Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914 Grant steering wheel hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Localboy808
So. I've seen quite a few pictures with 914s running Grant steering wheels. I did some research. I ordered a wheel I liked and a 3565 hub adaptor. The problem I'm running into is the hub does not seat down far enough to engage the horn contact or blinker cancellation. What am I missing here? Anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks! Scott
TheCabinetmaker
As far as I know Grant quit making hub kits for for a 914 years ago.
Localboy808
The hub kit that I read people were using was this one. Intended for an early bug. But there was no mention of any problems with getting the horn or blinkers to work. There is a space about 2" between the hub and contacts for the horn. Maybe I need to find an old grant 914 hub? Always something! wink.gif Hoping someone has another solution to make this work.
dwillouby
Its been a few years but I believe I just used the hub from the 914 wheel and modified it to mount the Grant wheel. Works fine.

David
TheCabinetmaker
There is nothing on a stock hub to modify to attach a screw on steering wheel.
Pics please.
Localboy808
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Sep 8 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Its been a few years but I believe I just used the hub from the 914 wheel and modified it to mount the Grant wheel. Works fine.

David

Interesting David. I did look at the stock wheel while I was messing with it. Thought about trying to figure something like that out. But I was fixing multiple issues that I moved on to something more important. Any details on what you had to do to accomplish this? Anything you can remember would be helpful!

Thanks! Scott
jcd914
Do you know the Grant hub number for 914?
I have a couple of Grant hubs but they came with some Audi parts I have.
I could check the numbers but I don't know what you would need.

Jim

Localboy808
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 10 2016, 04:48 AM) *

Do you know the Grant hub number for 914?
I have a couple of Grant hubs but they came with some Audi parts I have.
I could check the numbers but I don't know what you would need.

Jim

I don't. I've searched around but haven't found it yet. Maybe someone here knows and will chime in. Thanks Jim.
MLedesma
Is this what you are looking for? The grant wheel I have is too small. I was going to go back to stock. This is on a 74 and the turn signals do cancel. What year is your car?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Localboy808
Looks like what I need. Mine is a 72. The Grant wheel I have mounts with three holes. I haven't had to deal with a lot of steering wheel changes so pardon my ignorance. Think it will work? How much do you want for it?

Thanks! Scott
MLedesma
I know there are differences in the early and late cars, but don't know the cutoff date. I have a 72 I can put it on to see f it works. Might take me a couple days.
Localboy808
QUOTE(MLedesma @ Sep 12 2016, 01:41 AM) *

I know there are differences in the early and late cars, but don't know the cutoff date. I have a 72 I can put it on to see f it works. Might take me a couple days.

Ok. If you don't mind doing that. Very nice of you. I am interested for sure. Take your time.
Localboy808
Also. I'm not sure if you know or not. But this is a technical note for the grant wheel I have. " A Grant Installation Kit is necessary to mount this wheel to a vehicle. This wheel will work with any Grant Standard 3000 or 4000 Series Installation Kits. It WILL NOT work with Grant Billet or Euro Installation Kits.". Wondering if that hub is a 3000 or 4000 series hub?
MLedesma
Okay, here is what I found out. It does fit on my 72 just like it did on the 74. It looks like the bottom portion of the hub is a stock 72 hub which has been drilled and tapped to allow machine screws to attach the Grant portion of the hub.

Check out the pictures and tell me what you think.

Matt

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Localboy808
Interesting mod. I can make that work. Looks like I'll have to return the wheel I have. Or maybe I can get it to fit that somehow. Let me know how much you want for it shipped to 93551. Thanks for your effort and trying to help out!

Scott
MLedesma
PM sent.
7TPorsh
Get a Momo hub and use an adapter: http://www.jegs.com/i/MOMO/682/GRANT/10002...9T3saAkmX8P8HAQ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.