Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pictures or video of installing relocating fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Hey guys, I got my fuel pump kit for relocating it up to the front of the car but the instructions are not the best in the world. No pictures. Do any of you that have done this have any pictures or videos while doing the process? I tried youtube and google searches and came up with nothing. Thanks in advance!
JawjaPorsche
Much easier to locate to engine firewall than front.

Discussed yesterday on this forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=293742
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 8 2016, 10:45 AM) *

But that's not going to move the FP out of the engine bay heat, which causes the vapor lock & the main reason to move them at all, which was why Porsche came up with the 70-74 MY service bulletin to put it behind the steering rach on the front bulkhead below the fuel tank.

It's really no harder to do it there, especially with the repro Porsche Service Bulletin Parts Kit.

IMHO - do the move up front as per the SB.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 8 2016, 08:30 AM) *

Hey guys, I got my fuel pump kit for relocating it up to the front of the car but the instructions are not the best in the world. No pictures. Do any of you that have done this have any pictures or videos while doing the process? I tried youtube and google searches and came up with nothing. Thanks in advance!

I don't have pix of the process, & mine was done by my factory trained 914 guy in 77 per the factory Service Bulletin.

Assuming yours is the Auto Atlanta kit, shoot an email to George Hussey there, & ask if he has any pix of the install.

I have a couple of pix of mine as installed just to the right of the center tunnel portal where the fuel lines daylight, so PM me if you want me to post them on here. But I have nothing from the install process in 1977.

As I said in the post above - put it in the front to resolve any heat caused vapor lock problems.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 8 2016, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 8 2016, 10:45 AM) *

But that's not going to move the FP out of the engine bay heat, which causes the vapor lock & the main reason to move them at all, which was why Porsche came up with the 70-74 MY service bulletin to put it behind the steering rach on the front bulkhead below the fuel tank.

It's really no harder to do it there, especially with the repro Porsche Service Bulletin Parts Kit.

IMHO - do the move up front as per the SB.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom

I moved mine to engine firewall over twenty years ago and I have not have one vapor lock issue since. I used to have vapor lock almost daily and several pump failures because of the heat. I live in the south where it really gets hot too.

Plus much easier to change fuel filter too.

Just giving another option.
TheCabinetmaker
I too moved my 73 pump to the front in the late seventies. However, I think the firewall location might be ok. The culprit is the heat exchanger dumping hot air directly on the pump. Like, 2 inches away, and it was tucked under the engine shelf. My only concern about the firewall location would be it being susceptible to road debris.
914_teener
agree.gif

It is more work to move it to the front.

surfdogskier
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 8 2016, 01:59 PM) *

I don't have pix of the process, & mine was done by my factory trained 914 guy in 77 per the factory Service Bulletin.

Assuming yours is the Auto Atlanta kit, shoot an email to George Hussey there, & ask if he has any pix of the install.

I have a couple of pix of mine as installed just to the right of the center tunnel portal where the fuel lines daylight, so PM me if you want me to post them on here. But I have nothing from the install process in 1977.

As I said in the post above - put it in the front to resolve any heat caused vapor lock problems.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I did get mine from Auto Atlanta so I will shoot him an email....Thanks!
porschetub
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 9 2016, 05:59 AM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Good points Tom,moving to the front to avoid vapor-lock wasn't the only reason IMO they also did it to make the pump work better,these pumps (rotary) are much better @ pushing fuel than sucking it.
I know folks on here have relocated to the lower part of the firewall with good results but its not a 100% solution.
I choose to mount my pump under my tank on the front cross member,no long fuel lines to deal with and the filter is pretty easy to change,i like the idea of the pump having a "head" of fuel on it at all times also.
surfdogskier
For those of you that have done the relocation, did you have to remove the gas tank? The instructions say to just empty it. I assume doing that by sifoning it out. The instructions didn't say.
87m491
Depends I guess on which side of the front "firewall" you mount it to? Some put it in the steering rack compartment under the car away from the tank. Mine is mounted below the tank in the valley between the pass compartment bulk head and the rear of the front trunk. Obviously there, the tank had to come out. I siphoned, but some use the pump to pump it out or just run it low and tilt at the proper angles when removing so gas wont flow out of the ports.

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 8 2016, 08:06 PM) *

For those of you that have done the relocation, did you have to remove the gas tank? The instructions say to just empty it. I assume doing that by sifoning it out. The instructions didn't say.

surfdogskier
QUOTE(87m491 @ Sep 9 2016, 08:57 AM) *

Depends I guess on which side of the front "firewall" you mount it to? Some put it in the steering rack compartment under the car away from the tank. Mine is mounted below the tank in the valley between the pass compartment bulk head and the rear of the front trunk. Obviously there, the tank had to come out. I siphoned, but some use the pump to pump it out or just run it low and tilt at the proper angles when removing so gas wont flow out of the ports.

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 8 2016, 08:06 PM) *

Thank you for the input. I will probably put mine under the tank as well. Did you run the red striped black wire from the regulator plate over to it or did you just spice into that wire for the fuel relay and use the car frame as a ground?

I having to do all this because the area in the back where my fuel pump suppose to be located was rusted out and someone did a crappy job at fiberglassing it back. Yet another project to fix that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.