Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oklahoma earthquake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TheCabinetmaker
Was standing at my smoker at 7:06 this morning and heard a rumbling. Then the ground started shaking and my 300lb smoker moved about 6".
Officially it was a 5.6. Center was in pawnee. About 50 miles from Tulsa. Largest quake ever in Oklahoma. Tornados and floods are the norm here. Now we have earth quakes too? Freaky.
914Sixer
People forget Oklahoma has mountains in the East part of the state. Good place for slip faults to occur. Nothing like the ground moving to give you a wake up call though.
TheCabinetmaker
This was closer to the center of the state. Oil country. Known fault line there. They are blamed on fracking. Felt as far away as Kansas City and Memphis. Ground shook for a full two minutes.
BeatNavy
Hopefully no injuries or damage (particularly to you, your teener, or whatever it is you're smokin' Curt smile.gif. ) Growing up in California I was sort of used to them, but two minutes is a long enough shaker to give anyone pause (and maybe require a change of underwear).
914Sixer
Every time we have an earthquake in the Eagle-Ford Shale field in South Texas they blame it on fracking too. They seem to forget all about the fault zones that crisscross Texas.
MegaLug
Not from Fracking...if it was we ALL better buy new underwear .
Porschef
Wow. At the smoker at 7:00 am is impressive. Suckling pig? smile.gif

Read an interesting article recently (Time mag, I think) about the tremendous increase in quakes in Ok in the last three to five years. Fits the franking timeline pretty well. Coincidence? Methinks correlation. dry.gif
Keyser Sose
Absolutely a correlation. You turn the bedrock into gravel and think things aren't going to move and settle? Of course they are. Lubricate that fault line and you think that will keep it stable? Why?

914_teener
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 3 2016, 06:09 AM) *

Every time we have an earthquake in the Eagle-Ford Shale field in South Texas they blame it on fracking too. They seem to forget all about the fault zones that crisscross Texas.

They are scientists and engineers and most of them are proven to caused by hydraulic fracturing of the bed rock. Previously inactive faultlines move.

Bottom line.
JoeDees
If the increase in quakes in OK is not due to fracking it is the greatest coincidence ever.
Elliot Cannon
Look up Madrid Fault. Then pack up an earthquake survival kit. At least three days of water etc. Good luck. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 3 2016, 09:37 AM) *

Wow. At the smoker at 7:00 am is impressive. Suckling pig? smile.gif

Read an interesting article recently (Time mag, I think) about the tremendous increase in quakes in Ok in the last three to five years. Fits the franking timeline pretty well. Coincidence? Methinks correlation. dry.gif

i was out lighting them at 4am. Brisket, ribs, and baked beans for 40.

It's absolutely from fracking. The 5.6 today shares the record with one from decades ago. There is a fault line running thru central ok. The frequency of quakes here has increased greatly in the last 5 years. About the same time they started fracking.
Coondog
5.6-------------yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. In Cailf anything less then a 6.0 doesn't even make the news....... lol-2.gif
76-914
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 3 2016, 06:05 AM) *

Hopefully no injuries or damage (particularly to you, your teener, or whatever it is you're smokin' Curt smile.gif. ) Growing up in California I was sort of used to them, but two minutes is a long enough shaker to give anyone pause (and maybe require a change of underwear).

After 15 seconds I start worrying and wait for something bigger. Don't know if the Madrid fault is in MO but IIRC, that is where the largest quake occurred in the USA. Maybe the 1700's?
HAM Inc
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Sep 3 2016, 07:59 AM) *

If the increase in quakes in OK is not due to fracking it is the greatest coincidence ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4wPaBNryA
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 3 2016, 10:13 AM) *

5.6-------------yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. In Cailf anything less then a 6.0 doesn't even make the news....... lol-2.gif

I figured that would come up from one of you West coast guys. Kinda like any tornado in soCal?
jmitro
i was in Norman driving and didn't feel it. My wife called me freakin out. Dogs started barking etc blink.gif
rhodyguy
OK has mountains? Like REAL mountains, or semi tall hills? dry.gif
Shadowfax
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 3 2016, 10:00 AM) *

Look up Madrid Fault. Then pack up an earthquake survival kit. At least three days of water etc. Good luck. biggrin.gif

The New Madrid earthquakes changed the course of the Mississippi River. Was not densely populated back then. Would be a major disaster if and when it happens again.

Glad you are OK, Curt. Also glad you didn't lose your BBQ! Wastewater disposal wells have also been linked to the earthquakes. Didn't the Corporation Commission or Legislature put some kind of moratorium on those?
TheCabinetmaker
They stopped all new injection wells and some existing but not all. Governor shut down 35 more in the area of the quake today. Too little, too late.
stugray
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 3 2016, 10:05 AM) *

OK has mountains? Like REAL mountains, or semi tall hills? dry.gif

The closest thing OK has to mountains is the new stadium in Norman...
That or the hills around Turner falls.
JoeDees
The fact that we would do off site PT and run up Mt Scott (the tallest mountain in Oklahoma) enjoy the view and then run back down in an hour tells you the degree of these mountains.
TheCabinetmaker
Ozark mtns in the n.e. Kiamichi mtns in the s.e. 4000' high Pine forest. Black mesa in the panhandle is the highest point at 5200 ft.
mark04usa
QUOTE(MegaLug @ Sep 3 2016, 09:10 AM) *

Not from Fracking...if it was we ALL better buy new underwear .

Science and data point to fracking and salt water disposal by deep ground injection causing frequency of earthquakes in OK to increase from average of less than two 3.0 tremmors per year prior to 2009, to hundreds per year over the past few.

I would suggest that you get some new undies if science makes you poopy shades.gif
Elliot Cannon
"I done know where I'ma gonna go when the volcano blows". Jimmy Boofay.
Gunn1

Somethings to consider.

"USGS researcher William Ellsworth told the Associated Press that “deep injection of the wastes still is the principal culprit,” adding that the “controversial method of hydraulic fracturing or fracking, even though that may be used in the drilling, is not physically causing the shakes.”

Click on link for further info

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/06/scientis.../#ixzz4JEtXFyKK
veekry9
dry.gif
Citing the 'science',without a reference,amounts to hearsay,inadmissible as evidence.
Merely repeating noises in your head doesn't make it reality,just propaganda,or bs.
The mainstream media wouldn't lie to you,would they?A load of hogwash fed to you as
'real science',is a tool to shape opinion,repeating the lie to 'make' truth,not fact.
Underground nuke testing,for decades,certainly had a greater effect on the tectonic plates.
Ultimately,the planet will affect it's lifeforms,not vice versa,a profoundly presumptive narcissism.
laugh.gif
If I showed you a hockey stick graph,would you take the bait?
lol-2.gif
/
Sleepin
headbang.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Sep 3 2016, 06:53 PM) *

dry.gif
Citing the 'science',without a reference,amounts to hearsay,inadmissible as evidence.
Merely repeating noises in your head doesn't make it reality,just propaganda,or bs.
The mainstream media wouldn't lie to you,would they?A load of hogwash fed to you as
'real science',is a tool to shape opinion,repeating the lie to 'make' truth,not fact.
Underground nuke testing,for decades,certainly had a greater effect on the tectonic plates.
Ultimately,the planet will affect it's lifeforms,not vice versa,a profoundly presumptive narcissism.
laugh.gif
If I showed you a hockey stick graph,would you take the bait?
lol-2.gif
/

Well said

We tend to be an arrogant lifeform, thinking us puny humans can reak the same catastrophes as Mother Nature can.

Pretty tough to beat MOM.
Sleepin
Hydraulic fracturing causing earthquakes! lol-2.gif It must be from all of the cancer that I have pumped downhole for the last 13 years. rolleyes.gif
Beebo Kanelle
We need a strong leader like Hillary to ban earthquakes. She is the only candidate that can do it, that we can all agree on.
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0K4ApWl4g

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/09/403130170/th...war-over-worlds
Well,the radio back then,and the MM today is used to great effect to promote sales,whatever the result.
From record tying to 'HUGEST EVER!',in 30 minutes,for the largest headline.
A test,to check the veracity of the news,is the Martian Coefficient Method,meaning,the technique used.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-okl...an-made-causes/
A few anecdotal testimonials,nothing as evidence,or scientific fact.But,there is a storyline.
Oh! ..It's linked!
dry.gif
/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=oklahoma+oil...QM6DkYQ_AUIBigB
A search for a dataset of quakes caused by the oil harvesting in the '30s,has no result.If it did happen,it wasn't newsworthy.
/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+madrid+q...FCXj2AiZgANM%3A
Will it shake?
Yes.
When?
Can't tell,no way to calculate probability with any accuracy.
We have only improved the ability to measure the shaking and the changes of the topography.
We can use lasers and satellites,but,cause and effect is purely conjecture,and inflammatory hot air.

/
Dave_Darling
Well, that got political quickly.

Glad you're OK, Curt!

But I believe this thread should be locked ASAP. Mods?

--DD
veekry9
Are you dizzy?
Do you feel faint?
laugh.gif
/
76-914
Hey Curt, I'm putting a Brisket on the smoker at 10 PST tonite. If anyone feels shaking at that time pm me and I'll take it off. av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif Glad your OK. That was a good she.
RickS
" Only three earthquakes of magnatude 3.0 or stronger were recorded in 2009. Last year, the state had 907 such quakes. So far this year, there have been more than 400." NY Times. Since the scientists ( the same people who put a man on the moon, created nuclear power, brought you virtually every modern convenience and medicine ) are so obviously wrong about increased fracking causing more frequent quakes, there is only one reasonable explanation, It must be Barney.

Oh and with increases in lowland coastal flooding, it's not climate change, it's Barney.

And the next time you get deathly ill, don't see a doctor because they were trained in medical science, so see save yourself some money and see a witch doctor since they are tainted by the scientific method just like the majority of the nay-sayers.

But disregard what I wrote since I have a background in geology and physical (gasp) science.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Are you predicting a large New Madrid quake?And if so,what is the forecast window of probability?
Take your time,it's a tough question.More data needs to be simulated with the latest algorithm modelling.

Meanwhile,the news is about the New Yorker's 'Pulitzer Prize winning' article.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwes...quake_sure.html
https://www.google.ca/search?q=quake+in+ok&...7hngEq8Dd-zM%3A

An interesting topic,and a great conversation stimulator,as most everyone is interested in self preservation.
A new home design,to survive great movements of the earth,coming soon.
biggrin.gif
/
MegaLug
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 3 2016, 09:54 PM) *

Well, that got political quickly.

Glad you're OK, Curt!

But I believe this thread should be locked ASAP. Mods?

--DD

A little OT

This thread is Definitely shovel and bucket material, but as someone on this site once said,

"Democracy on this site is up to the discretion of the owner. Whom I might add exhibits an extreme amount of leniency regarding rules/enforcement.
The alternative is to open your own site."

Leniency is wonderful, as long as it's applied equally and without favoritism.

Keyser Sose
Yeah, when the "your stuped" argument fails you shift into "baffle them with bullsh!t" and throw up some unrelated studies. Problem is that facts are facts and something did, in fact, change.

Here, that non-existent "hockey stick." If it was fracking or re-injecting drilling fluids/salt water, something sure changed pretty dramatically in about 2009 when the graph turns red:

IPB Image

I'm with Dave though, there's an attempt here to politicize science. That's ridiculous and can not end well.

EdwardBlume
Are you sure its not indigestion? lol-2.gif
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 4 2016, 06:13 AM) *

Are you sure its not indigestion? lol-2.gif

Ha ha, gas? Yeah, definite possibility.

Porschef
Ok, never mind all that. How'd dem ribs and brisket turn out? beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Wow! I had dinner, then went to bed and wake up to a political discussion.

Thanks for asking porschef. Used a new injection solution on the brisket. It was amazing! Cooked till probe tender. 201 internal temp. 1/4 " slices that had a good pull. Ribs were championship quality. Done to perfection with a clean bite. Very tender, but not quite fall off the bone.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 4 2016, 07:47 AM) *

Ribs were championship quality. Done to perfection with a clean bite. Very tender, but not quite fall off the bone.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
OK Rob. Here ya go!

The sear.
IPB Image

Sliced
IPB Image

Ribbage
IPB Image

What's bbq without baked beans
IPB Image
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
rhodyguy
Home made beans? I'd like the recipe. Ribs look to perfection.
Big Len
OH MAN, DOES THAT LOOK FREAKIN' GOOD
altitude411
chowtime.gif beer.gif
rgalla9146
....so you fracked the ribs before cookin' ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.