Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
Does anybody know of a Canadian source for distributor cap, rotor, points... ?

I tried sourcing some at FLAPS, but whatever they gave me doesn't actually fit.
patrick3000
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Sep 6 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Does anybody know of a Canadian source for distributor cap, rotor, points... ?

I tried sourcing some at FLAPS, but whatever they gave me doesn't actually fit.

Which distributor are you looking for?
mobymutt

Which distributor are you looking for?

I'm just looking for the cap and rotor. The cap I believe is Bosch 9231081413.
cwpeden
I go to the 'vintage' expert at my local VW dealership
914Sixer
Cip1 is in Canada.
cwpeden
Mark Henry may know. Port Hope isn't far from Kitchener
mobymutt
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 6 2016, 08:57 PM) *

I go to the 'vintage' expert at my local VW dealership

I just called my local dealership, but they refuse to even try to help me unless I have actual Volkwagen part numbers.

Any idea where I could look those up?
MikeM
Try autopartsway.ca
Mark Henry
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 6 2016, 09:24 PM) *

Mark Henry may know. Port Hope isn't far from Kitchener

Kitchener is still a fair distance and if you're going to mobymutt's place (Kingston) it's about a 4+ hour round trip in the wrong direction wink.gif

Sometimes I have them in stock, but cip1.ca has them, the cap,rotor points etc are all Bay window bus (T4) parts.
The only caveat is their cheap stuff is often junk, try to get the name brand stuff.

Spend $100 and it's free ground shipping, about 7 days. The mid level shipping is a total waste of money, FedEx is spendy but you will have the part in your hands next day.
mobymutt

Sometimes I have them in stock, but cip1.ca has them, the cap,rotor points etc are all Bay window bus (T4) parts.
The only caveat is their cheap stuff is often junk, try to get the name brand stuff.

Spend $100 and it's free ground shipping, about 7 days. The mid level shipping is a total waste of money, FedEx is spendy but you will have the part in your hands next day.

Mark, save me, I'm going crazy!

Apparently I have the 'rare' Bosch 050 distributor (full p/n 9 230 081 050). Even cip1 has no cap or rotor that fits for sure.

It seems that maybe I should just get a whole new distributor, and get rid of the points at the same time. Know of any one in particular that will work? I have weber IDF 40 carbs.

Somebody just told me I can clean the green crap off the cap and it will work again, so I guess I'll try that next...
brant
the 050 is a great carb distributor.
I didn't know the parts were NLA
there must be 1million of them on VW's out there
there should be a resource (even if reproductions)
I'm sorry I don't know what the resource is

if you do switch to a different distributor entirely.... keep me in mind for buying the old one off of you...

with such large numbers produced, there will likely be a solution to reproductions in the future... of course that doesn't help you today

brant
Mark Henry
Distributor: Bosch 9230 081 050
Condenser: 9231 081 465 (Can use 02 086)
Rotor: 9231 081 628
Cap: 9 231 081 413
Coil: 6 Volt - 00 016, 12 Volt - 00 012

The 050 is semi rare, hasn't been made since the 70's, but it's still sort of sought after by the T1 VW go fast crowd.
They can suffer from bad bushings, check for play in the shaft.

What are you running carbs or L-jet?
Carbs you might be able to keep it, L-jet I'd get a bosch 205 from a 914 or late bay bus.
Personally I like the mallory red cap way better than the 050 or the 009.
If you're on a budget, in the past I've taken an old mallory red cap dual point and modified it with a pertronix.

mobymutt
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 7 2016, 04:52 PM) *

Rotor: 9231 081 628
Cap: 9 231 081 413

Your forgot to tell me where to get those! cip1 doesn't carry them.

i'm running carbs. Just rebuilt them. Drove for about 2 km, and now I have no spark. I get spark out of the wire going from the coil to the distributor, but no spark at the plugs.

mobymutt
I just tried cleaning off the corrosion, but still no worky. Shaft play seems fine.
Mark Henry
I likely have the rotor, maybe the correct points and/or condenser (would have to check to see), but I for sure don't have the cap.

The same Pertronix 1847A Ignitor for the 914 stock dizzy's is the same for the 009 and 050 Distributors.

I've used aircooled.net many times in the past, good company.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bosch-Distrib.../9231081413.htm
They also have the rotor, points and condenser.

Some other sources I saw doing a google search.
http://www.allzim.com/store/050-distributo...it-356-912.html

http://www.oscaroparts.com/bosch-distribut...3-935843-7120-p
mobymutt
Thanks Mark, and everyone else too!
mobymutt
As an update, I was able to get a new rotor and cap from Mike's 914 nearby in Colborne.

And... it runs!

If only I knew how to upload videos!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.