Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Staying true to its original livery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smg914
After purchasing the M471 GT back in 2007, and many weeks of deliberation, I decided to restore it to how it looked when Erich Strenger first purchased the car from Strahle Porsche in Germany back in 1972 (as documented from many early photographs). This of course included adding the front and rear stripes, the Can-Am sticker in the rear window, the front (S-AU 3506) license plate and many other things. However, there has always been one fairly significant thing I didn't do for various reasons. Its the (Strahle Auto Sport) sticker that was on the front quarter panels just behind the wheel arches. (see black and white photo below)

Recently while talking to a concours judge that I highly respect. The subject of vintage Porsche race car livery came up. I told him about what I did with my car and that I neglected one detail because I really didn't want to put stickers on the body even though I did go with the stripes. He convinced me that if the early photos document that it had the stickers, then they should be on the car. He also said, "If you don't like it, you can always take it off".

The car is being shipped to New York in October for a private (invitation only) event. Some of the most prolific car collectors will be there and to be true to my narrative about restoring the car to its original livery, I decided to install the stickers. It will take a little time for me to warm up to it.... but....it is now that much closer to its original livery and that is pretty cool!

What say you?

smg914
Photos of a Strahle Porshce 914-6 GT
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif

That is one schweet looking car. drooley.gif
smg914
Just installed a new Dansk 914-6 muffler too.
Tom_T
Looks really Bitchen Steve!

Good Luck at the NY Show too! first.gif

Too bad it wasn't ready for the last VT Parade.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dion
I love it. That car was always the inspiration for how I wanted my car presented.
It's perfect. Good luck at your exhibition.
KELTY360
Fits in perfectly.
Ian Stott
I think it looks right nice! Good to see a teener in such nice condition, it will represent well.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mueller
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Sep 11 2016, 01:54 PM) *

I think it looks right nice! Good to see a teener in such nice condition, it will represent well.

^Ditto , very nice car and too cool to have such history associated with it!
JeffBowlsby
thumb3d.gif

You are living the dream Steve....looks great.
Cairo94507
Not a fan of stickers but I agree this car needs to have them. Car looks perfect. Good luck. smilie_pokal.gif
Gunn1
Beautiful car.

Sexy standing still smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
I say I like 'em!

--DD
gms
Steve, the stickers look great and I am glad it was you who ended up with this car
smg914
Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments which confirm that it was the right thing to do. It took me over 9 years to make this decision and now I'm glad I did it. All I need now is Wolfgang's (Gustl) approval.
Johny Blackstain
thumb3d.gif smilie_pokal.gif
pete000
I like the decals!
stuttgart46
Looks great Steve.
Larmo63
I like the stickers. They are tasteful and correct.

Why doesn't have the right wheels on it?

(per the historical picture)
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 11 2016, 09:39 PM) *

That might take another 9 years biggrin.gif
carr914
Doing Cars n Coffee on Davis Island this Saturday?
smg914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 11 2016, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 11 2016, 09:39 PM) *

That might take another 9 years biggrin.gif

At least 9. But to answer the question; they're the correct size for GT's and if good enough for Mr. Strenger, then good enough for me. An upgrade to the M471 that I really like.
smg914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2016, 06:29 PM) *

I didn't even know they were doing that. Is it held in Jetter's front lawn?
barrym
do you have any more pics of the roll cage structure ...

our rules here in Oz mean the harness & cross bars cannot be bent - must to all straight ... that one looks like it might work !
bcheney
The car looks right with the decal if you know and understand its history. Great decision to place them on the car Steve! Have a great time on your next trip.
sixnotfour
Michelin tires

Great 914 ...
Ferg
I like it! Nice job
jfort
all I can say is WOW!
Front yard mechanic
I absolutely love the roll bar through the back glass smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
I agree with the judge and I like them.
smg914
QUOTE(barrym @ Sep 11 2016, 11:37 PM) *

do you have any more pics of the roll cage structure ...

our rules here in Oz mean the harness & cross bars cannot be bent - must to all straight ... that one looks like it might work !

This is the best I can do for you......
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/dealer_9146gt_...0430163_strahle
carr914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 11 2016, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2016, 06:29 PM) *

I didn't even know they were doing that. Is it held in Jeter's front lawn?

Derek doesn't have much of a Lawn, but with 40,000sq we could stuff a lot of 914s in there.

The DuPont Registry is having their CnC on the Davis Airport runways instead of Clearwater this month
dcheek
Steve,
You know me and originality. If that's the way it was - that's the way it should be! Congratulations on owning, maintaining and displaying properly one of the most unique 914's on the planet.

What "private" event are you going to be at in October?

Dave
Cracker
Obviously, the car is special, no denying that but the black stripes? Was that the way it was ORIGINALLY painted? There is only one original, right? I've never seen another M471 with that treatment, which is why I ask. I too like the stickers, even more so if that is how it left the factory. Anything else is a modified state - correct? Enjoy your gathering.

Tony
smg914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 13 2016, 03:24 AM) *

What "private" event are you going to be at in October?

Dave

Monticello Motor Club

Thanks for your input Dave.

Steve
smg914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 13 2016, 05:25 AM) *

Obviously, the car is special, no denying that but the black stripes? Was that the way it was ORIGINALLY painted? There is only one original, right? I've never seen another M471 with that treatment, which is why I ask. I too like the stickers, even more so if that is how it left the factory. Anything else is a modified state - correct? Enjoy your gathering.

Tony

My intention since shortly after purchasing the car back in 2007, has been to restore it to how it looked when Erich Strenger first purchased it from Strahle Porsche in Germany back in 1972. I have multiple photos of the car that were taken shortly after Erich got the car. There is also a photo of the car in the Brian Long book on 914's and a few other photos from the Porsche archives all showing the same livery. The stripes and stickers were more then likely installed by Strahle. Porsche produced and sold the GT's but the dealers and the race teams installed the livery.
Cracker
Fantastic.

Tony

QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 13 2016, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 13 2016, 05:25 AM) *

Tony

My intention since shortly after purchasing the car back in 2007, has been to restore it to how it looked when Erich Strenger first purchased it from Strahle Porsche in Germany back in 1972. I have multiple photos of the car that were taken shortly after Erich got the car. There is also a photo of the car in the Brian Long book on 914's and a few other photos from the Porsche archives all showing the same livery. The stripes and stickers were more then likely installed by Strahle. Porsche produced and sold the GT's but the dealers and the race teams installed the livery.

Big Len
Agree - Love it.
My 914
I think stripes and stickers add a nice touch to a car with a racing pedigree and yours is an excellent example!
rgalla9146
All of the Strenger posters and artwork are classics. And beautiful.
The way the artist did it is the way it should be..... it looks great !
I don't know if it's the photos but it appears a bit high. Is it ?
smg914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 13 2016, 01:11 PM) *

All of the Strenger posters and artwork are classics. And beautiful.
The way the artist did it is the way it should be..... it looks great !
I don't know if it's the photos but it appears a bit high. Is it ?

For some reason, the rear always looks high in photos. Although the rear does sit a little higher then the front, it looks right in person.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I am not about to sort thru my early '70s issues of Christophorus, but if memory serves me correctly, your /6 depicts the Strenger livery as was published in the PORSCHE house magazine. (Of course we all knew that when you started this thread). Kudos for preserving /representing the car as it was built/delivered.

It is obvious that you have a real significant 914 with not only its rarity, but with its provenance as well. clap56.gif

Paul
smg914
Well said Paul. Based on this thread, you and lots of others here get it. The story behind the car is a good story.....God knows I've told it many, many times. I haven't posted here much in the last 2 years and this way some of the new kids on the site get to read about what's very important to so many of us sicko's, that have a deep passion for these cars.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread!

Steve
carr914
Back in '06, not long after Steve got the Strenger and it was the Guinea Pig for my new lift!

Click to view attachment
Cracker
When was it last raced in "anger"...for what it was created to do? Sounds like a great candidate for Monterrey or even Goodwood (if they'd invite you, Goodwood that is)...

Are the stripes painted of vinyl - just curious? New "kid and all... slap.gif

Tony
smg914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 14 2016, 03:42 AM) *

When was it last raced in "anger"...for what it was created to do? Sounds like a great candidate for Monterrey or even Goodwood (if they'd invite you, Goodwood that is)...

Are the stripes painted of vinyl - just curious? New "kid and all... slap.gif

Tony

Hey Tony,
The last time this car was used for what it was created to do was Okteenerfest 2015. Prior to that, other then Erich Strenger doing some track days, this particular M471 never was raced. Many of the 23 M471's produced never became race cars. The stripes were a vinyl kit available back in the day. I have dozens of vintage photos of 914's with the same stripes (mostly European 914-6 race cars.
carr914
It wasn't raced - it was used as a "Mule", a Camera Car, Daily Driver, etc

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Again...very cool information - thank you.

I believe early in this discussion, this statement through me off, "I think stripes and stickers add a nice touch to a car with a racing pedigree and yours is an excellent example!"; and "It is obvious that you have a real significant 914 with not only its rarity, but with its provenance as well." Although not exclusively reserved for "race cars", "racing pedigree" and descriptions of "provenance" is usually associated with notable race cars - with results.

So you have a beautiful, rare factory M471 street car bought at the perfect time.

Tony
smg914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2016, 04:36 AM) *

It wasn't raced - it was used as a "Mule", a Camera Car, Daily Driver, etc

Click to view attachment

Thanks for posting that photo TC. You can see the Strahle Auto Sport sticker in that photo. I believe that's Erich Strenger is standing there in a winter coat. The SHELL and Bilstein stickers were more then likely temporally installed for the Nurburgring shoot.
smg914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 14 2016, 07:07 AM) *

Again...very cool information - thank you.

I believe early in this discussion, this statement through me off, "I think stripes and stickers add a nice touch to a car with a racing pedigree and yours is an excellent example!"; and "It is obvious that you have a real significant 914 with not only its rarity, but with its provenance as well." Although not exclusively reserved for "race cars", "racing pedigree" and descriptions of "provenance" is usually associated with notable race cars - with results.

So you have a beautiful, rare factory M471 street car bought at the perfect time.

Tony

Key word being "usually". agree.gif As far as 914s are concerned, very, very few 914s that were not race cars back in the day have provenance today. If I had to come up with 1, it would be this car. It's fascinating well documented history more then qualify it. It will never achieve the Gregg/Haywood 59 status but certainly a deserving term when describing this car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.