Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help From Houston Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Hi everyone, I haven't been on the forum to much lately. I have a flex/door gap issue. I have been working on my car for some time now, nit to make it perfect, but presentable. I have had the car stripped down and put on a rotisserie some years ago.
The rust areas were not that extensive, just the normal places. and I replaced the parts and metal needed. I still had problems after the repairs with the flex and door gaps. I pocked around everywhere possible with a screw drive looking for rust. I really did not expect to find any due to sand blasting and inspection when on the rotisserie
I had the long clamps from restoration design installed thinking surely this would resolve my problem. Nope!
When I put a jack under the car at the jack point the car gaps will come back to where they should be.
I live at the south end of Houston in League City; I am looking for a shop test can put my car on a rack and hopefully help me with my problem. I know there are a lot of shops in the area, bit I need someone who know the older uni-body or knows these cars. Thanks for your help. Mike pray.gif
stuttgart46
Get in touch with Einar at Einar's Garage.
He's in Seabrook right off of 146 and Nasa 1.
xperu
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Sep 11 2016, 08:24 PM) *

Yes, Einar installed the long clamps from restoration design. Thanks Mike
VaccaRabite
The rust may have bondo or fibreglass over it, hiding it.

Either that or the metal is just fatigues and torn somewhere.

But the car should not flex like that.

Zach

orbit398
I also live in League City. I really don't know of a good place locally but a friend who owns Luxuary Auto in La Marque might.

Eli Sotengco - (409) 935-8090 - tell him Andy sent you.
jmz
Cage it.
mbseto
Pics?
xperu
QUOTE(jmz @ Sep 16 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Cage it.

Yah know, I have given that serious thought. I mainly use my car for autocross, though I haven't taken it out for a while.
When I had the engine out and on the rotisserie I replaced everything I could and replaced metal. I will do some very serious poking around again on the car to look for rust, but I had the passenger compartment and the engine bay bead blasted because I knew these cars from my past experiences with the 914.
I need to fix the car but, like a lot of us I have mucho money in the engine and everything else I could put into "plus my wife's intervention $$$$", so more into it then it's worth.
I have looked at Chris's cage, I will have to think about it. I might take the suggestion and take it to La Marque first.
I actually thought of some kind of home made strange gage so I could really see a week point. It might be fatigue it's possible? I don't know!
Hey Guy from League City, I live in Victory Lakes behind Lowe's on FM646. Drop me an email if you want to get together sometime. Thanks Mike
xperu
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Sep 11 2016, 08:24 PM) *

Einar does an excellent job. I saw the 914 conversion six he built. I have never seen nor heard a 914 like that, the car was flawless in every aspect. He also works on 911's, he's a guy you like the first time you meet him. On my car he took his time and made sure the longitude clamshells were installed correctly. Mike
Beebo Kanelle
Have you spoken to the folks at Katy Coachworks, I-10 @ Blalock? (713) 465-6225 I've seen a couple of 914's there and presently, they are restoring an old 911... Also, you might wish to contact Rennsport Porsche Works in Sealy (979) 885 7304

Plus, is every 914 in Houston yellow? (mine is!)

jmz
over the years I've done a lot of work with a reputable shop up near Dallas. when I told them I was thinking of a 914/6 they advised me that they are all getting tired and fatigued with a lot of flex and corrosion of course... When I finally bought one that had good gaps...never rusted, never crashed but it is caged and has lots of stiffening done to the chassis they had told me the cage was probably what kept it straight in their opinion.

I'm kind of surprised that the the longitutidinal stiffening wasn't able to bring things back in line on your car.

Is it a door gap issue for you or do you think it is some handling issues? if just door gap, maybe you just live with it?

[quote name='xperu' date='Sep 16 2016, 04:44 PM' post='2399357']
[quote name='jmz' post='2399179' date='Sep 16 2016, 09:06 A
Cage it.
[/quote]
Yah know, I have given that serious thought. I mainly use my car for autocross, though I haven't taken it out for a while.
When I had the engine out and on the rotisserie I replaced everything I could and replaced metal. I will do some very serious poking around again on the car to look for rust, but I had the passenger compartment and the engine bay bead blasted because I knew these cars from my past experiences with the 914.
I need to fix the car but, like a lot of us I have mucho money in the engine and everything else I could put into "plus my wife's intervention $$$$", so more into it then it's worth.
I have looked at Chris's cage, I will have to think about it. I might take the suggestion and take it to La Marque first.
I actually thought of some kind of home made strange gage so I could really see a week point. It might be fatigue it's possible? I don't know!
Hey Guy from League City, I live in Victory Lakes behind Lowe's on FM646. Drop me an email if you want to get together sometime. Thanks Mike
[/quote]
xperu
[quote name='jmz' date='Sep 19 2016, 09:13 AM' post='2400336']
over the years I've done a lot of work with a reputable shop up near Dallas. when I told them I was thinking of a 914/6 they advised me that they are all getting tired and fatigued with a lot of flex and corrosion of course... When I finally bought one that had good gaps...never rusted, never crashed but it is caged and has lots of stiffening done to the chassis they had told me the cage was probably what kept it straight in their opinion.

I'm kind of surprised that the the longitutidinal stiffening wasn't able to bring things back in line on your car.

Is it a door gap issue for you or do you think it is some handling issues? if just door gap, maybe you just live with it?
Thanks Lone Star State, I am more concerned with the gaps. I have a real good engine and suspension rebuild. I'm just going to live with what I got. This is my 4th 914 and I have had it for 10 years, so I will stop complaining and keep the money in my pocket. Just drive it! as they say. Thanks to all. Mike

[quote name='xperu' date='Sep 16 2016, 04:44 PM' post='2399357']
[quote name='jmz' post='2399179' date='Sep 16 2016, 09:06 A
Cage it.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.