914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
Looks like a large size allen wrench. TIA
CMONNETT
17mm
cary
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Sep 8 2016, 06:39 AM) *

17mm

What he said. Bug shop or import auto parts house will have a reasonably priced one.
JawjaPorsche
Some people on this forum has mention this before. Make sure you remove the top plug first because if you can't and you drain the gear oil, you might be screwed.
craig downs
If you don't want to get a allen wrench I've taken a bolt that takes a 17mm wrench and used vise grips to remove it.
steuspeed
Someone used an air wrench on mine. It took a breaker bar to get it off. Check the spec. The torque should not be high on the plug.
toolguy
As with most pipe plugs, it is a tapered thread plug. . If you overtighten, it acts as a wedge and the internal force can crack the trans casting in extreme cases. .

Harbor Freight has an allen metric socket set for $13.99 that included an 17mm. .
Use their 20% and get it for $11
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-38-an...-set-67880.html
stugray
Use one of your lug bolts in a pair of vise grips if you don't feel like buying the big honking allen wrench.
zambezi
lug bolts are usually 19mm.
poorsche914
VW lug bolts are 17.

driving.gif
Dave_Darling
The original lug bolts were 19mm. Some of the common replacement ones are 17mm. I do not recommend using a bolt as an Allen wrench. Just get the right tool; it isn't that expensive.

--DD
mjrrti
I bought a tool from Pelican Parts that works great. I tried the bolt method but my plug was so tight I couldn't get it to budge. The tool fits a 3/8 drive breaker bar or ratchet and with a breaker bar mine came out pretty easy. Pelican part #
005773-0-m84. Good luck.
stugray
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 8 2016, 09:41 PM) *

The original lug bolts were 19mm. Some of the common replacement ones are 17mm. I do not recommend using a bolt as an Allen wrench. Just get the right tool; it isn't that expensive.

--DD

OR - You COULD use a bolt.
Costs almost nothing, is smaller than the big allen, and weighs less for the track tool kit, and works perfectly:
IPB Image

I actually bought this one at a FLAPS just for this purpose.
It was like $1.50 while the 17mm Allen socket was like $20.
Mark Henry
Any AC VW bug shop will have one and they are cheap.
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?sea...w=25&page=1

I replaced mine with plugs from a 901/911 tranny, they have a standard 17mm bolt head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.