Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To build stock 4 car or conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I have a roller shell that I am too deep into to sell so I am debating the build. Instead of losing a couple of $$$ on selling it as is, I am debating adding thousands plus all that time.

It is an Adriatic blue 1970 4. It is rough looking and merely a roller but has no rot that I can find. It has the original hell hole in remarkable condition, but the battery tray and support have been removed which obviously can be replaced. The car will be stripped for bodywork and paint but here is the dilemma.

The original engine is gone but I have a late 2 liter engine and trans.
Do I build it:
A) Back as a four "stockish" car.

B) Do a conversion sleeper

C) Do a GT look alike with flares

Just to put in perspective, I already have; 1 B and 1 C track car, plus a real six being restored headbang.gif ( see Alice he IS an addict ! ) so I need nothing.

My preference is go 4 cyl with updated 2 liter engine and ss trans as that will be the most economical plus it retains the "spirit' of the 914.

As I write this I have decided moron may be more applicable than addict evilgrin.gif
This should be good popcorn[1].gif
iwanta914-6
Well, your signature states that you already have a GT replica and a real six so yeah, maybe the economical 4 for this one since you already have the engine and trans.
GeorgeRud
Sit on the shell till the others are restored. Too many projects equal nothing getting done.

If you're like me, you'll be disappointed in the -4 once you're used to the -6. Perhaps a LS conversion to keep things interesting?
r_towle
TDi diesel conversion.
injunmort
how much do you want to spend? i traded a motorcycle for a running 1970 911t and a 1974 914 2.0l. originally to convert the 914 to a 2.2l. after looking at the addition cost to convert even though i had the big stuff (engine trans, five lug etc.) and what 911's are going for, it was a no brainer. restore the 911 and restore the 914. both worth more and cheaper to do as they are.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Well,a full set of 14s,dang,that's a good hand.
LPG fueled high compression 2.4,blown or turboed.
A blue streak,fuel efficient and clean cats.
As a Joker,up your sleeve,with gracefully bulging fenders.
laugh.gif

/
Cairo94507
I woud do it as a 2.0 with factory FI with SS transaxle and just enjoy it.
mepstein
I would ask it what it wants to be.
Sedonut
There is only one right answer. What ever makes you happy.

Done right it will be fun how ever you build it.

If you wanted to make money, restoring cars is not the way.
sixaddict
Good and varied insight....The bones are so good I hate to alter them hence original plan to go 2 liter 4 with ss gearbox. Probably leaning hard that way especially since $$ outlay will be lower and does provided full house.
Thanks ......
OH ...for ME ---I know I am admitting my lack of knowledge but where are the 914s "ears" located. dry.gif
Mark Henry
Put it on a Ford Bronco chassis. biggrin.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 11 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Put it on a Ford Bronco chassis. biggrin.gif

Wouldn't that make it an ass kicker instead of a ass dragger?
Mueller
I'm partial to the mild 2.0 /4 build and build "lightness" into the build. Bare bones wherever you can sacrifice a component or if cost effective substitute a different lighter material.
matthepcat
You could always do a hot rod 4 banger and make it as light as possible while looking stock-ish.
r_towle
There is something very pleasing to driving a stock 4 cylinder car...
patrick3000
Stock 4, spend as little time and $$$ as possible to get a running driving well sorted car, then drive the piss out of it.
GaroldShaffer
When I bought my 70 14yrs ago it had a stock 73 2.0L and side shift trans. Over the years I added swaybars, adjustable Koni shocks, movable passenger seat and a few other items. I drove the snot out of it an Autocrossed it every chance I got. Sold it last year and of course now wish I would have kept it. I have my 73 with 2.7 /4 that is great car, but the loved how the stock 2.0L drove.

wub.gif
QUOTE(Sedonut @ Sep 10 2016, 09:42 PM) *

There is only one right answer. What ever makes you happy.

Done right it will be fun how ever you build it.

+1, the best advice. Unless you happen to hit the next Mega Lottery.
larryM
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 11 2016, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Sedonut @ Sep 10 2016, 09:42 PM) *

+1, the best advice. Unless you happen to hit the next Mega Lottery.

yup - you already knew that

- a six conversion is worth the sum of the cost of the parts you put into it

- it's a great hobby

EdwardBlume
If the chassis is a 3/70 sell it. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.