Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 914 Flat Tow Bracket - NEW!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Pages: 1, 2
914werke
Its Back! aktion035.gif

914werke
smile.gif
DRPHIL914
I am interested in getting one of these, but what type of tow bar do you use for the rest of it? I had a Blue Ox tow bar we used for towing our truck behind a RV- would it be some thing like that?
914werke
I believe so. Also available from Draw Tite, Reese & others.

Example:
Lucky9146
You show a picture of the bar but a picture of it actually mounted on a 914 might really help! Interested.
white914.jpg
914werke
Ya its been on my list ... will work on that directly.
pilothyer
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 4 2018, 10:01 AM) *

aktion035.gif

How, Exactly, does it attach to the car ?????
914werke
Like this
914werke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 5 2018, 05:57 AM) *

I'm shocked it's still available. I assumed Featured Items sold fast!

biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif They typically do. This is into my 2nd run of these.
I never expected this to be a huge sell'er. The rub is as the cars become more valuable
more folks are trailering thier 914's sunglasses.gif
Boomingbeetle
PM Sent
914werke
WCR is fast approaching smile.gif
If you are planing on towing ....here's a option!
jkb944t
How well does it tow using this method? Do you leave the car in neutral and leave the steering wheel unlocked so it finds its center?

Jeff B
914werke
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Apr 24 2018, 05:13 AM) *
How well does it tow using this method? Do you leave the car in neutral and leave the steering wheel unlocked so it finds its center? Jeff B

You got it. I logged a LOT of miles with various 914's flat towing.
Pulling with everything from a Ranger to an RV. Current tow rig is a 05 F150 smile.gif
No Problems.
strawman
What are the three bolts on each side for? And how much shipped to 93401?
914werke
Those are the included mounting hardware.
Due to the added dimension of the bracket the bolts need to be longer + the front mount.
There are mounts welded to the bracket so the bolts & spacer don't get lost when not in use.
smile.gif
loux951
Will it clear a standard front valance? If you can send/post a pic of one on a car with the standard valance you will have yourself a quick sale!

aktion035.gif
914werke
If you are asking if you can tow with the OE valance in place, Sorry you can not.
Because the orig. standard valance curves back under the car it actually covers the the suspension pickup points where he bracket mounts.

I had been playing with a way to more easily remove & reinstall any valance.
You have to unscrew 6 fasteners (4 in the Frunk 2 in the wheel wheels) the screws in the front trunk are easy and Dzus fasteners work perfectly there , but the two 8mm bolts that retain the far ends of the valance are tougher as there is very little room there for a quick release mechanism. I currently have a pair of cleco's in those spots which work but dont have the positive locking or small /low profile Im after.
loux951
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 25 2018, 07:26 AM) *

If you are asking if you can tow with the OE valance in place, Sorry it will not.
Because the orig. standard valance curves back under the car it actually covers the the suspension pickup points where he bracket mounts.

I had been playing with a way to more easily remove & reinstall any valance.
You have to unscrew 6 fasteners (4 in the Frunk 2 in the wheel wheels) the screws in the front trunk are easy and Dzus fasteners work perfectly there , but the two 6mm screws that retain the far ends of the valance are tougher as there is very little room there for a quick release mechanism. I currently have a pair of cleco's in those spots which work but dont have the positive locking or small /low profile Im after.

Darn it...that thing is awesome. Time to start looking for an aftermarket front valance!
914Toy
PM sent.
a9146luvr
did this ever sell?
914werke
QUOTE(a9146luvr @ Jun 26 2018, 10:08 PM) *
did this ever sell?
Did what sell, a tow bracket? Many!!
LMK if you need one smile.gif
AnthonyM
Rich,

Just received the tow bracket and it looks great!

Thanks,
Anthony
914rrr
Here's a photo of his flat tow bracket in action. I used it to tow my Turbo'd 914 from Phoenix back to TN with my Passat TDI years ago.

Great (fast) trip, other than hitting a huge skunk on the way home, LOL. icon8.gif The most fun was the double takes when we passed folks on the interstate...and then they saw the Passat was towing a 914!!! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Can a 914 tow another 914 with this hitch? Anyone's estimate of how much weight a 914 can tow?

@914werke
914werke
Ive never tried as I honestly never owned a 914 that was equipped with a hitch setup but my guess is it could with a little effort.
The wimpiest rig Ive flat towed a 914 behind is a 2.0l Ranger 5 speed - gutless!
but handled it with little drama
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 22 2019, 04:10 PM) *

Can a 914 tow another 914 with this hitch? Anyone's estimate of how much weight a 914 can tow?

@914werke

The metal on a 914 is so thin. It's one thing to pull it by it's suspension points. I would never try to pull a 914 with a 914. Even if you could get it moving, you would be doubling what the brakes need to handle.
sixnotfour
they both have to be running with drivers.... idea.gif
strawman
I just ordered one!
914werke
Thx Geoff it'll go out Mon!
reno_914
Just ordered one!
914werke
Thank you, on its way! bye1.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 25 2019, 08:05 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered one
914werke
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 25 2019, 03:48 PM) *
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 25 2019, 08:05 AM) *
icon_bump.gif
Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered one

aktion035.gif should go out tomorrow!
914werke
@loux951 went out yesterday smile.gif
Thank You
loux951
QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 11 2019, 08:24 AM) *

poke.gif

I got it and it looks great! piratenanner.gif
914werke
Click to view attachment
914werke
Click to view attachment
914werke
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Dagnit Rich, Shoulda grabbed one of these yesterday. Don't ever plan on using it, but I do own a 914 so I'll probably need it.
914werke
No worries. Any time your down this way I keep them in stock or I can ship. smile.gif
forrestkhaag
Let me tell you a thing or two about this tow bar.

This is the freedom machine for 914 pleasure driving - or track car dragging.

I have some lingering back issues from my days dirt bike racing that have forced alternate racing buckets verses the 914-Mengele torture seats. This tow bar adds another 500 miles of enjoyable driving with 914 pals verses being worn out just to get there.

I have use a similar device to deliver my car to several different specialty shops locally for various things while building my 911 conversion engine.

I have dragged my 914 to the WCR on PCH with the lovely wife steeped in all of the required comforts of a MBZ SUV only to join in on the drives of each day / then hooked up for the return home.

This system makes the actual driving fun again. The beat-down commute to the drive is eliminated and even if one has an unfortunate fuel pump failure or some other obscure part-failure, simply hook up and tow away.

The worst thing about the tow bar concept is how it eliminates the excuses. so many.......
I cant make the drive that far to go on a drive and the car might not even get there......... It is 90 degrees at noon. The 914 will burst into flames.......... The kids can't come to the hotel and play in the pool with the nanny while we go on the drive, open the picnic basket and have a pecky glass of red..........
or.....
I didn't get the car ready in time.

Well. La De Da.

Drag the not-working-in-time-car into the parking lot of a 914 event and learn more about your (car) problems than you ever wanted to know. In that lot, there might be Mark. There might be an Andy. There is always a Jim. There is probably a Keith. There is, in that lot, Larmo.......... no wait....... Clothing is no longer optional. Larmo is a 911 guy now but he will always remain the color of we the average 914 Goober.

I would say, on balance, that a tow bar is not an option for me. It is required. it gets my car to more places where I can use my car.

Unfortunately, the Boxster I just purchased has storage for a week, seat heaters, real lights, real tunes, a real AC and a real heater, no headers, real brakes, 7 gears, leather all over the place the list goes on.... ............ so my lovely wife wants me to take it on the drives.. My 914 goes on the block.
AZBanks
These are listed as back ordered on your store. Do you have an ETA on when they will be back in stock?
914werke
Just sold last two is stock. I make them in small batches, so it'll only be a week or so before it would ship.
Root_Werks
Really impressed with this product. Picked up a tow hitch from Harbor Freight for $70 out the door. Everything fits and works as it should.
AZBanks
Order Placed
914werke
Surprisingly these still sell quite well. smile.gif
I assumed with the increase in value we've been experiencing folks would be using trailers more. confused24.gif
RFoulds
Just used mine to tow 2 hours to Santa Monica for our Malibu Canyon run. Worked perfectly.
jim-c
I bought one a couple of months ago. Nice design and priced well.
914werke
A bit over a week to WCR.. If your thinking of flat towing, time to order!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 8 2022, 07:26 PM) *

A bit over a week to WCR.. If your thinking of flat towing, time to order!

@914worke

i need one for Okteenerfest in September. Trying to decide what kind of tow bar yoke to use. We used to have a motorhome and i had a blue ox bar to tow our suburban. I dont need something that robust, but they were nice!.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.