looks like you describe but I'm not sure how to deal with it either. Is this what yours looks like?:

Click to view attachment

Can this be resolved without prying the pieces apart? If that's really foam in there, I'd almost rather dissolve it out with acetone, then soak it with converter than try to take it apart.

amfab
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 31 2016, 09:36 AM) *

That situation sounds familiar. Mine looks like you describe but I'm not sure how to deal with it either. Is this what yours looks like?:

Click to view attachment

Can this be resolved without prying the pieces apart? If that's really foam in there, I'd almost rather dissolve it out with acetone, then soak it with converter than try to take it apart.

Yes that is what mine is doing but its a little worse. I think there was some rust on the frame toward the rear of the latch pin because there is a little fiberglass mat there from a P.O.

I was thinking the exact same thing, dissolving the foam with something, but I am thinking that the only way to get it back in line is to clamp it up and maybe weld some thin metal across there
mbseto
My trunk looks ok from the outside, might get away with not doing anything, but I was hoping an experienced body guy would chime in...
r_towle
3m panel adhesive and clamps
amfab
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 1 2016, 02:10 PM) *

3m panel adhesive and clamps

Awesome! I just watched a video on that adhesive, that looks like a totally workable solution Thank you!

-Andrew
amfab
3M panel adhesive worked fantastically. Thank you for the tip!

It was 100 bucks for the adhesive and gun:
3M 08115 Panel Adhesive & 3M 08571 Manual Applicator Gun.

I couldn't melt the foam—lacquer thinner, mineral spirits and alcohol wouldn't do it, I realized after I had the lid off I was out of acetone, but I doubt that would have worked.

I took my 5" disk air sander and was able to get it an inch or inch and a half into the seam cutting the foam and sanding off the paint, then I flipped the disk upside down and cut more foam and sanded the inside of the frame. I did this across the center section that holds the lock pin and an inch or so up the ribs going toward the front of the car. I then hand sanded with some 220, and sliced a finger really well on the knife edge I had created out of the ribs.

I blew it all out then rinsed with lacquer thinner. I then squirted the adhesive in there and used a ½ inch x 2 inch piece of molding on top of some foam to spread the clamping force on the outside of the lid and clamped with three clamps. I wiped off the excess adhesive with some solvent.

They said to let set for 4 hours but it was a little cool so I let it set up over night. I sanded it a little and touched up with some body colored spray paint (paintscratch.com). The adhesve works perfectly. I used about 2/3rds of the tube. It was the smallest size available (200ml). I probably could have used less but I just kept pumping it in there to make certain there was enough.

Again, thanks r_towle for the recommendation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.