Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tell reproduciton vs original tail light lenses?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JmuRiz
How do you tell if your tail light lenses are original or reproduciton parts?

I have a set of euro tails and fronts that came with my car when I bought it 16+ years ago. I have since changed to USA lights in the rear and Italian in the front, as I think they look better with the color of my car.

Just wondering if I have original euro lenses or reproductions. It seems like there is a huge difference in value if I end up selling them off.

Thanks,

Nathan

PS: Let me know the going rate for euro tails these days, I've seen anything from $400-600 for a set, yikes! That's a lot more than $200-250 for a set of new reproductions.
mepstein
I don't think any of the repros were actually using the hella logo. - at least not yet.

$200-400 used
$600-650 nos
JmuRiz
Cool deal, thanks for making it a simple check to make biggrin.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 31 2016, 08:28 AM) *

I don't think any of the repros were actually using the hella logo. - at least not yet.

agree.gif

I think AA's repop's have "AutoAL" or something where the real ones have Hella and a small "Made in Germany"

Pics from my recent Ebay score (US version):
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 31 2016, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 31 2016, 08:28 AM) *

agree.gif

I think AA's repop's have "AutoAL" or something where the real ones have Hella and a small "Made in Germany"

Pics from my recent Ebay score (US version):
Click to view attachment

agree.gif

And Nathan, if they're really early pre-German-reunification <88 or so, then they'll say "Made in Western Germany" (as with other parts on our 70's cars & older NOS parts), not knowing when the lenses were put on your 914.

However, I don't think that there is any or a big price difference in the Germany vs. W. German flavor though, maybe 5-10% I'd guess.

beerchug.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 31 2016, 11:29 AM) *

And Nathan, if they're really early pre-German-reunification <88 or so, then they'll say "Made in Western Germany" (as with other parts on our 70's cars & older NOS parts), not knowing when the lenses were put on your 914.

That's not correct, Tom. Factory original Hella taillight lenses will say Made in Germany.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.