Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a new exhaust for a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
I'm looking for a new exhaust for the -6. I have an older 2-in, 2-out exhaust which looks like it was a 2-in, 1-out at some point but was modified by welding up the single outlet and adding two log center outlets under the bumper.

I've been looking at the "banana-stylIe" mufflers as well as the custom-style that uses a couple of tubes into a large single Magnaflow muffler.

Does anyone have any experience with M&K or another banana-style besides the stock Dansk replacement?

What about other custom alternatives?

I'm looking for a sporty sounding street exhaust.

Thanks for any replies, ideas.
ClayPerrine
Burscht.

They seem to be really good, add a little HP, and sound nice. Get one for a 911 and it will bolt on.
mtn flyr
Just switched from a stockish banana to a M&K 2 in 1 out. I love it, not too load for me at all. IMHO it is a big improvement in sound.
Dave_Darling
Note that the 911 muffler has the tailpipe in a slightly different location than the 914-6 one does. If you have the 914-6 deep "porthole" valence, you'll want the 914-6 muffler.

Since you already have the two-out muffler, you probably either have the later "shorty" valence or none at all, so the 911 tailpipe won't be noticeable.

--DD
Michael N
SCART muffler. I have one on my -6 and love it. I went with the super sound model and it is loud and rancid.

Click to view attachment

bretth
Please post a video of the car running the Scart. I love the sound but heard from one source that some mid range power could be lost? Due to the open nature/lower restriction of the super Sound model? I have never seen any hp comparison figures with and without the Scart though. I hope that is not the case because i want one but $1300 for great sound with a power hit would not be ideal.

Brett
Michael N
QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 12 2016, 08:30 PM) *

Please post a video of the car running the Scart. I love the sound but heard from one source that some mid range power could be lost? Due to the open nature/lower restriction of the super Sound model? I have never seen any hp comparison figures with and without the Scart though. I hope that is not the case because i want one but $1300 for great sound with a power hit would not be ideal.

Brett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLHlXGrT6As
maddin
QUOTE(Michael N @ Sep 13 2016, 03:08 PM) *

Brett

Whoaaaa! drooley.gif
mb911
You should go with an m&k 2in1 out early as the tail pipe will be in the correct location..

mlindner
That sound great Michael.Thanks for posting.
carr914
Mega-Phones!

Click to view attachment
Steve
I'm running the triad muffler with my 3.2. Sounds great and it's much cheaper than other duel exhaust options. Down side it's a little louder than a single turbo muffler. I'm also getting a little drone at around 2500 rpms.
matthepcat
Dude....this makes me want an air cooled 6 again. Very hot.

QUOTE(Michael N @ Sep 12 2016, 10:08 PM) *

Brett

Cal
Here are two more videos of what a vintage 911 sounds like with the SCART exhaust.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBxaiNvYrcI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6wuOUvDnzs
PanelBilly
I'm trying to figure out what to do about my car too. I have the Triad and it's just too loud for me. Saturday I did a 75 mile tour and wore padded headphones the whole time. On the way home I took off the headphones and had a headache when I arrived. Next week I have an appointment for a local muffler expert to look at the system and see if we can modify it to make it quieter. Might be easier and faster to just by a muffler that fits with the headers. Since it uses the stock 2.0 hanger, I'm thinking the 911 ones will fit. I have the MSDS valance so I don't need to worry about the location of the tail pipe(s).
bretth
Awesome. I have seen that video several times. I did not know that was your car. You have an S spec motor correct? Have you run the same motor with any other mufflers and if so what was the performance difference? If driving the car long distance is it uncomfortably loud?

I wish I could try one before i put down the money.

Brett

QUOTE(Michael N @ Sep 13 2016, 01:08 AM) *

Brett

Michael N
QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 13 2016, 07:34 PM) *

Awesome. I have seen that video several times. I did not know that was your car. You have an S spec motor correct? Have you run the same motor with any other mufflers and if so what was the performance difference? If driving the car long distance is it uncomfortably loud?

I wish I could try one before i put down the money.

Brett

QUOTE(Michael N @ Sep 13 2016, 01:08 AM) *

Brett

Motor is a 2.4 MFI S engine out of a 1973 911. I had a regular 911 muffler prior to the SCART and didn't notice a performance difference. The Super Sound is not loud in car when cruising. I know it is very loud when I pass cars on a two lane road because when passing cars traveling in the opposite direction or driving under a overpass it is loud. In the driver's seat really not bad at all.
db9146
Note that the 911 muffler has the tailpipe in a slightly different location than the 914-6 one does. If you have the 914-6 deep "porthole" valence, you'll want the 914-6 muffler.

Since you already have the two-out muffler, you probably either have the later "shorty" valence or none at all, so the 911 tailpipe won't be noticeable.

--DD

So Dave, are you saying that if I'm running a short valance, that any of the Dansk 2-in, 2-out 911 mufflers would bolt up and the tailpipes would work?

Cairo94507
Michael - The next time I see you and you are in your Six, I have to hear it and go for a ride if possible. That Scart sounds beautiful. Merry Christmas-
Michael
sixaddict
I have had a two in two out MK and felt (and had heard) lots of "resonance " if that is the correct description. At certain rpms it rattles your brain.
Love the sound of the Posted unit ...but 1300??? Really does it provide other pleasures evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
Looked at all of the offerings out there for sound, aesthetic, price, etc. Narrowed it to Dansk 2/2 sport exhaust as sold by Patrick Motorsport with 57mm tips, M&K, and one out of Germany, and decided to try the Dansk through Patrick Motorsport at the end, figuring it would be easy to move on from for little lost $$ if I didn't like it.

Well, I love it. I don't know what they did, but my concerns about resonance after all of the stories I'd heard about vintage 2/2 sport mufflers were a non-issue. This exhaust simply looks right and sounds GREAT. Loud, but not ridiculous—and you can drive it pretty quiet if you want to. The idle is healthy, as is the low end, then it screams. Pretty quiet in the mid-range on part throttle, and very quiet in the mid-range off throttle. It's just about perfect, and has transformed the driving experience.

YMMV, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
IronHillRestorations
The stock Porsche muffler on the early cars is much better than a lot of folks realize.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 23 2016, 06:28 PM) *

The stock Porsche muffler on the early cars is much better than a lot of folks realize.

You are absolutely correct, especially when it comes to power. But...I had a really nice, solid Leistritz 2/1 stock muffler and...the sound just didn't do it for me, especially at idle and in the low end. Just too tame and too quiet for me. At some point, I will need to sell the Leistritz—after the sport muffler comes off the car, goes to Jet Hot, and comes back.

pete
campbellcj
I like the sound of that Scart as well! I have an M&K "911R" 2in/2out that I like quite a bit as it is stainless, looks and sounds great, and is fairly light weight. One pipe can be capped-off for quieter street use which is helpful to me. However I don't know if Ben is still in business making this and it was not cheap at the time but a bit less than that Scart.

I also have a Triad "quiet" 2in/2out that I may be selling as it's nice too, but I prefer the M&K for my particular application for several reasons.

Previously I have had several Dansk, factory and Bursch mufflers over the years on different -6/911 engines. The Dansk version of the 2in/2out sport muffler is also a nice option but I personally just never got into the particular raspy barky sound of that design, and the M&K I've got has even less backpressure (a plus for my current engine). For street use as noted above, I actually preferred the factory banana style 2in/1out in the past especially 1 that I had that was slightly de-baffled as a "sport" mod but still a 1-out. It worked decently with MFI also.

I have never been a Bursch muffler fan although some love them.
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

agree.gif ,they are a good design and well made,I have a much larger tail pipe which makes more noise in any gear except 5th,I honestly wouldn't want more noise as great as the six sounds.
Many complain about the cost of a quality aftermarket exhaust but the real money is in the design and R&D that has to go into it.
mb911
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 24 2016, 10:10 AM) *

I like the sound of that Scart as well! I have an M&K "911R" 2in/2out that I like quite a bit as it is stainless, looks and sounds great, and is fairly light weight. One pipe can be capped-off for quieter street use which is helpful to me. However I don't know if Ben is still in business making this and it was not cheap at the time but a bit less than that Scart.

I also have a Triad "quiet" 2in/2out that I may be selling as it's nice too, but I prefer the M&K for my particular application for several reasons.

Previously I have had several Dansk, factory and Bursch mufflers over the years on different -6/911 engines. The Dansk version of the 2in/2out sport muffler is also a nice option but I personally just never got into the particular raspy barky sound of that design, and the M&K I've got has even less backpressure (a plus for my current engine). For street use as noted above, I actually preferred the factory banana style 2in/1out in the past especially 1 that I had that was slightly de-baffled as a "sport" mod but still a 1-out. It worked decently with MFI also.

I have never been a Bursch muffler fan although some love them.

I sold m&k about 4 years ago now..

Just doing the heat exchangers now.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 13 2016, 07:03 AM) *

Hey TC....you beat me to it. I was going to run out and put mine on and do a quick video.
are those antique megaphones ....once silver ?
oh ! ....Merry Christmas
Rory
cal914
Where do you buy the Scart Muffler
bretth
QUOTE(cal914 @ Dec 24 2016, 03:48 PM) *

Where do you buy the Scart Muffler

They have a web site, just search the name. Pelican sells them too.

Brett
mb911
Just a side note in spring I will be developing a new muffler that m&k may sell for me but it is to be a stainless version of the stock 2in1 out but lighter weight and all TIG welded. Waiting on parts for my engine so I can build a test stand. If. M&k won't carry it then it will be sold under a different name though I am confident they will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.