Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invade One Lap of America 2017?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
My son and I are thinking about doing the One Lap of America next May? Anybody else considering it or interested? Wouldn't it be cool to show up with a half dozen or more 914s entered.

We have been talking about doing the race since he was old enough to watch the movie Cannonball Run (I think I showed it to him when he was 1). But, it is the first week of May, and when he turned 18 (old enough to enter) he went to college which has finals the first week of May. Since he decided to take the year off of college this year confused24.gif we might as well do something constructive.

_______

9/28/16 - Just an update. We are waiting to see the announced courses for 2017. I spoke with Brock today and they will be announced soon. Once we see the courses we can decide whether we think the type IV might be able to do it.

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive. Or do the One Lap event without the full track days. I am looking into that now.
GregAmy
Read up on this 2016 effort, and add yourself to their Facebook page:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=278089
tomeric914
Oh sure, now EVERYBODY wants to do it. blink.gif LOL

Would we do it again in a 914? Maybe, but with heat this time... or in a Cayman S.

Running a 914 set up for the track 2800+ miles for 8 days straight with all of your stuff jam packed into and onto the car is not a comfortable experience. It's loud for one. If one of your front tires isn't balanced well, it's annoying. You also need to pack and unpack your car roughly 16 times. Once at each hotel and once at each track.

What you will find though is the outpouring of support everywhere you go. From those on 914World who show up in the pouring rain just to meet and chat (Porschef and GregAmy meeting us at Palmer comes to mind, that alone was enough to lift our spirits on a cold and wet day) and nearly every competitor we met was willing to offer a hand to anyone in need.

Best bit of advice I can offer is to prepare your car so that it survives One Lap.
Cracker
Steve - Although it is admirable to want to do the OneLap in a 914 I too agree you'd be better off in a car suited for the program. I personally wouldn't want to subject that stress to my car - or my body. I DO think the idea of experiencing that with your son is fantastic...I get THAT. My son turns 18 in October. Good luck whatever you'all do.

Tony
rick 918-S
We have regularly run cross country is a 914 to events all over the US. I actually like Blasting across the US in a 914. Sandy and I drove from MN to Hershey P.A., stayed for the swap meet, got up early and hit the road for home. Same deal with Medford OR. event. That was a loooong haul... We would regularly drive over 1000 miles a day. Steve, We may have to think about this event.
Cupomeat
Tom and I are talking about next year already. The event is fantastic and most gear heads fantasies.
There were a few Father/Child teams who looked like they were having a great time.

I hope someday I can convince one of my daughters to do it with me.

Tom, did a great job outlining the thoughts about how to prep and how it is in a 914, but it is an experience you will never forget.

https://vimeo.com/182496686

I always say that if you say Yes, you may not have a good time, but if you say no, you'll never know if you will.

GOod luck and see you in South Bend Indiana, next year!
stevegm
The dates for next year's event are May 6th through the 13th.

Doing it in a 914 would be challenging. But, why not? You only live once. It would be great if we could get 2, 3, 4 or even more 914s together to do it. If a few 914s did it I would go for it. Otherwise, maybe we will take the Mini Cooper.

Over the past year or so I have had too much on my plate to do much well. I have started to clear things that don't really matter out to get my head back above water. And to make room to add this event. Also, we signed my son up for a driving school in November. To compete at the tracks a driver has to have 2 one-day driving schools under their belt, or 1 two-day school will work (we verified that with Brock Yates, Jr.). I may just let him drive at the tracks. I am more interested in the rest of the experience.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 7 2016, 04:54 PM) *

We have regularly run cross country is a 914 to events all over the US. I actually like Blasting across the US in a 914. Sandy and I drove from MN to Hershey P.A., stayed for the swap meet, got up early and hit the road for home. Same deal with Medford OR. event. That was a loooong haul... We would regularly drive over 1000 miles a day. Steve, We may have to think about this event.

agree.gif

We drive to events all the time... This year is Okteenerfest. 1014 miles one way. We will be doing it in 2 days. Normally we take both 914s, but mine is laid up getting the new engine.

If I were going to do this, I would consider a small trailer (unless they are against the rules ) to hold the tools and spares. Just unhitch and lock it up while on the track.
stevegm
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 17 2016, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 7 2016, 04:54 PM) *

agree.gif

We drive to events all the time... This year is Okteenerfest. 1014 miles one way. We will be doing it in 2 days. Normally we take both 914s, but mine is laid up getting the new engine.

If I were going to do this, I would consider a small trailer (unless they are against the rules ) to hold the tools and spares. Just unhitch and lock it up while on the track.

I believe trailers are allowed. We are just now starting to explore the rules. But, based on my reading you can do anything to your car along the way, as long as you are carrying whatever parts and tools you need. If I understand correctly, you can't stop and buy parts. So a small trailer carrying everything you might need(extra engine? :-) would be helpful. I would hate to go through all the trouble and expense of the thing, and then break down during the first few days.
ThePaintedMan
I would never trust my car, but I'd be happy/interested to ride/codrivr/wrench for someone if they needed it. piratenanner.gif
Cracker
Your examples of mileage coverage is like comparing a hot rod to a race car - worlds apart. Unless you are simply going through the motions at the competitions, the long-haul stories are not applicable. If not trying...then whats the point. Anyone can drive from point A to B - so long as they have a drivers license, vacation time and gas money.

I'd be interested in getting behind a car that is near the pointy in of a class...not a back-marker.

Tony
stevegm
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 17 2016, 04:33 PM) *

Your examples of mileage coverage is like comparing a hot rod to a race car - worlds apart. Unless you are simply going through the motions at the competitions, the long-haul stories are not applicable. If not trying...then whats the point. Anyone can drive from point A to B - so long as they have a drivers license, vacation time and gas money.

I'd be interested in getting behind a car that is near the pointy in of a class...not a back-marker.

Tony

I guess it depends on what your goals are. Mine is to do One Lap. I don't have a six figure car, and that is ok with me. I would have fun in a geo at the event. Doing it in our 4-cylinder 914 (a car I have been restoring with my son) would be icing on the cake, regardless of how we placed. I am sure other people on the forum could prep a car that would compete with the heavy hitters, and that is great. The more 914s, whether bone stock or full-on tube frame, the merrier, from my perspective.
Cracker
I can't disagree with you...I justcan't get excited either. Competition runs in my veins...changing the idea seeing a 914 = "seeing a slow car", is something I'm trying to change. All highly subjective - not really a wrong answer, just different.

I am contemplating the idea myself...

Tony

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 17 2016, 04:44 PM) *

Tony

I guess it depends on what your goals are. Mine is to do One Lap. I don't have a six figure car, and that is ok with me. I would have fun in a geo at the event. Doing it in our 4-cylinder 914 (a car I have been restoring with my son) would be icing on the cake, regardless of how we placed. I am sure other people on the forum could prep a car that would compete with the heavy hitters, and that is great. The more 914s, whether bone stock or full-on tube frame, the merrier, from my perspective.

stevegm
I get it. And I see your point about the 914. Our goal is to complete the event. Maybe win our class? This year, I will leave it to others to field the overall winning car. Maybe that will be you. piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 17 2016, 04:59 PM) *

I can't disagree with you...I justcan't get excited either. Competition runs in my veins...changing the idea seeing a 914 = "seeing a slow car", is something I'm trying to change. All highly subjective - not really a wrong answer, just different.

Tony

Tony

Cracker
Highly unlikely...I'm looking forward to meeting you next week.

Tony

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 17 2016, 05:10 PM) *

I get it. And I see your point about the 914. Our goal is to complete the event. Maybe win our class? This year, I will leave it to others to field the overall winning car. Maybe that will be you. piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 17 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Tony

Tony

914forme
It is on my radar but not for 2017 running. More than likely it will be the 2018 running IF if feel like I still want to do it. Been on the list for me for a long time. Many other cars more suited for the event, unless you are doing it for the shear enjoyment of doing the event.

this is part of the reason, my car has a trailer hitch. beerchug.gif
Cupomeat
Ok, so a couple things about one lap of america.

Even in Vintage foreign class, which is where you'd be. two of the three had 400hp V8s retro fit into older cars. Tom's 914-6 is pretty fast by normal standard, but we only got second because the 944 (with v8) had so many issues.

A goal of finishing is the right one to have for a 914.

Now, if you want to win, get a GTR or a 997/991 Turbo, GT3, GT4, Corvette Z06 etc. and leave it stock. The top three were a GTR, an ariel Atom (with a 300+hp motor) and a Mitsubishi Evo with a highly modified engine.

These three won because all the other faster entries didn't make it.

It is a great time. Trailer are allowed and you can fix anything along the way (but you need to run on the tires you started with).

DO it, but winning in a 914 is a big commitment as you better get 400hp in it, and learn all the tracks first.

See you there in 2017!!

Eric
stevegm
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 17 2016, 11:12 PM) *

Ok, so a couple things about one lap of america.

Even in Vintage foreign class, which is where you'd be. two of the three had 400hp V8s retro fit into older cars. Tom's 914-6 is pretty fast by normal standard, but we only got second because the 944 (with v8) had so many issues.

A goal of finishing is the right one to have for a 914.

Now, if you want to win, get a GTR or a 997/991 Turbo, GT3, GT4, Corvette Z06 etc. and leave it stock. The top three were a GTR, an ariel Atom (with a 300+hp motor) and a Mitsubishi Evo with a highly modified engine.

These three won because all the other faster entries didn't make it.

It is a great time. Trailer are allowed and you can fix anything along the way (but you need to run on the tires you started with).

DO it, but winning in a 914 is a big commitment as you better get 400hp in it, and learn all the tracks first.

See you there in 2017!!

Eric

I agree. Our goal is to finish. I had a brief conversation with Jake Raby about doing it in a 4-cylinder 914. He pointed out that we would need toughness more than power. Especially for the valve train.

Based you experience this year, do you think a 4-cylinder could do the tracks? The drive from track to track doesn't worry me much. It is the competition days that seem like they would take a toll on the car/engine.
tomeric914
Sure, you'll make it around the tracks with a 4 cylinder, but you'll likely be last unless someone else DNFs.

I think we surprised the crap out of everyone with the 914, but Eric's right. Unless you've got 400+ horsepower, don't expect to win your class. Vintage foreign wasn't vintage at all. The rules are, there are no rules, though you do need to run on the same set of tires you started with.

If you want to win your class, get a diesel.

You've got 3 laps to show everyone what you've got which isn't much for the car. Going from track to track WILL take a toll on you and the car. You won't have time to fix the car. Count on the weather being against you.

We appeared to have fun because we planned ahead. If you're going to do this, plan on finishing, not winning.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 12:01 AM) *

Based you experience this year, do you think a 4-cylinder could do the tracks? The drive from track to track doesn't worry me much. It is the competition days that seem like they would take a toll on the car/engine.

stevegm
Thanks for all of your feedback. It is very helpful. Finishing the event is our goal. I am a little concerned about the durability of the 4, though. I am going to look into whether a type IV (or any air-cooled VW has ever done the OLOA.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 08:08 AM) *

Sure, you'll make it around the tracks with a 4 cylinder, but you'll likely be last unless someone else DNFs.

I think we surprised the crap out of everyone with the 914, but Eric's right. Unless you've got 400+ horsepower, don't expect to win your class. Vintage foreign wasn't vintage at all. The rules are, there are no rules, though you do need to run on the same set of tires you started with.

If you want to win your class, get a diesel.

You've got 3 laps to show everyone what you've got which isn't much for the car. Going from track to track WILL take a toll on you and the car. You won't have time to fix the car. Count on the weather being against you.

We appeared to have fun because we planned ahead. If you're going to do this, plan on finishing, not winning.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 12:01 AM) *

tomeric914
The car has to be well sorted out regardless of the motor.

Would a Jake Raby built motor survive One Lap? Hell yeah. I've got a 2300 that Jake balanced for me 15+ years ago in my Bug. It is the smoothest running T4 I've ever had, doesn't leak a drop of oil and is rock solid.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 11:51 AM) *

Thanks for all of your feedback. It is very helpful. Finishing the event is our goal. I am a little concerned about the durability of the 4, though. I am going to look into whether a type IV (or any air-cooled VW has ever done the OLOA.

Cracker
Steve - A concern I'd have if I were you would be the gearing - at least fifth. If you don't have an "H" gear for the 901 - get one. If I had one in my stash I'd donate it - maybe someone else will for your cause. Cruising between venues without it could be hard on the valve train, ears, fuel, everything, etc. Just a thought - I didn't read the entries...if it has been mentioned, my apologies.

Tony
tomeric914
What did you say Tony? I can't hear you. agree.gif
tomeric914
1. You can repair the vehicle along the way either with parts you bring or parts you acquire locally. Good luck though because there is NO TIME to fix stuff unless you don't plan on sleeping. Oh, that reminds me, don't plan on sleeping.

The very first checkpoint was at a Harley Davidson dealer in Cleveland who was sponsoring the Brock Yates Tribute Fund for Alzheimers. The dealership let one of the entrants bring their vehicle into the shop, use the shop's tools and get the vehicle back on the road.

2. If you miss an event, you can still go on to the next event, but it's not likely because now instead of being 600 miles behind, you're 1200 miles behind. Again, don't plan on sleeping.

One Lap was no problem for me. Eric was thankful that I can function very well on little to no sleep.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *
From Steve's PM:

My main concern right now is durability. I have a couple questions that I don't seem to be able to get info on elsewhere:

1. You can repair the car along the way, right? Can you only use parts you carry with you? Or an you buy parts if you need them?

2. If you had to repair the car and miss a track event, can you still keep going to the next track event and carry on?
Cupomeat
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *

1. You can repair the vehicle along the way either with parts you bring or parts you acquire locally. Good luck though because there is NO TIME to fix stuff unless you don't plan on sleeping. Oh, that reminds me, don't plan on sleeping.

The very first checkpoint was at a Harley Davidson dealer in Cleveland who was sponsoring the Brock Yates Tribute Fund for Alzheimers. The dealership let one of the entrants bring their vehicle into the shop, use the shop's tools and get the vehicle back on the road.

2. If you miss an event, you can still go on to the next event, but it's not likely because now instead of being 600 miles behind, you're 1200 miles behind. Again, don't plan on sleeping.

One Lap was no problem for me. Eric was thankful that I can function very well on little to no sleep.

From Steve's PM:

My main concern right now is durability. I have a couple questions that I don't seem to be able to get info on elsewhere:

1. You can repair the car along the way, right? Can you only use parts you carry with you? Or an you buy parts if you need them?

2. If you had to repair the car and miss a track event, can you still keep going to the next track event and carry on?

SO True, We usually broke the nightly driving into 3 shifts. Tom drove the first shift until dinner or so. Then I drove until, say 10PM, then when I could not safely drive anymore, Tom took the last shift. He is impressively able to keep awake! A regular ironman.
If you are not one of the fastest, expect to get to your destination after midnight each night. (The fastest run first, and therefore leave first)

Now off to work on my Cayman driving.gif
Cracker
Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but at about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

I'm not worried about durability or reliability...more so, the comfort or lack there of, in a 46-year old car with no heat and a/c. I can fix the heat - I can't fix the A/C as easily.

I see a clear advantage to finishing strong each day and leaving early too. That can greatly influence your experience stretched out over a week. Thank you both for your insight.

As has been said before...time will tell.

Tony
tomeric914
You're right, what the fuck do I know? dry.gif

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/currentEven...e.do?eventId=36

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 18 2016, 01:49 PM) *

Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but Brock told me it was about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

stevegm
So an average of 437 miles per leg. I assume the track events occurred in the morning, and then you drove all afternoon/evening to the next day's track?

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:03 PM) *

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

Tom - Not trying to disagree with your numbers at all but Brock told me it was about 2850 miles total over 7 days of driving = 400 (+/-) miles a day (average). While still allot of ground to cover - 400 vs 600 is mathematically a huge difference. I like 400 better...

stevegm
Can other people help with repairs? In other words, if need be could a shop help or do a repair? Or a group of 914 buddies? IIRC, no chase vehicles or team support is allowed.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 12:43 PM) *

From Steve's PM:

Cracker
I actually don't know (what you know) but I do like the look of a 437 daily average vs 600 - thanks. That's more in-line with what I was told...a good friend of mine did the 2016 run too.

Tony

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:03 PM) *

First leg - 595 miles
Second leg - 557 miles
Third leg - 465 miles
Fourth leg - 603 miles
Fifth leg - 545 miles
Sixth leg - 191 miles
Seventh leg - 105 miles

tomeric914
Track events are morning and afternoon. Slower cars run later in the day. It'll be 4pm or 5pm before you get on the road.

Enough with the averages, you're disillusioning yourself. The majority of the legs were close to 600.

Brock Jr. said that he has shortened One Lap considerably compared to what it was in year's past to attract more people. Who knows what it will be this year.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:11 PM) *

So an average of 437 miles per leg. I assume the track events occurred in the morning, and then you drove all afternoon/evening to the next day's track?

tomeric914
That's correct, no chase vehicles or team support though Toyota's effort sure looked like a team to me.

The vehicle can be fixed along the way with what you buy or bring as long as it isn't a new set of tires. Time is of the essence though.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Can other people help with repairs? In other words, if need be could a shop help or do a repair? Or a group of 914 buddies? IIRC, no chase vehicles or team support is allowed.

stevegm
Ya, after those first 5 legs of about 600 miles each, I would imagine that two 200 mile legs are little comfort.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Track events are morning and afternoon. Slower cars run later in the day. It'll be 4pm or 5pm before you get on the road.

Enough with the averages, you're disillusioning yourself. The majority of the legs were close to 600.

Brock Jr. said that he has shortened One Lap considerably compared to what it was in year's past to attract more people. Who knows what it will be this year.

stevegm
I think we will be able to figure it out better once the route for next year is announced.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 18 2016, 02:43 PM) *

Ya, after those first 5 legs of about 600 miles each, I would imagine that two 200 mile legs are little comfort.

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Yes, they were great after you get through the tough stuff, But honestly, once we got rid of the 30deg and 40deg days with rain, everything else seemed like a comfort as my feet were COLD!! LOL

Also, the trip from Road America to Autobahn was broken up by the Drag Strip and the Brat Stop so it really seemed like a normal day of driving (except for some rush hour traffic we hit).

Keep thinking about it!
stevegm
I have lots of, and am going to have lots more, rudimentary tech questions. So I started a thread over in the race forum, so that I don't bog this thread down with dumb questions. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=294658
914forme
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 18 2016, 02:24 PM) *

That's correct, no chase vehicles or team support though Toyota's effort sure looked like a team to me.

I could see that, saw them rolling up 75 heading north to southbound, and though. Toyota Camery what a choice. All I could think of was Grass Roots Motorsports Camery and the i'll fated V6 engine.

Then to see a car full of people, and figured they had "factory" baking as TRD has places all over, an then the dealership support network behind them. It would be a lot easier to get a Toyota serviced than say a Porsche 914 poke.gif
stevegm
With all of the high-dollar cars in the OLOA these days, I was hoping that they had a class for relatively stock cars. And they do. Sorta. But, it seems more like an after thought. Clearly few cars enter in this class. And if they do, they aren't vintage cars.

This designation would require me to go back to fuel injection, which I fear would be much more difficult to diagnose and repair on the road than carbs, if need be.

13. Retro: Vehicles intended to reflect past trends or models, Minis, etc.

Note: Classification based on categories defined manufacturers' intent as determined by the organizers. These dollar amounts are reflective of 2016 dollars and should be adjusted for inflation for older vehicles, and used only as a guideline. Our main criteria is manufacturer intent, not the actual dollar value, as to what segment of the market in which the car designed to be sold.

In addition to the above classes, trophies will be awarded for the three highest placing Stock vehicles in two categories: GT (sports coupes) and Touring (sedans). In an event where an unmodified car is at often at a disadvantage, we will recognize those that are willing to compete with an unmolested vehicle. The class will be self-policing and all entrants must commit at the start. Wheels, tires and brake material are open, the rest of the car must remain stock. Teams committed to this class must be willing to provide reasonable access to others in the class for verification as requested. The organizer and staff will only be consulted for judgments when all other sources are exhausted and will be the final authority.

To be eligible for the "Stock" trophies, competitors must amend their vehicle description in the One Lap driver database by selecting the appropriate "stock" designation. Non-stock safety equipment must be approved by the organizer to balance safety and the intent of the class.

Again, the "Stock" trophies will be in addition to the normal class structure, not a stand-only class.
stevegm
Just an update. We are waiting to see the announced courses for 2017. I spoke with Brock today and they will be announced soon. Once we see the courses we can decide whether we think the type IV might be able to do it.

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive. Or do the One Lap event without the full track days. I am looking into that now.
Garland

Another idea has come up - if we don't do the official One Lap event, we could get some 914s together to create our own one lap of America-style drive.

agree.gif
worn
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 6 2016, 10:53 AM) *

My son and I are thinking about doing the One Lap of America next May? Anybody else considering it or interested? Wouldn't it be cool to show up with a half dozen or more 914s entered.

Could be big fun. I did a 10 day, 4,000 mile drive in mine this year. There were hiccups but I won't forget it. Take the Cayman though for comfort and possibly peace of mind. Also, you have a hard time talking in my car at speed cause the engine and wind and rates are just too loud.
I would be willing to do part of a relay.
Cracker
Steve - Based upon your earlier posts, I get that you don't care much or at all about the competition side of OLAM (and that is clearly ok). However, if you eliminate the "full track days" from an event like One Lap, you have an extended "Okteenerfest" rally instead - not a variation of OLAM. You know this, of course, but just pointing out the obvious.

It still could be fun, for the right folks, but the in-between-travel (tracks) is what I find the least interesting. I hope you and your son can find a way to participate in the actual One Lap - it would be an experience you both would never forget I'm sure.

Tony

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 28 2016, 01:54 PM) *

stevegm
I agree. We are just looking at all of the options to include as many people as possible. One Lap would be great. It has become a high dollar competition that seems to exclude a lot of people, from a practical standpoint, though. We will see what the options are after they release the courses on the 2017 event.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 29 2016, 07:50 AM) *

Steve - Based upon your earlier posts, I get that you don't care much or at all about the competition side of OLAM (and that is clearly ok). However, if you eliminate the "full track days" from an event like One Lap, you have an extended "Okteenerfest" rally instead - not a variation of OLAM. You know this, of course, but just pointing out the obvious.

It still could be fun, for the right folks, but the in-between-travel (tracks) is what I find the least interesting. I hope you and your son can find a way to participate in the actual One Lap - it would be an experience you both would never forget I'm sure.

Tony

stevegm
I have been thinking about your post all day. You are totally right - we have been waiting to do the "actual" One Lap for a decade or more. Anything else will leave us feeling like we cheated ourselves. I think we are almost ready to commit. Hopefully other 914s will join us.

So we are just waiting on the courses to be announced. I spoke with Steve Limbert today about the type IV motor and valve train durability. We are working on ideas with that.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 29 2016, 07:50 AM) *

Tony

stevegm
With the passing of Brock Yates it will make the 2017 One Lap even more special. No announced route yet. But, we hear it is a southern route this year. It sounds like this is our year to do it.
stevegm
Since Brock Yates passed away a few weeks ago, I think it has delayed them on releasing the specific venues a little.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if a trailer is necessary. Your only allowed 1 spare tire (if the front and rear tire sizes are the same), and that can go in the front trunk. As far as I can list, there just aren't that many spare parts to take:

1 clutch
1 fan belt
1 brake pads
1 relay board
1 gas pedal
1 clutch cable
1 throttle cable
1 clutch cable Clevis
2 motor mounts
1 Can of air spray (for vapor lock)
Brake fluid
Tools
Flashlights
Tie wraps
Grease
4 jack stands?
Jack

I am sure I am missing some extra parts we will want to take. But, all in all, it doesn't seem like there will be as many spares needed as I initially thought.

If we put this stuff in duffle bags we should be able to fit it in the front and rear trunks. Then we can put our clothes in 2 duffles bags and put them on a rear trunk rack (I have an extra trunk lid that has already been drilled for the luggage rack).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.