Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Get the Center Light to Seat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I have the interior light in the center of the back pad out and easy to work on. It won't for the life of me click in. What's the secret?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 4 2016, 03:44 PM) *

I have the interior light in the center of the back pad out and easy to work on. It won't for the life of me click in. What's the secret?

Pretty sure it is always hot but the door opening provides ground. Check first by grounding light and then each of the the door switches.
ConeDodger
You probably have the VW "replacement" light. I'm having rhe same problem. I just finished building up a new back pad. I called McMark about it earlier this week. I think he's working on a solution, but life is crazy for Mark right now. Just let him know you're interested to see what he can come up with.
r_towle
Look at the spring clip where it latches.
Dremel out the back of the pad at that area where it latches to match the thickness required by the latch.
rgalla9146
The lamp is best installed on the back pad before the back pad is installed in the car.
This allows you to press he lamp into the pad while keeping the pad from pushing away from the catch on the lamp.
Once the lamp is set in place attach the wires then install the pad.
76-914
It helps if it is an OEM light but you can't push hard enough on those aftermarket lights. The grip depth isn't correct.
EdwardBlume
The BP is out as I am reupholstering them. I think I'll cut light then and see what happens.
Darren C
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2016, 01:47 AM) *

The lamp is best installed on the back pad before the back pad is installed in the car.
This allows you to press he lamp into the pad while keeping the pad from pushing away from the catch on the lamp.

I agree.

The replacement VW and new lamp units have clips that are made for a thinner panel to clip into. (Basically a sheet steel, not a vinyl trimmed fibre board with padding as in the 914) Consequently I had to file the new lamp clip to accept a thicker panel (at the plastic end) and re bend the metal retaining clip the same at the other end.
All best done with panel out the car so you can see whats going on from the other side.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 5 2016, 04:18 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2016, 01:47 AM) *

I agree.

The replacement VW and new lamp units have clips that are made for a thinner panel to clip into. (Basically a sheet steel, not a vinyl trimmed fibre board with padding as in the 914) Consequently I had to file the new lamp clip to accept a thicker panel (at the plastic end) and re bend the metal retaining clip the same at the other end.
All best done with panel out the car so you can see whats going on from the other side.

Thanks for the tip. Better get working!
davesprinkle
I agree with previous answers that the problem is the later Beetle replacement lights were intended to clip onto thin sheet metal. The clips on these lights are too thin to install into the 914 backpad. I addressed this by cutting the backpad opening slightly oversized (by 1/8" or so). Then I pop-riveted sheet-metal (aluminum will work) onto the back-pad to bring the opening back to its correct size. This leaves you with the correctly-sized opening with thickness that will work with the replacement light. (Obviously, this must be done with upholstery removed.)
carcus
When I took my seats out for replacement, I put it in with the back pad as stated, perfect fit. Only problem is my VW repro light does not come on anymore when I open the door. Not sure what caused that. My OEM seat light split in half and crumbled. I assume I had all the spade connectors in the right places. I would love to have the light turn on like it did with the OEM piece with the doors open. Right now...stuck for a resolution. Maybe one of the 2 right connectors I have reversed, but I think if that happened the light would not even come on. I actually would like to take it out again and fiddle with it to put in a white LED light. Don't know if I want to mess with it again for now though.
Darren C
You need to make sure the positive feed is on the non switch end and the two ground wires are on the twin connection end where the switch is. One wire is a permanent ground (to turn on the light when you move the switch) the other is only a ground when the doors open (from the switches by the door hinges)
Pop the light fitting out, take a meter and check you have a live feed first, then check your two grounds, you'll see straight away if you've crossed any wires when you fitted the new light.

It is possible to have the live feed on one of the switch twin connectors and the lamp will light in only one switch position.
Its also possible for the lamp to light in one switch position only if either of the grounds has a fault
The law of averages means that if the lamp wont light in either switch position its more likely to be the positive feed.
That said you do need to check the bulb is good or your falling at the first hurdle

Good luck
Valy
We've been there before. Look at my solution.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=186657
EdwardBlume
I just finished the back pad
EdwardBlume
Got the light to seat
EdwardBlume
Not hard at all
EdwardBlume
Best part was reconstructing the particle board...
ConeDodger
Mine is all installed. Looks very good. I think whoever said that the problem with the VW replacement light is that it is intended to be installed to thin sheet metal is spot on. My backpad uses the fiberglass panels supplied by 914Rubber and I find them to be thinner than the pressed board originals. The light popped right in. Never would before.

Never mind the seats. They're next! evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.