Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut a hole in the firewall today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Should have done this from the start, but I thought I knew better. If you're going to have a six then cut the hole in your firewall when you're doing the body work. Swapping out the shims for adjusting the tension on the fan belt is so much easier when you can see what you're doing. I plan to add some tabs to the peice I cut out and fix it so it will bolt back into place.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Billy, just an idea idea.gif ...

... have you thought placing a WTB ad for someone to cut you a larger firewall section out of a scrap car, so you can trim it to size with an overlap to the opening you cut?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 9 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Billy, just an idea idea.gif ...

... have you thought placing a WTB ad for someone to cut you a larger firewall section out of a scrap car, so you can trim it to size with an overlap to the opening you cut?

agree.gif gee I wonder who would have something already cut out that you could use. shades.gif rolleyes.gif
Mark Henry
agree.gif

Plus I would have made it bigger.

It will be hard to get you hand in there to turn the dizzy, while holding a strobe aimed at the timing marks and trying to see what you're doing.
Krieger
Cool! A buddy convinced me to do it on my track car. I am so glad I did it you will be too. It is also handy when setting your timing. I do not have a back pad so it is just a few screws to remove.
PanelBilly
I have the flywheel marked for timing but it would be nice to check it on the crank
Krieger
I do too, but you can do it so much quicker sitting in the driver's seat glancing at the tach and looking at the timing marks. Easier to get at the distributor bolt too.
mb911
When folks mention a larger hole how large are we talking? I will do this on my car at some point but just curious what people feel is big enough..
Larmo63
I'm doing this on Blackie. I bought a section at the last swap to do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.