Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High HP axel and cv joint options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
Whats a strong setup for a wrx trans and 914 trailing arms. I know this is heavily discussed in the past but i need to know so i can stop wasting money. my last axels were a 914 outer Subaru inner with 914 axel but I destroyed the Subaru cv after a lil over 200hp on the dyno.can i buy stronger cv joints or do i have to peice a bunch of crap together
cali914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 7 2016, 10:19 PM) *

Whats a strong setup for a wrx trans and 914 trailing arms. I know this is heavily discussed in the past but i need to know so i can stop wasting money. my last axels were a 914 outer Subaru inner with 914 axel but I destroyed the Subaru cv after a lil over 200hp on the dyno.can i buy stronger cv joints or do i have to peice a bunch of crap together

Go to 100mm cv joints early 911 and sway away axles. You could go 110 cvs but probably to heavy.
tazz9924
QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 7 2016, 11:35 PM) *

Go to 100mm cv joints early 911 and sway away axles. You could go 110 cvs but probably to heavy.

do these fit the wheel flange of a 4 lug
mepstein
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 8 2016, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 7 2016, 11:35 PM) *

do these fit the wheel flange of a 4 lug

No. Talk to chris at tangerine racing. He might have something for four lug hubs
KELTY360
Keep in mind that the CV is a weak link, like a fuse. If you make the joint too stout it may just serve to over stress a more expensive link in the drive train.
jcd914
If it was the inner Subaru joint that failed, changing the outer 914 joint does nothing to correct for you current failure.

I had the impression that the Subaru joints were stout and not likely to fail, especially before the 914 joint. If that is the case maybe your Subaru joint just died a natural death from age and wear and all you really need is a new Subaru CV.

I know nothing of the Subaru CV available or if there are stronger one out there.

Jim
Mike Bellis
Buy these and never buy another CV. Stop playing with little kid parts... biggrin.gif

http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-deta...px?sku=301174CC

I run these, to do so you need sliding axles. But they allow up to 40° of articulation and are good to around 2000hp. happy11.gif

http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-deta...spx?sku=SI-15RF
Chris H.
YOu need to take that CV joint apart and see what happened. Post pics.
Cracker
Mike - That's what I call OVERKILL...I like it - nice looking CV.

Tony

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 8 2016, 09:10 PM) *

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 8 2016, 06:29 PM) *

Tony

My CV's will never break. Everything else will... sad.gif
Cracker
That's a true statement with those...

T

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 8 2016, 09:31 PM) *

Tony

My CV's will never break. Everything else will... sad.gif

speed metal army
I bought the RH ones... I think they are bus cv's? Seem pretty tough so far.
Mikes solution is a sweet one! I want these for my Boxster S transaxle conversion!
tazz9924

Tony

That cv joint is awesome idea.gif maybe one day
tazz9924
Ok so the cv ended up eating the c clip and getting stuck in an extended position so maybe the axel is too short? i only bring up the inner because i dont want it to fail under 250hp but maybe that will come when my 5 lug conversion does. As for the Subaru cv now that ive replaced it ill drive on it and see what happens.
Andyrew
Your not making enough power to break those axles. If you replaced with new I bet you would be just fine. Old axles break, thats just what they do!

Jack up the car and compress the suspension, Is there slack in the CV's (Can you move the axle back and forth? on both conditions? If not then yes your axles are too short. Conversely if they are parallel with the ground and they dont move they are too long.
jmmotorsports
i am useing 944 cv's in my ls1 car no problems

jerry
Andyrew
944s are plenty strong as well. 944 turbo guys dont upgrade their axles when running big power. They are essentially the same axles as the Bus cv joints.

tazz9924
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 9 2016, 12:20 PM) *

944s are plenty strong as well. 944 turbo guys dont upgrade their axles when running big power. They are essentially the same axles as the Bus cv joints.

Ive come to the conclusion my driver side axel is too short at 17 3/4" with a subaru trans but how do i tell how long it will need to be extended
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 9 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Ive come to the conclusion my driver side axel is too short at 17 3/4" with a subaru trans but how do i tell how long it will need to be extended

Check out this site and these grease rings. You can put one on the CV and gain 7/16" in effective axle length. Just remove the zerk, cap the hole and place between CV and wheel stub. This site also has a page telling how to measure axle length.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/grease-rings.html
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 9 2016, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 9 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Check out this site and these grease rings. You can put one on the CV and gain 7/16" in effective axle length. Just remove the zerk, cap the hole and place between CV and wheel stub. This site also has a page telling how to measure axle length.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/grease-rings.html

I use one of these rings with 4 magnets inset to drive my speedometer for my 6 speed. You just need slightly longer axle bolts. Best prices for those is boltdepot.com
Cracker
Can you believe...after commenting on this thread, I blew my first CV!!! The worst part was to be my 17-year old son's first time on the track with hot laps (all weekend). Bummed for him - 3 laps into the weekend, kaboom!

Confession: I have done three burnouts in the last couple months - most recently with a member here visiting Atlanta last week. Words to the wise - if you want your drive-train to survive with 600 hp - do not shock load it. I know better and I paid a high price. Out of state, entire family, motorhome, etc. 3 laps (one of those was a warm up)!

I have it on video and will share if I can edit it down...

Tony
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 10 2016, 07:13 PM) *

Can you believe...after commenting on this thread, I blew my first CV!!! Unfortunately, it was my 17 year old son's first time on the track with hot laps - 3 laps into the weekend!

Confession: I have done three burnouts in the last couple months - most recently with a member here visiting Atlanta last week. Words to the wise - if you want your drive-train to survive with 600 hp - do not shock load it. I know better and I paid a high price. Out of state, entire family, motorhome, etc. 3 laps (one of those was a warm up)!

Tony

I can recommend come CV's for you... poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 9 2016, 11:20 AM) *

Ok so the cv ended up eating the c clip and getting stuck in an extended position so maybe the axel is too short? i only bring up the inner because i dont want it to fail under 250hp but maybe that will come when my 5 lug conversion does. As for the Subaru cv now that ive replaced it ill drive on it and see what happens.

There are in situ Subaru's running around with very-big HP and torque numbers. They aren't grenading CV joints. Yours were probably just miled out...
flmont
Being that I will be installing a suby 3.3 starting very soon,..I need a good axle set up,..iam using the 901 tranny with 4 bolt axel for now, what off the shelf set-up should I buy,.?? Thanks..Hope I didnt Hi-jack this thread.. Thanks Frank
rnellums
The c clips pop out pretty easily if the axles are in the wrong spot (I had two fail on the way to RRC). Are you running Coldwater axles? I have found that you need to find a way to keep them from sliding too far outward or that happens.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 10 2016, 07:13 PM) *

Can you believe...after commenting on this thread, I blew my first CV!!! The worst part was to be my 17-year old son's first time on the track with hot laps (all weekend). Bummed for him - 3 laps into the weekend, kaboom!

I have it on video and will share if I can edit it down...

Tony

famn what is it with 17 yearolds and cv joints ive broke two in three days lol
tazz9924
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 10 2016, 10:10 PM) *

The c clips pop out pretty easily if the axles are in the wrong spot (I had two fail on the way to RRC). Are you running Coldwater axles? I have found that you need to find a way to keep them from sliding too far outward or that happens.

no custom made ones definitely too short
rnellums
18" is probably about the shortest you can do.
1stworks
I run custom axles from local cv shop with 930 cv's.
They shaved the cages smooth and upgraded balls and grease.
Zero problems on Ls1 boxster s trans.
Cracker
CVJ axles by any chance? Mine were 930's; race prepped and ARE taking ALLOT of abuse. Loads of torque (slicks, hooking up, downforce, blah, blah, blah, boom)! These would have lasted a decade or more in a hot-rod...

Makes it a pressure cooker to get to Okteenerfest now! w00t.gif

Tony

Failure on video...it could have been much worse (wall, pit, another car, etc)! I was very fortunate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbqbYF30D7g

QUOTE(1stworks @ Sep 11 2016, 09:34 AM) *

tazz9924
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 10 2016, 10:26 PM) *

mine are 17.75 rn I figured I should get .5" longer ones but is there a good way of knowing for sure
Cracker
With the suspension loaded...you want 3/4"-1" of "play/travel" in and out - to be safe.

Tony

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 11 2016, 01:45 PM) *

mine are 17.75 rn I figured I should get .5" longer ones but is there a good way of knowing for sure

Andyrew
QUOTE(1stworks @ Sep 11 2016, 06:34 AM) *

They shaved the cages smooth and upgraded balls and grease.
Zero problems on Ls1 boxster s trans.

Interesting modifications. Makes sense.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 11 2016, 01:21 PM) *

With the suspension loaded...you want 3/4"-1" of "play/travel" in and out - to be safe.

Tony

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 11 2016, 01:45 PM) *

thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.