Looks almost too nice for Chump racing!

Good luck this season, have fun!
wndsrfr
Good Luck Shane! Go get 'em....
carr914
See you there!

Jetsetsurfshop
Thanks guys. biggrin.gif
We hope to make a better showing this year. Sebring likes to rip the car apart. Was so proud last year when the car held up for the whole race.

T.C. No BMW this year and does that Mercedes have a engine swap? Love the paint job.
brant
kick butt!
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 12 2016, 08:56 AM) *

Thanks guys. biggrin.gif
We hope to make a better showing this year. Sebring likes to rip the car apart. Was so proud last year when the car held up for the whole race.

T.C. No BMW this year and does that Mercedes have a engine swap? Love the paint job.

We've got the BMW & the Merc (last year we had the BMW & a Miata). The Merc has a LS1 & 6 Speed! driving.gif
carr914
I didn't see your car listed in the Garage/Pit List. We are in Pit 3

Shane, do you need any more Cookie Cutters? I have 2
ThePaintedMan
Can't wait! Should be fun, but hot again. Hoping my mid-day runs will help a bit with the heat acclimation. Also hoping to get to dice it up with T.C. on track this year. Somehow I miss him every year.
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 14 2016, 07:35 AM) *

Can't wait! Should be fun, but hot again. Hoping my mid-day runs will help a bit with the heat acclimation. Also hoping to get to dice it up with T.C. on track this year. Somehow I miss him every year.

I'm scheduled to run Stint #2 & 5 driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 03:06 AM) *

6inch or 7inch?

We are garage/pit stall 16. Where are you at?
Jetsetsurfshop
Something to help with the heat. Never used one before. beer.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 04:29 AM) *

We need to get you two on the track together. I had George down for stints #4 & 8. Maybe we can change that up a bit. George did so well at night (or maybe I did so bad) I wanted him to finish the race this time. I don't want to separate the stints to much. Doing #2 then 8 seems crazy. To much down time in-between stints. confused24.gif
ThePaintedMan
We're all good Shane smile.gif It works out one way or another. I like the thought of #4 and #8. Who knows how it all shakes out, we might still end up on track together with full course yellows, weird pit stops, etc.

Stop beating yourself up - you're a quick, solid driver. I might have set FTD, but remember, I'm the only one who spun too. One spin throws any gains out the window.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 14 2016, 08:01 AM) *

We're all good Shane smile.gif It works out one way or another. I like the thought of #4 and #8. Who knows how it all shakes out, we might still end up on track together with full course yellows, weird pit stops, etc.

Stop beating yourself up - you're a quick, solid driver. I might have set FTD, but remember, I'm the only one who spun too. One spin throws any gains out the window.

Not beating myself up at all. I can't wait to try to run with the young guns again. I just know my times fall off a lot at night. I start my braking zones way to early. Getting old. thats all.

I've spun in about every turn at Sebring (3,5,13,16). I was never scared after the spin because I was always somewhat off line. Your spin scared me.
driving.gif icon_bump.gif

ThePaintedMan
Here is the incident from last year in case anyone's interested. The guy hugged the other side of the front stretch the entire straightaway so I had no idea he was closing on me in turn 1 (you can just barely see him in the mirror). Scary? Yeah, I guess. But here's how I look at it, like many other things in life - no sense worrying about something you can't do anything about at that moment. I was a little worried in the car, but at that point, if I was going to get hit, it was just simply going to happen. Instead, I just went back to getting the car started and on my way, but truthfully I lucked out. It's weird though because I distinctly remember putting two feet in and clutching the car, but it still stalled anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBWL3_BdRQ
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 14 2016, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 03:06 AM) *

6inch or 7inch?

We are garage/pit stall 16. Where are you at?

7"s with Old Hoosier Rains Mounted

PIT #3
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 14 2016, 10:35 AM) *

WTF? I will never run again without one - I almost died of Dehydration at the Sebring Chump 2 Years ago because I didn't have one
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 14 2016, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 04:29 AM) *

We need to get you two on the track together. I had George down for stints #4 & 8. Maybe we can change that up a bit. George did so well at night (or maybe I did so bad) I wanted him to finish the race this time. I don't want to separate the stints to much. Doing #2 then 8 seems crazy. To much down time in-between stints. confused24.gif

I'm in the BMW for Stints 2 & 5, but I will be in the Mercedes at some point. Maybe Stint 8 fighting for the Win! first.gif
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 14 2016, 03:31 PM) *

Here is the incident from last year in case anyone's interested. The guy hugged the other side of the front stretch the entire straightaway so I had no idea he was closing on me in turn 1 (you can just barely see him in the mirror). Scary? Yeah, I guess. But here's how I look at it, like many other things in life - no sense worrying about something you can't do anything about at that moment. I was a little worried in the car, but at that point, if I was going to get hit, it was just simply going to happen. Instead, I just went back to getting the car started and on my way, but truthfully I lucked out. It's weird though because I distinctly remember putting two feet in and clutching the car, but it still stalled anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBWL3_BdRQ

What scares me about that (and Thank God it has only happened to me once - at Sebring, Old Turn 10) is Spinning (not of your own accord) and being Dead in the Water sideways with Cars coming at you!

Last year in my 1st Stint in the BMW was terrifying at times! Every good right turn, a Wire stretched off the Ignition which killed the car, then as soon as the car straighten out, the car would roar back to life. Talk about watching the Mirrors, I felt like I was in IMSA GTU back in the day! I broke a Tooth when I clinched my Teeth in Turn 16 when I thought I was going to be clobbered from the rear, then the Car woke up, jerked and my Tooth snapped. Good thing I'm not effected by Pain too much.

But Chump Sebring is an Adventure/Happening/Best Time of your Life/Race!

It's the one thing I plan my Year around! "Kids Racing for Life" is also one of the few Charities that I donate to.

Click to view attachment

How many other Teams of any Organization (IMSA, INDYCAR, etc) get their cars displayed at the Chateau Elan every year? None, but ours! Panoz used to put a car of his there occasionally when he owned the place, but our "ART" cars are there every year
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 03:58 PM) *

WTF? I will never run again without one - I almost died of Dehydration at the Sebring Chump 2 Years ago because I didn't have one

I tested it the other day and couldn't believe it. My first thought was that it was too cold.
beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 16 2016, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 03:58 PM) *

I tested it the other day and couldn't believe it. My first thought was that it was too cold.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

carr914
I will be Debuting my New Helmet at Chump '16

Click to view attachment
carr914
Everything good with you Guys? Shane, did you want my Cookies? no time to dis-mount the Hoosiers, but I can still bring them.

Staying at the La Quinta - See you Friday!

The Mercedes Dyno'd at 280/310 to to wheel on Monday!

Click to view attachment
Cracker
TC: I like your helmet...where did you get that done, if you don't mind sharing?

Tony
carr914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 21 2016, 10:16 PM) *

TC: I like your helmet...where did you get that done, if you don't mind sharing?

Tony

Savage Designs in Melbourne, FL

Mike does a lot of Pro Helmets. I have used other Painters in the past, but I won this Helmet in an Auction that came with a Certificate for Paint by Savage. My winning Bid was less than the Helmet price from Bell much less the Paint

My Helmet line-up - the only one I don't have is my first helmet from the mid '80s

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Very cool TC - thanks! I too have a Bell open cockpit helmet - a must or the P1 car! I'll look savage up...have a great race.

PS: So the helmet "mounts" are your version of a hunters display? eh? beerchug.gif

Tony

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 22 2016, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 21 2016, 10:16 PM) *

Tony

Savage Designs in Melbourne, FL

Mike does a lot of Pro Helmets. I have used other Painters in the past, but I won this Helmet in an Auction that came with a Certificate for Paint by Savage. My winning Bid was less than the Helmet price from Bell much less the Paint

My Helmet line-up - the only one I don't have is my first helmet from the mid '80s

Click to view attachment

carr914
Hunter's Display! biggrin.gif

I had never thought of that way till I posted that picture on Facebook and one of my old G/Fs made the same remark

the Holders are made by Bell and used in bicycle stores
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 21 2016, 05:14 PM) *

Everything good with you Guys? Shane, did you want my Cookies? no time to dis-mount the Hoosiers, but I can still bring them.

Click to view attachment

Don't worry about the wheels for the weekend. My head is already spinning. wacko.gif

Were staring at the Residence Inn.

I can't believe there letting a LS1 powered car in Chump. I assume its an EC car?
I wish your teams car had a different paint scheme. I'll see that BMW in my mirror and think "that doesn't belong there"! driving.gif
See you Friday, can't wait.
Jetsetsurfshop
first.gif
carr914
See you tomorrow afternoon!
ThePaintedMan
Fuch! We were 10th overall then a driver spun...

Click to view attachment

We packed up, but TC is still there swapping engines in their Mercedes! Wishin him luck.
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 24 2016, 05:57 PM) *

Fuch! We were 10th overall then a driver spun...

Click to view attachment

We packed up, but TC is still there swapping engines in their Mercedes! Wishin him luck.

No we blew the motor in the BMW, took it out, found a team that had a nasty Street pullout longblock, assembled it and took the Checkered Flag!

Sorry about your car Shane - I know it will be better than before soon. I don't have a front clip, but I have a Metal front bumper with a cut-out for a front cooler you can have

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
George, after you left, they Black Flagged the Race for 2 1/2 Hours due to Lightning (Corner Workers safety) We kept plugging on the Motor since it was in the Garage, so we actually didn't lose all of the 3 1/2 Hours it took to do the motor!

I was the guinea pig to take the re-built car ( we had pulled the blown motor, tranny, exhaust, cooling system, a lot of wiring) in the Rain and there was still some Lightning.

Plus for us, because of the Black Flag Delay, ChumpCar gave every team that re-started & finished a $100 Credit/Refund - we got 2 because the Benz finished too.

Click to view attachment
carr914
I drove both the BMW (in the Rain and at Night!) and the Benz. Daz Benz in a POS! The Owner has $35,000 into it (3 LS motors so far), but everybody that drove it was hoping it caught fire so we would never have to drive it again. The LS Motor & 6 Speed were nice ( I think I only reached 5th a couple of times), but that Fucher pushed and with the weight of the car, the Brakes were scary. Not it that they would go out - but if I braked 5 feet early, I felt like my Grandma , but if went 5 feet later, I thought I was going to DIE! Seriously! Also if the backend stepped out a bit, it snapped back violently, I couldn't drift the back at all! Every Driver (4 of us) thought the same thing. It also suffered from 1 Fuel Pump replacement and after that a Fuel Pickup problem in which it would only run for about 40 minute (about half tank)

We ended up having 5 Drivers (and 1 guy didn't drive much - he was the one that blew the BMW motor & he didn't want to drive at night and he didn't want to drive Daz Benz) for the 2 Cars, so even with the Down Time for both cars & the lightning delay, we ended up with good seat time

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 22 2016, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 21 2016, 05:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I can't believe there letting a LS1 powered car in Chump. I assume its an EC car?
I wish your teams car had a different paint scheme. I'll see that BMW in my mirror and think "that doesn't belong there"! driving.gif

What did think of this ChumpCar? It won the Clean Car Award which goes to the Team that has the fewest incidents & finishs. They said that the Mustang didn't even have a spin all day!

Click to view attachment

Oops!

Click to view attachment

Double Oops!

Click to view attachment
carr914
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

sad.gif

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Great photos as usual from Eric, TC. I'm glad you got some running in - I had a feeling that Mercedes was going to be a total bear. LS motors are great, but better in 914s smile.gif

I wish we could have stuck around a little longer to watch you out on track, but the boys were pretty dejected. I had even offered to go get my car, tech it, and get back out on track, but we decided we had enough for one day. With the rain/lightning, it was probably better that we got on the road. sad.gif

brant
George,

I hope the driver was only rattled and nothing worse
so sorry for all of you... but especially Shane!
brant
ChrisFoley
BTDT

Click to view attachment

On site repairs being made.
In the background I'm working a come-along, pulling hard.
That's Thorshammer on the ATV just pulling lightly on the inner fender which was bent outward.
It was hard to keep the car stationary.

Click to view attachment

48 hours after the incident the car was ready for a photo lineup.

Click to view attachment
Cracker
So Chris...they just needed a four-wheeler, tow straps and some balls. Good job!

Tony
Jetsetsurfshop
I was waiting for Chris to chime in. You're hit looks just as bad as ours. Ill post some pictures next. I'll start a new thread in the Garage. Not to many folks check out the paddock. (your throttle linkage worked great!)

Thanks Brant. It still hasn't sunk in yet. Going to try, weather permitting, to get her out of the trailer tonight. Maybe then it will hit me.

There was a few 914 guys there and they were all so proud of what we were doing out there. My run was the only one we have on video. You guys need to check it out. Running down some pretty fast cars out there. The only difference we did to the engine was we changed the cam (removed the 494 for a 163 grind) and added 44 EMPIs. She's was quite a bit faster. Three seconds faster for me. driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Some pictures.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 26 2016, 01:10 PM) *

Some pictures.

Pull, bump, bang, pull, bump....repeat. You'll be amazed how malleable that front end is. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey....It won't exactly buff out, but hammer & pull and it'll be ok--for a chump/track car. driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiS2JRwfZn4

Here's our first stint. We didn't get a chance to swap the Gopro for the second stint. No crash footage. Wish I had more to share. sad.gif
ThePaintedMan
If you get a chance, check out Shane's video. His driving is really consistent from rev-matching to general aggressiveness/smart passing in traffic. And that motor really purrs!
Cracker
Shane - I don't know Sebring but do have a friend who drives there - what was your fast time? Just curious - good, smooth driving.

Tony
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 3 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Shane - I don't know Sebring but do have a friend who drives there - what was your fast time? Just curious - good, smooth driving.

Tony

Old engine was a with Toyo RA1s was 2:47:1. With the new cam and larger carbs I did a 2:47.3 on falkens. Once the car is straight again I can't wait to toss those Toyos on and try to best my time. Think I get down to a 2:45.
I don't get the most out of the car. Still a bit conservative. George bet my time last year by a 1 1/2 seconds at night.
Thanks for the compliment. In chump car smooth and predictable is key.
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, fast times really are irrelevant in this type of racing. Knocking off a second a lap for ten laps nets ten seconds, but one stupid move can cost 30 seconds to a minute or more. I pushed a little harder at night last year just to see how much was left in the car. In the future, I'd probably adopt Shane's style. If we were running solid 47-48s for the whole race and only pitted minimally, we might have been in the top 5 overall against newer BMWs, V8 Lexuses (Lexi?) and the like. It really does punch way above it's weight.
Cracker
I realize that...I was just curious as I have only one other benchmark - a different car completely though - no comparisons. I'm planning on doing Sebring this Winter, with a friend, who has raced there in the past. Once dates are set, maybe we can get a number of 914 to participate and make it a fun time. I'll circle back once schedules are released...

Not knowing much at all about Sebring...my guess is I'd be running the 20's somewhere - maybe mid to high. Time will tell.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.