Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tanks on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
Porsche 914 914-6 Vellios Aluminum Oil Tank 2 pieces

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112103681260?euid=...p;sojTags=bu=bu
GeorgeRud
Even if you have the ability to do the finish maching and welding abilities to finish these, Vellios' oil tanks were reportedly quite porous and prone to leaking.

The same fellow has a bunch of 915 and 930 transmission conversion parts for sale, but they also require finish machining.
Root_Werks
The early tanks had casting issues. I had a few with tiny, and I mean tiny "holes" in the casting. It drove me nuts trying to figure out where an oil leak was coming from. Easy fix once found.

The later tanks were actually pretty nice. They used AN fittings, no oil filter console needed etc. Perfect for 914-6 conversions.
mb911
I actually bought one of those just to have. Was looking at casting some with improvements.. My completed fabricated ones are better and lighter and larger then those tanks anyhow.. Though more expensive..
Mueller
hmmmm, any money to be made by offering to machine and weld some up? smash.gif welder.gif smile.gif
mb911
Thought about that as well
mb911
To be honest even my tanks which are priced 200 below anyone else just don't sell like hot cakes more like locally grown honey.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 9 2016, 11:52 AM) *

The early tanks had casting issues. I had a few with tiny, and I mean tiny "holes" in the casting. It drove me nuts trying to figure out where an oil leak was coming from. Easy fix once found.

The later tanks were actually pretty nice. They used AN fittings, no oil filter console needed etc. Perfect for 914-6 conversions.

I'd wonder if those were QC rejects.
You need to machine them (taps will run you almost $100), finish the screen and return tube, try to fix any leaks and then tig them together. A lot of work for little savings.
Harpo
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 9 2016, 09:04 AM) *

hmmmm, any money to be made by offering to machine and weld some up? smash.gif welder.gif smile.gif

That would be awesome if someone was to offer this service. I would probably buy one just in case.

David

[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Sep 9 2016, 03:18 PM' post='2396162']
[quote name='Root_Werks' post='2396001' date='Sep 9 2016, 11:52 AM']

[/quote]

I'd wonder if those were QC rejects.
You need to machine them (taps will run you almost $100), finish the screen and return tube, try to fix any leaks and then tig them together. A lot of work for little savings.
[/quote

I used to talk to George about his 916 / 915 conversions.
During all those conversations, he never made any comments about "rejects" he had on hand

If he did, I'm sure it would have popped up.
All these "surplus " 915 / 916 conversion parts & oil tank were simply that. Oh yaaaa, he built my 915 / 916 tranny for me back in the day - still running strong too.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 9 2016, 01:03 PM) *

To be honest even my tanks which are priced 200 below anyone else just don't sell like hot cakes more like locally grown honey.

You will probably have better luck with the heat exchangers. All about supply, demand and competition.
bretth
Seem strange to make them from cast AL. They must be heavy.

Brett
mb911
Just suprised that being I have done all the work and developed lighter and larger tanks that we are even having the conversation.. I will look at what my cast tank I bought from him looks like.. I use it as a drilling guide.
Steve
I don't think he sold that many tanks. He was mostly known for his 916 kits. Wevo put an end to that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.