Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snap-On Scissor Lift - NLA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
From searching the threads on this forum, the Snap-On scissor lift is favored by some because it is low enough to drive onto without needing ramps. I called Snap-On because I could not locate them for sale anywhere. It turns out that it is discontinued. I am suspecting that it is still available under a different brand. Anyone know?
mepstein
I don't know if you they are still sold new but I bought mine used. They are built like a tank and easy to service the cylinder at any hydraulic repair shop. So you might want to consider used.

PS - Dion told me he uses some 2x under his car so if your car is low you probably need some small ramps with these lifts.
dcheek
Greg Smith Equipment has them.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Car-Scis...se-Scissor-Lift

If you have the headroom (10 feet)) go with a 2 post BP-8000 lift. It's the same price and works great. I've had one for several years with no problems.

Dave
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 6 2016, 06:36 AM) *

If you have the headroom (10 feet)) go with a 2 post BP-8000 lift. It's the same price and works great. I've had one for several years with no problems.

Dave

agree.gif

Got mine from them in Indy, but they have other locations. Best $$ I spent as I don't have the head room for a two post lift. I did have to make ramps for lowered car to clear the arms, but most stock right height 914s have no issues clearing them.

I got the Atlas TDMR 6000lb lift. Very happy with it.
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 6 2016, 05:44 AM) *

Dave

agree.gif

Got mine from them in Indy, but they have other locations. Best $$ I spent as I don't have the head room for a two post lift. I did have to make ramps for lowered car to clear the arms, but most stock right height 914s have no issues clearing them.

Quick question for these scissor type lifts. How safe are they for a tail happy 911? I ask because even with a two post lift. When lifting a CGT, its highly recommend ( think its factory procedure) to tie down the front of the car. Otherwise you risk the CGT falling of the lift.
McMark
CGT is also insanely light. I have a 911 on mine right now. No problem. Fill the tank with fuel if you're concerned. Fuel is heavy.
Amphicar770
I sold my SnapOn Lift to Dion. They were actually made by a company called Wheeltronic. Built like a tank (and weigh about as much). I did have the cylinder rebuilt for around $100.

These do show up on ebay and Craigslist from time to time.

It will fit under the 914 but it is very close. Many people build wood ramps or else you can pick up a set of racer ramps made for especially midrise lifts. They are super light but also expensive. I still have my set if anyone is interested. Below is a link to those.

http://www.autogeek.net/race-ramps-car-lif...-car-lift-ramps

My 4-post is a Gregg Smith unit and I have been happy with it.
dcheek
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 6 2016, 05:02 AM) *

Dave

agree.gif

Quick question for these scissor type lifts. How safe are they for a tail happy 911? I ask because even with a two post lift. When lifting a CGT, its highly recommend ( think its factory procedure) to tie down the front of the car. Otherwise you risk the CGT falling of the lift.

This is really not a problem with the Greg Smith 2 post lift as the arms can be asymmetrically adjusted to compensate for the extra rear weight. I don't know if you can do the same with a scissor lift since I've never owned one.

Dave
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 6 2016, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Sep 6 2016, 05:02 AM) *

Dave

agree.gif

This is really not a problem with the Greg Smith 2 post lift as the arms can be asymmetrically adjusted to compensate for the extra rear weight. I don't know if you can do the same with a scissor lift since I've never owned one.

Dave

The arms are adjustable and I have had no issues with the few (4) 911/912 I have had on it.
Dion
No issues. Arms adjustable. Picked mine up courtesy Amphicar.
Keep an eye on classifieds. The lift wil spoil ya!
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2016, 07:01 AM) *

CGT is also insanely light. I have a 911 on mine right now. No problem. Fill the tank with fuel if you're concerned. Fuel is heavy.

The CGT is not really light. It weights in at 3147 lbs. If it were in the mid 2000 like an early long hood maybe.
But I get the idea.
mlindner
Had my BendPak for eight years, love it. And an afternoon cutting cement and fabricating. Best. Mark
mlindner
And there is no issue with the tail of a 911/993. You are using the same factory jack points as a two post.....Mark
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 6 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Had my BendPak for eight years, love it. And an afternoon cutting cement and fabricating. Best. Mark

Thanks, picture is worth its weight in platinum.

Ps, clean looking wheel liner, nice ! pray.gif .
Porschef
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 6 2016, 02:14 PM) *

drooley.gif drooley.gif

That's beautiful. What size is the pit? Does it interfere with access at all?

siverson
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 6 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Hey - I think I copied your pit! Or we both copied the same person! smile.gif

-Steve

injunmort
my bend pac is a piece of sh**t. it has leaked like a sieve since it was delivered. spent an extra $1000.00 over the harbor freight unit and have regretted it ever since. looks like it was welded by same 12 year old chinese boy. having a lift is great and worth the money, having one that pisses $35.00 worth of atf a month, not so much. fwiw
mlindner
No access issues. Making it, the original cement was 4 plus inches thick. Went down another twelve inches into the soil. Poured six inchs ( Six bag mix) and then formed up the sides with rebarb and did second day pour for the sides. Just a few inches bigger then the size of the lift. The best thing....It's just the best 4 x 8 foot work bench coming out of the floor you could ever ask for. I can provide a little more information if your really interested in a in floor lift. Mark
mlindner
injunmort....sorry to hear that. Mine has been perfect. Many lifts, engines, trannys, lots of breaks.....928's, 993, 914, jettas....But that said. all scissor lifts come from China...even BendPaks. Best, Mark
mlindner
Steve, missed you post..... Yes, ours are the same....and even the cars...914-6 Gt Tributes. Best, Mark
Cracker
Dion - How easy is it to drop the engine out of the car with a scissor?

Tony

QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 6 2016, 12:22 PM) *

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 6 2016, 09:12 PM) *

Tony

I'm not Dion, but my 2cents. It is very easy. I have done it 100's of times The key (for me anyway) is to make sure the engine bar clears the back of the lift by a few inches before you lift the car.

I do it by getting everything disconnected except the engine bar and trans mounts then lower the car down so the engine sits over a furniture dolly, disconnect the engine bar & trans mounts and lift the car.

I do plan to get one of these 1000lb lifting tables soon. It will make dropping the engine easier still (for me) since I won't have to lower the car on the dolly. I will have to modify the handle I think.

Lift table
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 6 2016, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 6 2016, 09:12 PM) *

Tony

I'm not Dion, but my 2cents. It is very easy. I have done it 100's of times The key (for me anyway) is to make sure the engine bar clears the back of the lift by a few inches before you lift the car.

I do it by getting everything disconnected except the engine bar and trans mounts then lower the car down so the engine sits over a furniture dolly, disconnect the engine bar & trans mounts and lift the car.

I do plan to get one of these 1000lb lifting tables soon. It will make dropping the engine easier still (for me) since I won't have to lower the car on the dolly. I will have to modify the handle I think.

Lift table

We have a half a dozen of these in the shop. They are a pain for 914 engine drops. They are perfect for 911 engines (99.9% of our business)
injunmort
cake walk to drop engine with scissor lift after car/lift are positioned correctly. did the last one with harbor freight lift table, made removal and install even easier. i did drop the handles of the table so that there were no obstructions though. on sale it was 125 bucks, well worth it as it has many uses. the handles are only held in by a clevis and clip. pull the clevises and all functions normal with additional clearance.
Dion
Tony, sorry for the late reply. I dropped the engine last week with no issues, by myself.
Also have the HF lift table (1k lb). The motor is on that now. It's all about positioning & taking your time. Completely agree with Garold and Injunmort.
I just had a "reassurance" strap holding the nose in place.
Dion
Lift/table cart
mlindner
Great pictures Dion, thanks. Mark
mepstein
I don't think the issue was removing my 4, I think it was installing my six. The 3.2 is just a lot heavier than the 4 so it's tippier off the front of the table. The 4 is better balanced with the trans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.