Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971, 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
I'm going to attempt my first valve adjustment on my 914. I use to do my 68 Type 3 square back with no problems. So tonight it goes up on the ramps, then tomorrow i'll take on the challenge. I just hope I can get my hands and body in the right position.
7TPorsh
I just did my first valve job on my 1.7 this last weekend. It's tight down there under ramps. I'm 6'4 225 and I managed. I'm going to have to do it again because something is still off....I rushed through it I think.

I have a header so wasn't too hard but I think with the full heater setup it's a bit more work.

I suggest the following along with any other tips you read about:
- Take your time
- Use the Kap'n method
- Cold engine
- Get the orientation of the cylinder order correct...when your backwards and upside down things get mixed up...know which is 1-2-3-4
- make sure you hit Top Dead Center on the correct cylinder
- the longer the feeler gauge the better
- Take your time
- Don't mix up intake and exhaust if using Kap'n method
- Take your time; double check every adjustment
- Have new cover seals handy

cpavlenko
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 7 2016, 08:16 AM) *

I just did my first valve job on my 1.7 this last weekend. It's tight down there under ramps. I'm 6'4 225 and I managed. I'm going to have to do it again because something is still off....I rushed through it I think.

I have a header so wasn't too hard but I think with the full heater setup it's a bit more work.

I suggest the following along with any other tips you read about:
- Take your time
- Use the Kap'n method
- Cold engine
- Get the orientation of the cylinder order correct...when your backwards and upside down things get mixed up...know which is 1-2-3-4
- make sure you hit Top Dead Center on the correct cylinder
- the longer the feeler gauge the better
- Take your time
- Don't mix up intake and exhaust if using Kap'n method
- Take your time; double check every adjustment
- Have new cover seals handy

Thanks, and the 1.7 is .006 for both...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.